Old 05-05-2012, 09:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadlock86 View Post
thanks for the review, Denny.

i still haven't made it out to Selah yet but i would have to agree in principle with something to which Denny alluded. if there are no real wooded fairways, no 5. that's not a complete challenge if you aren't required to hit a tight wooded line.

I can't argue that, it is a little to open.

11,12,14,15 are all are wooded holes but i wouldn't call them technical and they all have have more than fair lines.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Just finished unpacking from the weekend at Selah. Man, what an experience.

A few things to note:

-Recently mowed, although the rough can be (and is supposed to be) punishing; don't throw in the rough.
-Great weather although it's starting to warm up.
-AMAZING hospitality. Had a 45 minute convo with Dave before we left today, just shooting the breeze. Did some tech support for Candy (Cindy?). Super friendly people that really appreciate you staying out there.
-Golf Cart is not mandatory, but after playing 4 rounds, I wouldn't think of walking the course. Especially when the carts are available.
-Lots of poison ivy, everywhere. Wear long socks.
-Didn't come across any snakes, although saw a few in the water.
-Donated lots of plastic to the water. Not even mad about it. Dave told me he encourages everyone to write their names on the discs. When the water gets low they go collect them then put in a Lost & Found bin in the pro shop for the next time you play.

Lakeside is a solid 5, no question. Creekside is somewhere between 4.5-5. Can't wait to see a tournament out there.

Attached are a few photos from the weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg selah2.jpg (87.1 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg selah1.jpg (147.6 KB, 50 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 05:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 147
So if Creekside is a 4.5 and Lakeside is a 5 doesn't Creekside being on the same property as Lakeside bring it up to a 5? Giles math: 4.5+5=10

I also don't think tight tech holes are needed to make a 5 or hilly pin locations. I like the continuety of the course just fine.

I'm not offended by the rating or anything, just my thoughts.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:44 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post
So if Creekside is a 4.5 and Lakeside is a 5 doesn't Creekside being on the same property as Lakeside bring it up to a 5? Giles math: 4.5+5=10

I also don't think tight tech holes are needed to make a 5 or hilly pin locations. I like the continuety of the course just fine.

Some people bump up ratings for multiple courses on site, others don't. Personally I'll mention it in the review as a pro, but my rating is solely based on the merits of the design of that one individual course.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: LHBH
Pretty much this. I interpret the system to be rating a course, not a location.

Does it seem fair to rate both Cedar Hill courses the same? I haven't played them, but from what I have read it seems like one is more challenging than the other. I would think they would need two separate ratings, just as the courses at Selah do.

Is Creekside as good as Lakeside? IMHO, no. With that being said, if (when?) Creekside drops below a 5, that doesn't make it any less of an experience. I enjoyed both courses thoroughly. If we were rating locale, I would give it an 11/10. But we're rating 2 separate courses, and when compared against eachother, they are not equal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Some people bump up ratings for multiple courses on site, others don't. Personally I'll mention it in the review as a pro, but my rating is solely based on the merits of the design of that one individual course.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:08 PM
*Super Moderator*

Good points. It's also worth remembering that a 4.5 means it's a phenomenal course, I'd go way out of my way to play a solid 4.5 course even if it wasn't on the same property as an even better course.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by giles View Post

I am not talking about anyone individual...... I think if you polled all of the trusted reviewers that you would find that a majority of them favor wooded courses over open ones. It might make it a little less likely that they would give an open style course a 5, especially without major elevation and some sweet over the water shots.(Not saying that Selah does or doesn't have these, I have not played it.) Flip isn't heavily wooded, but it's about the experience and the atmosphere and not the Championship level golf. I gather this from reading Flip City reviews. Also, I have heard it mentioned by a couple of TRs that the longer course is a little open for their taste, but still thought it phenomenal. Considering the fact that I have only played 54 courses, they will both probably blow me away, along with the overall experience. You knew that the 5 average couldn't last and for any course to survive 20-50 reviews with a 5 average is asking a little too much, we humans are just too diverse with our likes and dislikes for that to happen IMO.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
Good points. It's also worth remembering that a 4.5 means it's a phenomenal course, I'd go way out of my way to play a solid 4.5 course even if it wasn't on the same property as an even better course.
^^^I told a friend that I had given Creekside a 4.5 and when she asked "why?", I responded, "because it's an awesome course that I'd recommend to anyone that loves to travel to experience great disc golf."
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
*Super Moderator*

Well said.

Old 05-09-2012, 03:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
ditto!
some great thoughts on the last page here

after rereading my last post, it makes me wonder if i will end up changing my tune after playing the course. denny's logic seems to say that a 5.0 course must be a complete challenge. at first i agreed but maybe i don't. i guess it really depends on the course in question.