Old 09-14-2013, 05:30 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 816
Throwing Style: RHBH
There's a technical factor now that Tim can adjust, that way the ratings can be adjusted for courses with lots of OB/water without classifying the course differently from what's really there. I stand by my post above, that for a Texas course it's moderately wooded, but compared to all the courses out there it's definitely lightly wooded.
Old 09-15-2013, 12:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0049 View Post

Example: Shot 15 under par 68 on creekside shorts and it rated that as 959. Something is VERY off about that. When you change the course to moderately wooded and hilly, the round rating is much more accurate.
So you think a 53 on Creekside from the Red tees ought to be rated much higher than 959?
Old 09-15-2013, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
So you think a 53 on Creekside from the Red tees ought to be rated much higher than 959?
At the Feb 9, 2013 Paige and Eric Fundraiser, ratings produced indicated an SSA of 65 on Lakeside longs, and 63 on Creekside longs. Conditions were tough, and it was just one round with few propagators.

I don't know of any rated rounds from the red tees. Personally, I throw about 20 strokes higher from the longs on either course, and I throw in the low to mid 70's on Creekside from the reds. I'm an 825ish rated player who throws in the mid to high 60s on courses having 50 SSAs. Based on that, I imagine the SSA on Creekside from the reds is about 53. So, I'd guesstimate that his 53 should be rated closer to 1000, but I don't think I'd go much higher than that.
Old 09-23-2013, 02:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 106
Yes, that is my point. It should be closer to 1000 in my opinion. It's definitely much higher rated than 959.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
Old 09-24-2013, 10:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cc0049 View Post
Yes, that is my point. It should be closer to 1000 in my opinion. It's definitely much higher rated than 959.
Not doubting your ability, but I have shot casual rounds out there in the mid 50s from the reds and my rating is nowhere close to 1000 (it is 907 if you don't want to look it up). I have only played a handful of rounds out there.

Without seeing tournament scores from them (which we may never see a high level tournament from the red tees), I would think 53 might be 975 based on what I have shot and seen others shoot. The Red tees aren't going to be really challenging to higher level golfers simply because they are designed for 850ish golfers and the distance they throw.

Who knows, I could be way off base and it be rated over 1000. I have been known to throw near 1000 rated rounds. I would like to see a tournament out there to prove it.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 106
I could see 975 if that is what it came out as. 959 is definitely too low though I think. Like you said, it is hard to say for sure without propogating tournament rounds to validate. I'm a 978 rated player currently...I can usually tell when I scored above my rating and when I scored below. That 53 felt like better than my rating.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 44
If you go back and look at the Am Doubles Championships the second round of the Advanced groups is the scramble round on creekside. I believe the third round was everyone's best score round on Lake side. Keep in mind it was cold and windy mixed with rain on both days and all rounds were from the blue tees.

With that being said a 53 from the Reds on creekside on a nice day Might hit a 950. I couldn't see it being much more than that.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:35 PM

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 151
Selah- less fun than some other courses?

i don't know why i want to subject myself to all the hate that'll come my way for this, but I want to express my OPINION. I've played both Selah courses only once in the summer of 2012. Enjoyed it immensely. very well designed courses. The signs and carts were very nice. I felt it was overpriced, [and even so they may not even be meeting expenses, but...whatever].

That being said, I just didn't feel like I had played the best 2 courses.

On the same trip, I played Shawshank and Spring Valley [both in the Houston area] and I thought they were both more fun [esp shawshank]. Since then I've played 2 other courses that I felt were more fun and just had more of a wow factor: Branson Treehouz in southern Missouri and the new South Highland Sports Complex in Mayfield Kentucky.

I just wonder if anyone else that's played Selah has felt it's somewhat over-rated [esp considering the price]. What courses would you rate higher?
Old 10-03-2013, 10:48 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBriscoe View Post
i don't know why i want to subject myself to all the hate that'll come my way for this, but I want to express my OPINION. I've played both Selah courses only once in the summer of 2012. Enjoyed it immensely. very well designed courses. The signs and carts were very nice. I felt it was overpriced, [and even so they may not even be meeting expenses, but...whatever].

That being said, I just didn't feel like I had played the best 2 courses.

On the same trip, I played Shawshank and Spring Valley [both in the Houston area] and I thought they were both more fun [esp shawshank]. Since then I've played 2 other courses that I felt were more fun and just had more of a wow factor: Branson Treehouz in southern Missouri and the new South Highland Sports Complex in Mayfield Kentucky.

I just wonder if anyone else that's played Selah has felt it's somewhat over-rated [esp considering the price]. What courses would you rate higher?
I can understand if you think Shawshank is a more fun course but what about Spring Valley makes you think it is a better course than Selah Ranch? It is an interesting statement.

Old 10-03-2013, 11:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 199
Some people like tight woods, some like open bombs, some like water carries. A lot of it is pure personal opinion. Nothing wrong with feeling that a course isn't your favorite. No harm, no foul. Just don't review a solid course and say it's 1.5 disc course because you think another is more fun.