Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question courses in the St. Louis Area... safety?

I'm not trying to be a 'downer', but I've disc golfed long enough to know that often times, disc golf courses can get 'stuck' in areas of towns that are less then 'perfect', due to wanting traffic in an area or it just happens to be available space.
That being said, when it was just my wife and I, have a rather open policy that we can make about whatever work, unless a police officer tells us to 'find another course'... Which one of KC's finest did once.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone can tell a couple of 'nice' courses in the St. Louis area (or North West of there) that we should play, but can feel safe taking my 2 young daughters?
Again, not sure I would even ask this question if it wasn't for the girls... or if I knew the area a little better.
Not trying to offend anyone, just want a good experience.
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2015, 12:17 PM

Courses Played: 17

I can't really think of any courses in the Stlouis area I would really consider in a "bad" part of town. The only one to maybe avoid would be White birch park. Last time I was there was ALOT of graffiti covering everything and the kids may see some foul language ect.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 194

I am guessing we all have our own definitions of "safe" and individual opinions on what might consitute "unsafe". I would say the best thing to do is pre scout your local courses and make the call yourself. Good luck and I hope you find someplace to take the family and "grow the sport".

Your profile indicates you have been playing disc golf for a month.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 131

IMO, there is almost no such thing as "unsafe". you project yourself on the world, your perception IS reality - do your thing and don't bother anyone else and you should be fine... to satisfy your fears/anxiety, keep that phone on 911 speed dial. always tell your loved ones/friends your plans so they can know where you are and your timeframe, just in case.
Old 07-13-2015, 01:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.8
Courses Played: 49

I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not. I can't tell you how many courses I've been told were dangerous or unsafe to play in, and when I went it turned out it was just a black middle class neighborhood with nothing to worry about.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 33
Courses Played: 194

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not. I can't tell you how many courses I've been told were dangerous or unsafe to play in, and when I went it turned out it was just a black middle class neighborhood with nothing to worry about.
Sadly, that was what I was driving at below. This is not the place for the potential comtemptous conversation around this idea, but...whatever ones concerns may be, they should go make their own decisions.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12
Courses Played: 210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbmercil View Post
I'm always curious when people say "unsafe" or "bad neighborhood" if they actually mean "black part of town" or not.
That's pretty much what is ALWAYS meant. So for the OP, if that's your concern, you'll want to avoid the Ferguson course.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 345
Throwing Style: LHFH

You should check out Quail Ridge or Fort Zumwalt in St Charles county as they are in parks that have Ranger patrol and also playgrounds for the kids.
Old 07-13-2015, 05:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 42
Courses Played: 227

I've played most of the St. Louis courses, including Ferguson a couple of weeks ago. I don't know the neighborhoods, but I've never felt unsafe in any of the courses.

When I'm taking girls (or any other non-hard-core disc golfer) I go in the morning. It's less intimidating when there are not a lot of big arms around.

Old 07-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 62

Indian Camp Creek isn't around people of any kind. And seems to have regular patrols.