Old 04-30-2016, 08:23 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.8
Courses Played: 21
Default This is why I like private courses

Today's announcement at GBO that Friday rounds from Olpe course will not be count is unfortunate especially from an important event like an NT. The reason for the cancellation is not because of the rain, every course receives rain sooner or later. It is because this is a public park and as with many parks its located on a flood plain, generally unusable land for anything else.

Its time we see real investment in courses, building on private land with proper facilities. We as a sport need to suck it up and say "I'm willing to pay $500-$700/year to play on high quality facilities that are specifically dedicated to disc golf. Essentially we need to take the model for a private ball golf course and apply it to disc golf.

There are lots of private DG courses out there but not enough. We as the sport's general population need to change our mentality that we are cheap and this is a cheap sport to play. If you are really excited to play disc golf then show it with your wallet.

I live in an area where DG is relatively new but growing fast, unfortunately we are not going to see a private course too soon (unlike Maine just below us) however I would pay the price to have a dedicated facility.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2016, 08:47 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
We as a sport need to suck it up and say "I'm willing to pay $500-$700/year to play on high quality facilities that are specifically dedicated to disc golf.
Lulz. No thank you.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:01 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 13.7
Courses Played: 51

Coming from someone that plays a lot of ball golf, most ball golfers won't even pay that to play for a year.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:03 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 18

There is no way I would pay that much to play the same course over and over again, the boredom would kill the game for me. It's one of the reasons I never joined a course/club when I played ball golf.
Old 04-30-2016, 09:21 AM
Bending Rodriguez

Years Playing: 11
Courses Played: 120
Send a message via AIM to B3NDER

So. much. hilarity.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 107

Obviously we are a long ways off from ball golf, but I believe we will eventually have some very nice disc golf facilities in the future. I've been playing for 20+ years and watched as we had very few courses to having many courses that includes a few pay to play courses and a handful of complexes around the country. And it amazes me the number of people that play now along with the desires for disc golf to become mainstream. A beautiful disc golf only facility somewhere is only a matter of time imo.

BRP and Visionquest are just the beginning.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 25

Then get ready for $90 putters.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:21 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21.7
Courses Played: 107

I want to add that I played all of the courses at the IDGC two weeks ago and thought I was in heaven. It's a beautiful park, the facilities were top notch and the golf courses were amazing. I believe we will have more places like this in the future.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 113

combining ball golf and disc golf is the best scenario for better courses. The land that's too rough for ball golf is ideal for disc golf. Large tracts of land are hard to come by.

Old 04-30-2016, 10:29 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 21.4
Courses Played: 131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
Its time we see real investment in courses, building on private land with proper facilities. We as a sport need to suck it up and say "I'm willing to pay $500-$700/year to play on high quality facilities that are specifically dedicated to disc golf.
No way. I play disc golf because I'm cheap, it's cheap, the discs are cheap...you get the drift. No way I'm spending anywhere close to $500 on a hobby/year total, much less to support one private course. Next plan, please.