Old 03-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Checking it looks tob be 3.5-4 hours from my house. I will definately make the trip sometime.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:27 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 129
I mapped out these two courses and noticed they were on my way to Dallas where I'm going next week for a weeding and will be passing through so I emailed Dave to let him know I was interested in playing. I let him know that I will only be passing through and have time to play only 1 of the courses and I'll be with my wife and daughter. I considered renting a golf cart for my family so it would not be so hard on them and I could focus on playing. Well the ALL DAY green fee is $20 and $30 to rent the cart based on this site so I thought I would check and see if since I was playing 1 course with my family if basically that price was going to really be $50. Dave's response was:

"we are two private courses, ranked #1 and #2 in the world. The reason you want to play at Selah Ranch is because they are "the best courses" and in order for them to stay that way we must charge a daily fee for the golf and a the same for the cart. We are not subsidized by government funds, we pay funds to the government. While it would be nice to give our product to everyone, our product would soon, not be nice for anyone. Our rates are the same for all, and everyone pays $20.00 daily green fee and $30.00 daily cart fee. We do not charge for your wife and child to accompany you, and the parking is free."

I am a bit taken back by the fact that he basically doesn't care or not if I come, it's $50 sorry and we have the best courses in the "world". I mean come one I expected something like I could play for $10 if playing 1 course or $30 total with the cart. Okay, I've obviously not played it and due to this email probably NEVER will but I just got back a couple of weeks ago from playing Flyboy and I dropped a whole $5 for an absolutely great course along with the best hospitality that one could ask for. Oh well I thought it was a bit ridiculous.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 19
Wow, that's absurdly arrogant. I'll play Flip for a buck, and enjoy a experience every bit as good.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 124
^^ i think your expecting to pay less is ridiculous.

Can you walk up to a ski resort and say, "i'm only gonna do a couple runs, can i have a discount?". Walk up to Six Flags and say, "i'm only gonna ride two of the rides, can i have a discount?"

$20 is high, even $10 per course is on the high side. But its far from outrageous.

Do you have any idea what those carts cost? And the wear and tear that they take? I know at least one has ended up in the lake. I don't think the $30 is high for what you're getting. Even in ball golf carts are ofter 20-30 dollars whether you have one or two people.

You know why clubs charge a cover? Its not to make money its to keep the rifraf out. And it works as it will at Selah.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
Wow, that's absurdly arrogant. I'll play Flip for a buck, and enjoy a experience every bit as good.
I do not think for 1 second that charging someone for providing an experience is arrogant or anything even close to that. If anything, expecting/demanding everyone to be like Bill at Flip is the sentiment that might be construed as having a negative slant to it.

I also think it is pretty cool/interesting that the DGCR course rating is being used as rationale for their value proposition.

Last edited by Dave242; 03-26-2013 at 02:46 PM.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 51
^Tru-Dat
Old 03-26-2013, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd.bittle View Post
Checking it looks tob be 3.5-4 hours from my house. I will definately make the trip sometime.
I'm in Texas and you're closer than me
Old 03-26-2013, 02:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
So close dude. You gotta get over there! Let me know if you do. It will give me a good excuse to go too

VIP trip to selah would be awesome!
I'm definitly in on this!!! With Jeff and I we already have the snowball rolling!!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

^Sounds like we've got three

Old 03-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 129
It's not a ski resort, six flags or a ball course and most disc golfers have never paid that much to play except for here I assume. My point is that he's put his course so high upon a pedestal cause of the ratings on here I'm sure that it's this price and that's final. It's private and I do understand that but have some pride in your course and allow people to want to come out and enjoy it. (example: howie at Holler in the Hills). Trust me I am not riffraff, I was just looking to play the course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsc430 View Post
^^ i think your expecting to pay less is ridiculous.

Can you walk up to a ski resort and say, "i'm only gonna do a couple runs, can i have a discount?". Walk up to Six Flags and say, "i'm only gonna ride two of the rides, can i have a discount?"

$20 is high, even $10 per course is on the high side. But its far from outrageous.

Do you have any idea what those carts cost? And the wear and tear that they take? I know at least one has ended up in the lake. I don't think the $30 is high for what you're getting. Even in ball golf carts are ofter 20-30 dollars whether you have one or two people.

You know why clubs charge a cover? Its not to make money its to keep the rifraf out. And it works as it will at Selah.

Last edited by ambroze; 03-26-2013 at 02:55 PM.