Old 12-04-2011, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Why not just throw a stable low flying mid like a Buzzz on this shot? Seems like there would be a lot less guess work in terms or release angle and power level...
It's too low for the Buzzz...To get there you really have to flirt with the ceiling, and it's also sandy so there is NO skip or slide if you hit the ground early. It also requires more left to right movement than the Buzzz can do and still pull out of....I used to throw my Buzzz there, but my percentages of getting in the circle were pretty low.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:13 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Going through the thread on DGR, I saw somebody comment "this is why DGR>DGCR". I also noticed that a thread on DGR describing a new disc that has a lot of people excited gets a post every 2-5 hours on average.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 29
wtf does that have to do with this thread?

the difference is you have people who know what theyre talking about or have something useful to say vs people who talk out of their ass or just complain
Old 12-04-2011, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 6
Nothing.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
It's too low for the Buzzz...To get there you really have to flirt with the ceiling, and it's also sandy so there is NO skip or slide if you hit the ground early. It also requires more left to right movement than the Buzzz can do and still pull out of....I used to throw my Buzzz there, but my percentages of getting in the circle were pretty low.
Fair enough. Throwing an understable disc powered down on an anhyzer and relying on it to hold the angle and fade at the right time doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play, if I could avoid it, but I've never played the hole in question! Do what you gotta do for the 2.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Fair enough. Throwing an understable disc powered down on an anhyzer and relying on it to hold the angle and fade at the right time doesn't seem like a game I'd want to play, if I could avoid it, but I've never played the hole in question! Do what you gotta do for the 2.
Yeah, I would much rather throw a mid myself! Hell, I usually would throw an Ion for that D, but this hole is pretty crazy. Most birdies are the result of a long putt, a poke and hope FH, or some crazy over the top shot that initially has no chance and hits the right tree and falls down by the basket. To have a disc that will carve this line with some repeatability is a stroke on the field...
Old 12-04-2011, 02:32 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Where do you play Josh? There are quite a few holes in Charlotte where an understable disc on an anhyzer (flex) line is the best shot. When I lived in Chicago I never had to throw this type of shot (and never really learned my discs as a result.
Old 12-04-2011, 02:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 66
I live in MN. Plenty of wooded courses around, but not a lot of low ceilings that prohibit me from throwing a Buzzz 275' off the tee. One factor I didn't consider was playing surface. We have a lot of hard packed dirt and absolutely no sand. Generally, a low ceiling shot (in MN) is under dense tree canopy, and you most often get a skip or slide because there isn't much/any grass.

I throw a lot of understable plastic, but usually on a flat shot with some height or a hyzer flip, and most often at near full power. If I'm throwing an understable disc on an anhyzer, it's typically one of three things: a turn into the ground, a really high shot, or a roller. I don't often mess with the balancing act of underpowering understable discs unless it's a putter or I'm trying to get out of trouble in an awkward stance.

Last edited by JoshEpoo; 12-04-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 52
Similar to Discspeed's hole as described above, I've used the FD on a 275' hole that distance wise I'd rather throw a midrange on. However, the hole requires a helicopter shot from a midrange (or a big, big turnover) because the gap to work slightly right to left has a low ceiling. I have thrown an FD there the past 3 rounds flat with with a finesse shot, carving it in at the angle that I want.

While the disc is has a good deal of HS turn, I that when throwing it on shorter distance finesse shots it's pretty predictable. Granted, if you're airing it out 350' you're going to start introducing some more guessing, but so far, it's really predictable on those finesse lines. It's started cooling off here, and I start throwing overstable stuff on big anhyzer lines for distance when the temp dips.

Also, Disc Golf Values pre-orders for the FD end Wednesday. So if you want one, I suggest you pick it up.

Old 12-04-2011, 11:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by zepphead33 View Post
Going through the thread on DGR, I saw somebody comment "this is why DGR>DGCR". I also noticed that a thread on DGR describing a new disc that has a lot of people excited gets a post every 2-5 hours on average.
This is why quality > quantity