Disc Golf Center
Old 04-24-2015, 10:01 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 27.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Help with Jade selection (weight & plastic)

I've pretty much decided that I need to stick with lower power and weight drivers because I'm an old guy with a compromised shoulder (LHBH, 200-250 drive distances). Currently primarily driving with 150g Champion Leopard and 150g Champion Sidewinder. I've been using Joe's Universal Flight Chart and the Flight Analyzer to help generate info as I look for drivers that I can squeeze a little more distance out of to help me to have a shot at birdies on 250-300' holes. I tried a TP Hatchet (166g) but it is a little too heavy for me. Thinking about trying the Jade since it comes in 150 class weights. Need help choosing disc weight and plastic. Some other discs I've tried may provide clues:
Opto Diamond 150g- didn't fly well for me; seemed too LSS but maybe I didn't give it enough of a chance
Frost Line Diamond 150g- way to flippy but loved the feel of the plastic
Gold Line River 160g- love it but I find myself overthrowing to get the right flight pattern

What do you all think? I was thinking maybe 155g GL Jade.......
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2015, 10:20 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 58
My goto driver is a 157 Opto Jade, and it's great. Always has the fade at the end, handles wind pretty good. I think the higher 150s would be best (BTW, I am also over 50 and LHBH)....

I generally prefer GL plastic, and have a GL Jade, but I have not thrown it much. It's white, so it was out for the winter, now it's getting a dye job, so I have not had it in the bag much.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:54 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 29
You also might consider going up in weight and try something slower. It may seem counter productive to what you're thinking but, not only might you see more distance right away, but your form will most likely improve and it really doesn't take that much force on the body, with excellent form, to get a speed 4 or 5 out to 300'. Also, try DX plastic. I know it beats up fast but it has less drag overall. Hence, more glide.

If I were you, I'd pick up a high 160's DX or KC Pro Rancho Roc and a max weight DX Classic Roc. Keep in mind, for form improvement, you gotta drive with them unless you'd rather do field work.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:59 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Try a west side underworld!
Old 04-24-2015, 11:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Jade sounds like a great choice. Very nice disc.

Try for the upper 150s.

Opto or Gold Line, both are good.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:13 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questatement View Post
You also might consider going up in weight and try something slower. It may seem counter productive to what you're thinking but, not only might you see more distance right away, but your form will most likely improve and it really doesn't take that much force on the body, with excellent form, to get a speed 4 or 5 out to 300'. Also, try DX plastic. I know it beats up fast but it has less drag overall. Hence, more glide.

If I were you, I'd pick up a high 160's DX or KC Pro Rancho Roc and a max weight DX Classic Roc. Keep in mind, for form improvement, you gotta drive with them unless you'd rather do field work.
I already throw a DX Roc (171g) as my stable mid-range. Love it as a long approach disc but it definitely is not as long as my Leo or SW. I use heavier discs for P&A and Mids as I don't have to overthrow them to get them to do want I want. Perhaps you've got something with working on improving form.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:15 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWaggoner View Post
Try a west side underworld!
wouldn't that be about the same as my Sidewinder?
Old 04-24-2015, 12:51 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdoggies View Post
What do you all think? I was thinking maybe 155g GL Jade.......
Good weight; try both! My observations:

A 155g GL Jade is my primary "distance" driver. The GL molds up a little less domey than the OPTO, so it flies super straight from a flattish release with minimal finishing fade. Bombs in a tailwind and holds really nice anhyzer lines...

A 155g OPTO Jade is my hyzer-flip / uphill / slight wind "distance" driver. The OPTO, in particular the sparkle OPTO, molds up with a nice dome for good glide and a touch of fade...
Old 04-24-2015, 12:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdoggies View Post
I already throw a DX Roc (171g) as my stable mid-range. Love it as a long approach disc but it definitely is not as long as my Leo or SW. I use heavier discs for P&A and Mids as I don't have to overthrow them to get them to do want I want. Perhaps you've got something with working on improving form.
Could it be that your Roc is shorter because you don't attempt max distance with it and you only 'approach' with it? The only way I was able to go the mid / putter only route when I started getting serious about improving my form was to leave the old go-to's at home... not in the trunk of the car

Now, assuming I have a 15' ceiling, I would use less 'effort' getting a speed 3 of the same stability as the Roc out to 275' vs. the Roc itself. Forget the guy who can get his putter out 350'... that guy is not us (grand masters) nor will it ever be but there is something to be said for using the max distance of a given disc to range and reduce overall effort in the process.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:13 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questatement View Post
Could it be that your Roc is shorter because you don't attempt max distance with it and you only 'approach' with it? The only way I was able to go the mid / putter only route when I started getting serious about improving my form was to leave the old go-to's at home... not in the trunk of the car

Now, assuming I have a 15' ceiling, I would use less 'effort' getting a speed 3 of the same stability as the Roc out to 275' vs. the Roc itself. Forget the guy who can get his putter out 350'... that guy is not us (grand masters) nor will it ever be but there is something to be said for using the max distance of a given disc to range and reduce overall effort in the process.
I'm intrigued by your comments. I always just assumed that to get more distance on my Roc I had to just throw it harder (with more force). What I'm looking for is to use less force because when I overthrow it torques my shoulder (hurts) and then I have to let it rest for a week or so before throwing again. I'll do some more work with my Roc, concentrating on form and see what happens. Thanks!