Old 04-29-2015, 12:51 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 109
Throwing Style: RHBH
Serpent vs Shaman vs War Spear

I'm contemplating kicking my Summit out for one of these. I only putt with the Summit, including jump-putts, so I don't really care too much how they throw. I putted a lot with Magics before moving to the Summit thanks to its lower profile and these three seem like low pro Magic-related. I spush putt generally.

So, if you're an ex-Magic/Summit putter'er which one of these bad boys would you pick for inside the circle deadliness?

Things I like in a putter: Low profile, neutrality, scuff/nick resistance

Things I don't like: Glide, nose-angle sensitivity, slickness, dumpy fade.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2015, 12:54 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 21
I have zero Serpent or War Spear experience but Shaman sounds like what you described. I think I have one let me check my disc pile...if I do it's yours!

Magics always felt great but I never gave them a chance and Summits were my only Vibram love affair. Eventually I went back to Magnets from Summits but they were quite fun to throw for a while. I had a tough time judging them both on turn (or lack thereof) AND distance. Once I admitted to myself rubber wasn't for me it was smooth sailing

Last edited by GripEnemy; 04-29-2015 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 4
Try a Serpent for sure, I think you will like it. I have putted with magics and summits for a while (currently using wizards). Magics felt just a touch too thick to me, I liked the feel of Summits a lot better.

Although I haven't thrown a Serpent I got to fondle one at a tourney recently and I think I preferred the feel of it over the Summit actually. I have a Shaman and although I liked it for drives it was too fast to putt with, and faded harder than I felt it should when slowed down. Makes even a Summit feel deep.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 31
Serpent is deep dish.

Shaman is suuuuper low pro, and neutral with good hss.

The war spear I have is straight grade A beef, like freaky OS. It flies like a mini firebird, never goes straight and starts to turn early.

Good luck.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:36 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 4
I have proto war spear and devil hawk and of the two the devil hawk is the glideless meathook. The war spear flies more or less neutral with minimal glide and slight fade.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:37 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Serpent is a little deeper than the magic- about 0.3 cm difference. I've got one if you would like to try it out. Its definitely has a neutral flight,comes in a good grippy/rubbery plastic, and has low glide. I'll probably be at RL Smith this Saturday morning if you want to swing by and pick it up.
Old 04-29-2015, 03:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCrawford View Post
Serpent is a little deeper than the magic- about 0.3 cm difference. I've got one if you would like to try it out. Its definitely a neutral flight,comes in a good grippy/rubbery plastic, and has low glide. I'll probably be at RL Smith this Saturday morning if you want to swing by and pick it up.
I'm a little too far north to swing by but I appreciate it. Does the serpent feel deeper than the magic with the thumb track?

Gripenemy was nice enough to donate a shaman so anybody feel free to send me a war spear and serpent, you know, for science.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:29 PM
Par Member

Have you tried a Spike? If I was going to switch back to ultra-low profile putters, I favor the Spike over the Shaman. The Shaman was too low profile even for me. Though one of the three I had was slightly domed. That one felt a little better. The board flat ones I just couldn't get comfortable with at all.
Old 04-29-2015, 04:30 PM
Reptilian Disc Golf

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
I'm a little too far north to swing by but I appreciate it. Does the serpent feel deeper than the magic with the thumb track?

Gripenemy was nice enough to donate a shaman so anybody feel free to send me a war spear and serpent, you know, for science.
PM me your addy and I'll have a Serp sent your way.
I don't want to sound overconfident but the Serpent is really strong for folks that like straight flying putters that has less glide than most.

Always like to spread the joy of receiving a free disc now and then

Old 04-29-2015, 06:07 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 24
Grab the serpent in fossil fuel- that stuff is awesome- grips a little better when slightly wet, and we all know how much sweaty hands come up in NC summer rounds