Old 12-14-2011, 09:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by araytx View Post
Ok, ok, please let me be clear. I was not suggesting every time a rules violation is called, but I was intending when rules violations are disputed. I agree that a rule is a rule is a rule -- whether a player has a rules manual on him/her has absolutely no bearing on whether or not the rule is there. However my point was about verifying that rule, if disputed. For example, I've dealt with the following in tournaments in the past year:
I was called for an illegal disc when I threw one I had only marked by felt-tipping the weight (175g) on the bottom, because it didn't have a name
I putted from about 30 ft away, hit the cage, and the disc caught an edge and rolled down a sidewalk about 100 ft away and OB. Still being out I immediately grabbed another putter and then made the same putt (optional re-throw), and I was called for an "illegal throw".
And...
once when having to putt from on my knees under a low-hanging set of branches, I marked my drive, grabbed my putter, then took the driver I had already marked and used that disc to kneel on from behind my marker, making the putt. I was called for a stance violation.
All three times the call was seconded and I disputed. All three times I was argued down by the members in my group that yes, that was the rule. So, I ask you, is it really the violator's (or alleged violator's) responsibility to show that the call is NOT a rule? I am sure that the point I made in my earlier post was clouded by the situations I've encountered this past year.

Btw, by the third time, I did have my electronic rule book with me.

Just a thought for you all to ponder, especially Joakim & atl scott.
Couldn't you have just showed the group the OB section of the rule book and point out the part that says you're allowed to rethrow from the previous lie as an option to OB procedures?

Old 12-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 133
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rock View Post
Couldn't you have just showed the group the OB section of the rule book and point out the part that says you're allowed to rethrow from the previous lie as an option to OB procedures?
Yes... That's what I did. But it felt kinda ridiculous that I'm arguing down a whole group, and had to pull the rule book to show them. I passed my official's exam, and obviously doubt if any of them did. But to get it right I had to show these guys who were using "house rules."