Old 08-06-2008, 11:55 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 239
Throwing Style: RHBH
DGCR in the news

I saw another mention of DGCR on a news site so I thought I'd put together a post that compiles all the mentions in one area for those interested and as a kind of archive for the site.

7/10/2008 - Grand Haven Tribune
http://www.grandhaventribune.com/pai...4939763264.bsp

8/5/2008 - Colorado Mountain College eNews
http://enews.coloradomtn.edu/index.c...ail&artID=2838

9/11/2008 - South Oregon Mail Tribune
http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...EGONOUTDOORS02

11/3/2008 - The Intelligencer
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1615290.html

1/8/2009 - Sacramento Bee
http://www.sacbee.com/livinghere/story/1523983.html

1/20/2009 - Modesto Bee
http://www.modbee.com/sports/story/570485.html

4/22/2009 - The Intelligencer
http://www.phillyburbs.com/news/loca...omplaints.html

5/7/2009 - Santa Ynez Valley Journal
http://www.santaynezvalleyjournal.co...ive/7/19/4375/

11/20/2009 - The Cincinnati Enquirer
http://nky.cincinnati.com/article/C2...rse%20revamped

1/20/2010 - WFIE.com
http://www.14wfie.com/Global/story.asp?S=11853332

Last edited by timg; 01-21-2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:28 PM
*Administrator*

Got a mention in the South Oregon Mail Tribune
Old 09-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 99
Send a message via AIM to magictenor1
Anytime DG is mentioned like that it can't help but raise public awareness which will ultimately help our sport grow.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 183
I guess we just keep posting signs and putting up cards for the site and it will keep getting recognized like it should. Nice work.
Old 09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 60
Here's the Grand Haven Article in text since the link doesn't seem to work.

Local disc golf hit with a bogey?

Thu, Jul 10, 2008 to del.icio.us
BY NATE THOMPSON
nthompson@grandhaventribune.com

SPRING LAKE TOWNSHIP — There's enough activities at Rycenga Park to keep area residents like Spring Lake's Frank Rytlewski coming back to the 80-acre facility almost every day.

But one of Rytlewski and his group of friend's favorite summer pastimes at the park may soon be taken away by Township officials.

Citing a consistent problem of littering, vandalism and other problems, Spring Lake Township supervisor John Nash said the popular disc golf course at the park may soon be removed.

"Whoever uses it has been causing problems and it hasn't stopped," Nash said. "We've seen them break down posts and markers, we've found a lot of beer cans lying around when we agreed that we weren't going to allow (alcohol) on the course.

"We've tried to put signs up, but it's like we're not the police, so they don't have to listen to us. I guess the only way we can get their attention is by taking it down."

Rytlewski, who was joined on the course Tuesday by Grand Haven residents Courtney Arnold and Chuck Schmidt, said he's heard rumors of the course's demise, and was discouraged that its 18 baskets would likely be gone before the end of summer.

"Basically, it's a bunch of (punk) kids out here and that trash everything and don't respect nothing," Rytlewski said. "I know a lot of people who love to play, but it's the ones that are hardly ever out here that are doing it. It pisses me off.

Click to enlarge
"They say littering is a problem, but you don't notice any garbage cans (on the course)," he added.

Rycenga Park is the only location in the Tri-Cities that offers disc golf, with the next closest being Ross Park in Norton Shores, McGraft Park in Muskegon, or several courses in Hudsonville and the Grand Rapids area.

Several rules of the game are similar to the regular sport of golf, except that clubs are replaced by various sizes of Frisbee discs, and players aren't aiming for a small hole in the ground, but rather a large 3-foot tall steel basket.

"The same basic scoring applies and your goal is the same — to get the disc into the basket in as few throws as possible," said Tim Gostovic, who provides reviews on hundreds of courses on his Web site, DGCourseReview.com. "Depending on the course, you could find yourself in an open field, a park setting or in a forest, so different areas or even the same city can be vastly different from one another. Often times, a piece of land that may not be suitable for other activities will work well for a disc golf course."

Most players carry three basic types of discs — a driver (for long throws), a mid-range, and a putter. Each disc has its own properties — "some may tend to go to the right, some straight, some to left," Gostovic said.

"A lot of the time you'll see 3-disc starter packs in the sporting goods stories for around $20," he added. "It's a pretty economic sport to get into considering you can play a lot of courses for free."

Nash said Rycenga Park's free-to-play course was established in 2005, when Chuck Rycenga, the founder of Grand Haven's Rycenga Lumber, worked with the Township to establish the activity.

"We found ways to privately raise funds for it, and made a very nice disc golf course," Nash said. "At the time, we even got a group of young guys who knew a thing or two about (the game) and helped design the course."

The course features 18 hole markers with the distance and heavy-duty baskets with chains — one object that vandals haven't bothered, Nash said.

Most holes on Rycenga's course are less than a 300-yard throw from the tee signs to the basket, but dense woods and dog-legs push up the difficulty significantly. That was true to form Tuesday, when at times, Rytlewski and his playing partners had to walk through thick foilage to locate their discs, while swatting away at mosquitoes. Every ensuing throw must occurr at where the disc lands, regardless of the obstacles that may be in the way.

"We need some bug spray in the worst way," Schmidt said.

Aside from that hazard, the sport seems to be taking off across America, Gostovic said.

"Since I started my site a little over a year ago, I think at least 150 new courses have been added with plenty more in the works," he said. "At the moment there are over 2,300 courses in the U.S. with new ones being put in the ground regularly. The casual player count is more than likely in the millions and there are tournaments and competitions happening every week around the country for the more serious/competitive players."

If officials do go through with their plan to remove the game, Rytlewski said he'd unfortunately give up the activity instead of traveling to play.

"It's just something out here that's fun to do, and once you play, it's addicting," he said. "I know a lot of people that come out here and play. That's where I've met a lot of my friends."

He even had a solution to make sure the course would be sparkling clean.

"If that's the only problem, I'll volunteer to come out here and pick up trash. I'd happily do that."
Old 11-04-2008, 11:09 AM
*Administrator*

DGCR got a mention in The Intelligencer. A couple of members also got mentions.
Old 11-04-2008, 12:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
DGCR got a mention in The Intelligencer. A couple of members also got mentions.
Here is the article.

Disc golf course a hole in one with fans

By HILARY BENTMAN
The Intelligencer

A steep slope strewn with fallen leaves and branches makes walking from the first hole to the second a tricky endeavor.

Getting a clear view of the target from the rubber tee is also hairy considering the towering trees blocking the line of sight.

It's a traditional golfer's worst nightmare.

So it's probably a good thing this course doesn't host the conventional game.

Disc golf lovers have a new home in Milford at the recently opened course at Unami Creek Park off Allentown Road outside of Quakertown.

Free and open to the public, the nine-hole course, measuring more than 3,000 feet, has so far been well-received, with positive reviews on local disc golf Web sites.

“This course has it all. Great elevation changes, water, trees, hidden holes and so much more,” wrote online reviewer “misfitrev” on www.dgcoursereview.com.

Also weighing in, reviewer “adlacro” wrote, “This is the best 9 holer in the Lehigh Valley and I'm sure if you played two rounds, you will truly see the real glory of this great course. Kudos to all who designed and were involved, this was a well deserved treat for dg'ers and yet another standout course in the Lehigh Valley area.”

One criticism, however, is the course should have the complete 18 holes. The township wanted to first evaluate its reception and could install the remaining nine holes in the future.

Disc golf, which has been around for decades, may not be a household term yet, but it is gaining in popularity. There are courses in nearby Tinicum Park and Nockamixon State Park.
Click Here!

Milford's park board had wanted to provide an activity that would appeal to residents in their 20s and 30s, a demographic often difficult to serve, said Bob Irick, board chairman.

Fellow board member Fred Retter, an avid disc golfer, suggested the idea and helped design the $18,000 course.

Similar to traditional golf, the goal of disc golf is to get an object into a hole positioned hundreds of feet away.

But there are no clubs or balls here. Instead players throw special discs, similar to Frisbees, and try to get them into raised chain-link baskets. There are three types of discs — putters, mid-range and drivers.

The Unami Creek course is mostly wooded, except for the first few holes, and is marked by sharp changes in elevation and a water hazard at the fourth hole, which rests alongside the Unami Creek.

Playing the course requires a fair amount of hiking from hole to hole.

“We were trying to find something appropriate for the terrain and the geography,” said township manager Jeff Vey. “It's somewhat unobtrusive on environmental features.”

Reservations for “tee times” are not required. Currently, players must supply their own equipment, but the township is in the process of acquiring some discs to rent out.

The course is open year-round, even in winter, “if you don't mind traipsing around in the snow,” said Irick.
Hilary Bentman can be reached at 215-538-6380 or hbentman@phillyBurbs.com.

November 3, 2008 7:52 AM

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/ne...8-1615290.html
Old 12-03-2008, 12:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 10
Send a message via Yahoo to sub ceroh
The paper in my area was trying to write an article on DG but asked for help on local dg sites that are dead. Too late for me do do anything about it but now I know where to tell them to go the next time.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 7
the altoona mirror

http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/co...1.html?nav=821

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
*Administrator*

I don't see a DGCR reference in that article.. ?