Old 02-27-2014, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: LHBH
Magic vs. PA4

I'm going through my bi-monthly putter shuffle (waiting for throwfromthewoods to judge me), and I have seen a lot of people throw out the PA4 and Magic comparisons. However, there wasn't a dedicated thread for it, so I thought I'd start one to see if people want to give some more concrete feedback.

I threw the PA4 for a bit last year and enjoyed it, but even the 300 Prodigy plastic is pretty expensive. Is the PA4 a Magic clone, or are there noticeable differences in the circle? I'm thinking about snagging a Magic just to mess with, but I'd like to hear some more about it first. (Plus, it's raining here for once today, so I need something to occupy my time.) Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 11:28 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 106
Throwing Style: RHBH
I want to say they feel different but never had 2 at the same time to compare. magics are pretty deep if I remember though? outside of plastic feels its really a wash for flight with this kind of design.

Magic
•Diameter: 21.0cm
•Height: 2.1cm
•Rim Depth: 1.5cm
•Rim Width: 1.0cm

Pa4
•Diameter: 21.0cm
•Height: 1.9cm
•Rim Depth: 1.4cm
•Rim Width: 1.0cm

(infinitediscs)
Old 02-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Par Member

I think the Pa4 is closer to the proto magic, xlhammy may be able to comment on that.

Doesn't Nikko put with a Pa4? He was using a magic before he left gateway. It would explain a similarity. I have fondled both, the Pa4 feels a bit trimmer in hand, but they are pretty close. Fly very similar for me.

I have a medium magic if you want to play with one
Old 02-27-2014, 11:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 106
yeah for sure proto magics feel different compared to production. kinda magic vs pa4 in that sense.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:40 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 14
Nikko is putting with PA1s

The comparison of these two discs are well deserved. The PA4 does feel more sleek bc of the Higher parting line. They are able to produce a lower shouldered feeling disc by changing up the parting line of the two molds. I have had two 400s PA4 and they have flown very differently. The proto has decent HSS while the stock run was a flippy POS that couldn't handle any pop. I've been pretty bummed about this bc my proto was a $ disc for short drives.

I'm a magic fan (Gateway actually) because of the abundance, quality and price of their products. You can hoard magics at a fraction of the cost of 300s PA4 and I'd also bet you prefer the plastic blends of the magic.

If you've felt magics and they feel comfortable in your hand, i would urge you to use them.
If you just want one disc for driving, the 400s PA4 might be your better option bc of the premium plastic.
In the circle: MAGIC wins ALL day. They'll season up nicely, hold their shape better and be more affordable.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 16
As much as I love gateway plastic, the pa4 is way more comfy in my hand than a magic. My retailer tried to tell me I was splitting hairs while we were talking about them. Set them side by side, it simply is not true. Magic has a higher shoulder fo sho. The rim felt a little different too. The pa4 feels perfect. As far as flight inside the circle, your guess is as good as mine. I would say they are probably equal. For all intents and purposes, yes, the pa4 is a magic clone but I say there are important differences even so.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 02-27-2014 at 11:46 AM.
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 1
For all intents and purposes, it's the same disc. (From what I've read, and fondled) Magics come in sweet plastic blends.

Go with the Magic.
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcassidy1990 View Post
Nikko is putting with PA1s

The comparison of these two discs are well deserved. The PA4 does feel more sleek bc of the Higher parting line. They are able to produce a lower shouldered feeling disc by changing up the parting line of the two molds. I have had two 400s PA4 and they have flown very differently. The proto has decent HSS while the stock run was a flippy POS that couldn't handle any pop. I've been pretty bummed about this bc my proto was a $ disc for short drives.

I'm a magic fan (Gateway actually) because of the abundance, quality and price of their products. You can hoard magics at a fraction of the cost of 300s PA4 and I'd also bet you prefer the plastic blends of the magic.

If you've felt magics and they feel comfortable in your hand, i would urge you to use them.
If you just want one disc for driving, the 400s PA4 might be your better option bc of the premium plastic.
In the circle: MAGIC wins ALL day. They'll season up nicely, hold their shape better and be more affordable.
I don't keep track of who puts with what so thanks for the clarification. I back up the magic promotion. And you can order them direct from gateway so get a whole set from the same run. Very beneficial.
Old 02-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by geo_08 View Post
I don't keep track of who puts with what so thanks for the clarification. I back up the magic promotion. And you can order them direct from gateway so get a whole set from the same run. Very beneficial.
Lol the only reason I know is I saw him post it on FB after his win at the GCC. I'd still bet he has PA1 stamped Wizards....lol. But that's for another thread

Old 02-27-2014, 11:49 AM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 43
Gateways base plastic is way better and they have many more options of stiffness. The Magic actually doesn't feel as deep as the specs say. I find it excellent for flight, feel, cost and availability.