Old 09-16-2012, 09:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 155
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
I need some thicker skin

Recently I have changed some things on my course and the criticism is killing my soul. I know what I did was for the best of the course but local players have started a mini bitchfest and criticism of the changes and me personally. It really hurts to be honest. The changes were needed to make the course safer and to break up a stretch of 8 R to L holes in a row. It's amazing how much people resist change.

The changes are all part of a series of phases that will make the course more varied, safer, and more challenging/fun to all players. I was involved in a few other course installations but this one is my design and my concepts. So I take the criticism too hard. I'd like to know how some other designers deal with the harsh critics amongst fellow players and the backstabbing types.

Part of me is afraid to make any future changes I had planned and part of me wants to RAM change down everyone's throat.

it's time like these I'd like to pick Stan McDaniel's brain.....
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
Drink more beer.

Hope that helped.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
Drink more beer.

Hope that helped.
Thanks

it's a better option than going ballistic...although trying not to drink as much these days
Old 09-16-2012, 10:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
All you can do is what you think is right given the information in your brain. Let the chips fall where they may. If it turns out you are wrong, you'll learn and get better.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
There are usually enough players that will agree with your changes. They are your best allies to quiet the cranky ones. That's one reason it can be good to have alternate pins on a course that are changed regularly. Then your players are already used to different looks on your course if you have to or just want to change them.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:16 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 21
Maybe you could take some ideas from other players and get feedback on your ideas. Then whenever anyone bitches they have to complain about a group and not an individual. Mobs are better behaved around other mobs.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by sloppydisc View Post
All you can do is what you think is right given the information in your brain. Let the chips fall where they may. If it turns out you are wrong, you'll learn and get better.
yeah I know.....It's funny I tried to bring a little bit of all the courses I've played into the course. It's very true players only like shots and design styles they are comfortable with.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to bdodson
it will be good when other people comment how good the changes are and hear it from other people than you. I fought with two guys in my old club about changing some holes and neither one liked my idea. then they both individually spoke with other people who agreed with me, and they back tracked and said, I just never thought of it that way.

you are the man, they say damn the man, right?
encourage them to do some research and hindsight is always 20/20...
Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 24
Change it up no matter what everyone else says. Let them bitch if they want. But some change on a course is just new and exciting for me. If you think your changes will make a better course then do it. A good variety of shots is important. I'm RHBR and I get tired of RHBH favored shots. just do what works. and also, feel free to drink more beer. that is wise advise.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
There are usually enough players that will agree with your changes. They are your best allies to quiet the cranky ones. That's one reason it can be good to have alternate pins on a course that are changed regularly. Then your players are already used to different looks on your course if you have to or just want to change them.
yeah I have eventual plans to do alt pins...it's just that everyone thought the initial design was best left alone;safety issues and 8 rhbh hyzers in a row and cheater lanes aplenty.

Most don't think about design they just think I like this hole

It's just amazing how fast players get attached to a particular layout...and yes there are a few who get what I'm doing. I really think the haters are the old school guys who think flicking is not a disc golf skill. It's 2012 and recent pros have proven otherwise.