Disc Golf Store
Old 08-06-2008, 09:36 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 1
Sign Location?

I would like some opinions on preferred tee sing locations at each tee. Do you like them in front on either side or as you approach the tee? Where is the best place to put them? The contractor is coming out to finish the installation of the course tomorrow or friday so I need to mark out the location of the sign posts tonight. Thanks for the help, its been awhile.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: RHBH
I wouldn't place them anywhere toward the back of the tee pad. This may inhibit a run-up that isn't straight down the pad. If the tee signs are over 3ft high, You don't want to place them too close to the front sides of the tee pad. I've seen some signs placed too close that one could hit their hand on during follow-through.
Preferably, they should be placed 4-5ft from the front side of the tee pad.
However, I would evaluate each hole before making a decision.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Par Member

Does it really matter where they are placed? As long as they are not interfering with the shot... But in general, they should be at the front plane of the tee box about 4-5' off to the side?
Old 08-06-2008, 01:16 PM
Par Member

I know that the sign placement can vary, but I just want to keep it consistant and universally acceptable
Old 08-06-2008, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 187
Throwing Style: RHBH
IMO, they should be at the front far enough away from the edge of the tee pad that a player throwing from the very edge would not hit the sign with their follow-through.

Also, I prefer signs that are placed perpendicular to the fairway, i.e. when you're reading/facing the sign you're also facing the fairway. I've seen a decent number of courses that mount the signs parallel to the fairway so when you read the sign you're looking perpendicular to the fairway. For courses without defined tee pads that can be confusing.

ERic
Old 08-06-2008, 01:30 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 37
Throwing Style: LHBH
Sometimes it is nice to be standing on the tee box and be able to see the sign with the hole layout, so that advocates for front of tee box off to the side 4-5 feet. Also, I think the sign should point you in the direction you are throwing... this is usually obvious, but if you walk up to a tee box, reading the sign should leave you in the same direction you are throwing (at least I would think).

I really think each hole needs its own evaluation since different shots off the tee will be needed and different landscapes may prohibit the placement of a sign "60 inches left of the front of the tee box" on every single hole.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Par Member

I see ERicJ has some of the same opinions I do... and was writing at the same time I was... so, sorry for the repeat a little.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:46 PM
Par Member

Alright. Thats the info I was looking for! I pretty much have it like that now, I am going to do another walk thru tonight to make sure everything is in the right place for tomorrow. I am gonna bring my camera too.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA_Disc View Post
I am gonna bring my camera too.
I'm excited, man. I am looking forward to seeing the pics... and even more so I am looking forward to to playing it soon!

Old 08-06-2008, 01:56 PM
Par Member

Update on the final install of the course. The Twp. has hired a contractor to finish the remainder of the work at the course. They will be starting tomorrow. I am hoping they will either finish tomorrow or Friday. Not that much work to be done really. Hopefully By this time next week I will have the baskets in and ready for play! The signs will be a couple weeks out(maybe 2?), since I want to measure up the course one last time after the baskets are installed, but it will be playable.