Old 03-26-2013, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.8
Courses Played: 117
I hate myself for not GPSing those courses.

I mapped Creekside in Google Maps and got 1.38 miles for the front and 1.42 for the back (walking/cart distance, i.e. around water). That's 2.80 total, plus distance between the 9's, plus to and from the cart barn.

I have started on Lakeside but can't make out the woods holes very well. Back to the hating myself part.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by grodney View Post
And then you said "Nee hun piow liang". That's all the Mandarin I know. Actually, not even sure it's Mandarin. Ha ha, I'm so cultured.
Are you calling me very beautiful or the courses? Erika says hen would be closer than hun...but characters would be easier for her to read (she's home on spring break).

It carries increasing weight to me seeing 5.0's from you for the 2 Selah courses (and from others whom I generally agree with). And as I have said before, it makes it even more a testament to what John was able to do with the design considering that the land appears to be mostly flat.

Is it me or is it ironic that the 2 holes that seem from the pictures to use the most elevation elements in them are picked out as among the least favorite (at least by pwingles and you)?

Hole 3:

Hole 14:

.....Hole 16 too uses a hump and appears to also incorporate a low ceiling for the ideal airway from the Reds at least (Blue tee not pictured), and it is hard to see what is past the rise.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
Pwingles, a 4.8 rounds to five, no? Or are you just saying subjectively you think its 4.5 but can see it being rated higher but the reviewing population?

I agree with grodney too. I think creekside 3 and 10 are two of the best holes on the course. Both designed with many options off the tee with water in play and fair landing zones. Classic risk reward. Both are tough indeed.

IIRC, John said that he thought 10 was one of the best holes in golf. That doesn't mean its true but he's seen alot more courses than any of us(for the most part).
If this were math and we were rounding up yes. But this is a much more subjective and less scientific exercise

My review, both on the course review and in this thread are flawed imo. I really didnt spend enough time describing what i loved about the courses. I figured everything i could say was already summed up by others.

I believe this made my critiques sound more harsh. But, i still have the opinion that i wrote as far as the neg's go.

LS 14 has a very clear way to play it for birdie/par. As stated previously, throw to the bottom of the hill (the higher you make it up the hill the harder it is) then throw over the trees and pray you have a putt.

Its not that you cant score well potentially. Its that a simple description of how to do it makes it sound like the luck factor is at a reasonable level. I dont believe it is. Its a personal opinion but, i dont believe that im the only one that feels that way about it either.

Creek 3, the route i dislike because of how the hole plays from the right and middle . My line of choice was to the left and the. A turnover across the water. I felt like the trees guarding the entry to the latter half of the fairway and the green was gimmicky.

10 felt gimmicky and forced. 15, my beef is really just with the trees 20 ft i. Fron of the tee.

*edit
Dave, that is the wrong hole 3. That is lakeside 3, i didn hate it, just thought it was a filler hole.

Last edited by Pwingles; 03-26-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:52 PM
* Ace Member *

I never think pictures capture elevation well, and it's especially true of the Selah photos (sorry photogs!). Why didn't I take pics for DGCR? I blame the lack of leaves.

#3 is just the back of a dam/dike, and the elevation is pretty inconsequential to the throw.

Elevation comes much more into play on the Lakeside woods holes (8 through 16). I see why Houck was questioning "mostly flat" earlier in the thread. But I wouldn't change it.

On your #16 pic, after the rise is a big gently-downhill area, with maybe a couple-hundred feet of openness until the basket behind a couple mature trees.

Check out the difference that leaves make. And also the angle. And the exposure/etc. Here's one of our pics of Creekside #6 (301 ft) compared to the existing DGCR shot. I think I like our pic better, but the leaves are really absent.

Ours:

DGCR:
Old 03-26-2013, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
Your photo of LS 14 is def not the view from the blue pad
Old 03-26-2013, 01:59 PM
* Ace Member *

I think Dave was clear on the #3's. Lake is a short filler hole that's pretty weak (but has the elevation of the dam/dike). Creek is a par-4 disliked by Pwing but loved by me.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
You guys are making me want to take a trip.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
That's called "fever", son.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
So close dude. You gotta get over there! Let me know if you do. It will give me a good excuse to go too

VIP trip to selah would be awesome!

Old 03-26-2013, 02:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
So close dude. You gotta get over there! Let me know if you do. It will give me a good excuse to go too

VIP trip to selah would be awesome!
Definately VIP trip would be awesome.