#941  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:06 AM
grodney's Avatar
grodney grodney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Posts: 2,503
Ahhhh, I wondered about those woods -- the property lines on Google Maps made me wonder if that area was even available (I didn't dig any deeper for ownership), and I didn't walk into them to survey the terrain and/or wet-ness when we were there.

4-to-5 is an interesting thought experiment. I see what you're saying about the 2nd shot -- just not sure I agree. That gives me something to think/fantasize about.

Good stuff -- thanks for the insight.
Reply With Quote
  #942  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:16 AM
johnrhouck johnrhouck is offline
.:Master Course Designer:.
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Austin TX
Years Playing: 38.4
Posts: 426
I fully expect you guys to play the 4-5 hole several times next year and provide a detailed analysis. I think you'd need something to give players more incentive to be close to the water. A big line of trees (or imported yellow rope from USDGC) would be in order.
Reply With Quote
  #943  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:30 AM
grodney's Avatar
grodney grodney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Posts: 2,503
We'll play 4-to-5 if we can break away from playing Lake #14 over and over and over. I see what you mean about some trees, but please no #yellowrope.
Reply With Quote
  #944  
Old 05-06-2014, 09:38 AM
lavon_andy lavon_andy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,139
Lakeside #14 is the hardest hole on the property for me, even beating out lakeside #7.

We went out and played this past weekend (2 rounds at lakeside, 1.5 rounds at creekside since my allergies are worse at creekside due to large fields. Lakeside 7 from shorts has a pretty reasonable route; fairway just short of trees/just through trees if the wind is forgiving, then either throw from there to the water or lay up to the shore and take a short putter across the water.

I took a 3 then a 4 on Lakeside 7 through my two rounds, no lost discs, no shots in the water.

Lakeside 14 on the other hand... First time through you really don't realize what options there are, I took a 7 on the first go around trying to weave down the middle.

By the second round I had realized there's a right for a flick/anny on the left side and a small area to land in where you have a small line to the basket. This improved my score on this hole by 2 strokes (took a 5 instead of a 7). It's still a tough hole with very very tight lines for an INT player.

Camping was beautiful this past weekend and there's no better way to play DG then in a golf cart!
Reply With Quote
  #945  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:04 AM
Qikly's Avatar
Qikly Qikly is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
Lakeside #14 is the hardest hole on the property for me, even beating out lakeside #7.

We went out and played this past weekend (2 rounds at lakeside, 1.5 rounds at creekside since my allergies are worse at creekside due to large fields. Lakeside 7 from shorts has a pretty reasonable route; fairway just short of trees/just through trees if the wind is forgiving, then either throw from there to the water or lay up to the shore and take a short putter across the water.

I took a 3 then a 4 on Lakeside 7 through my two rounds, no lost discs, no shots in the water.

Lakeside 14 on the other hand... First time through you really don't realize what options there are, I took a 7 on the first go around trying to weave down the middle.

By the second round I had realized there's a right for a flick/anny on the left side and a small area to land in where you have a small line to the basket. This improved my score on this hole by 2 strokes (took a 5 instead of a 7). It's still a tough hole with very very tight lines for an INT player.

Camping was beautiful this past weekend and there's no better way to play DG then in a golf cart!
I agree that 7 Lakeside is a happy medium of challenge and doability from the shorts (didn't try the longs, just gave it a look). I missed landing on the island on my second shot by 5 feet or so; awesome, adrenaline-pumping decision to go for it rather than continue up the shoreline. One of the most memorable disc golf shots I've ever had.

My brother and I both came away feeling Lakeside 14 is a daunting but reasonable challenge. I actually loved it, and not in a fully masochistic way - I think it's a great hole. He's a low 800 player and he parred it twice from the shorts easily by taking the rightmost hyzer route: he threw wide of the trees on his first shot, settling a bit after the hill starts sloping upward, and continue with that path to the basket. I tried the innermost hyzer line both times and came away with 5s, but was in position to card a 4 both times even after tree kicks; just missed tough-but-makeable putts. I always found there to be a throwable lane on the way back up the hill even after a tree hit on my second shot: it's just a matter of resituating and finding a new route once you've gotten kicked off your intended one. I actually feel like the RHFH line is even more doable; I just don't have a FH.

I'm not sure what my nomination would be for hardest hole. Maybe 4 Lakeside? 3 Creekside? I'll have to have a think on that.
Reply With Quote
  #946  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:19 AM
grodney's Avatar
grodney grodney is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charlotte, NC
Years Playing: 32.7
Courses Played: 117
Posts: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikly View Post
I'm not sure what my nomination would be for hardest hole. Maybe 4 Lakeside? 3 Creekside? I'll have to have a think on that.
Hmmm, hadn't thought about hardest hole. Ignoring Lake #14, I'd say Creek #3 jumps out as being difficult, unless the wind is way down.

Lake #18 long is impossible for me if the mando is observed. I would average well over 4 on that hole, regardless of my strategy and regardless of wind.
Reply With Quote
  #947  
Old 05-06-2014, 10:31 AM
lavon_andy lavon_andy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,139
Lake #18 and Creek #3 aren't as bad for me. I 3'd them both rounds we played this past weekend (very light wind helped, and we played shorts).

Those holes are more "open" then some of the ones I had real troubles with. Here's my top 2 "hardest" (or hardest for me this past weekend) by course.

Lakeside #14, pretty obvious, it's not an easy hole
Lakeside #15 (for some reason I couldn't reliably hit the correct gap here to give me a shot at a 3)


Creekside #10 (heavily wooded + water hazard, leads me to a 4-5 every time it seems)
Creekside #1 Looking at it it shouldn't be hard, but I kept throwing too high off the tee and getting tangled in the trees

I shot pretty well this weekend on most holes (gorgeous weather and little wind).

Looking back, man do the pictures on here look different from the current course conditions.
Reply With Quote
  #948  
Old 05-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Qikly's Avatar
Qikly Qikly is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: New Orleans
Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,568
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
Lake #18 and Creek #3 aren't as bad for me. I 3'd them both rounds we played this past weekend (very light wind helped, and we played shorts).

Those holes are more "open" then some of the ones I had real troubles with. Here's my top 2 "hardest" (or hardest for me this past weekend) by course.

Lakeside #14, pretty obvious, it's not an easy hole
Lakeside #15 (for some reason I couldn't reliably hit the correct gap here to give me a shot at a 3)
15 definitely has some disaster potential, but I feel like the lanes are wide and forgiving enough that it's not too much of a threat. Gorgeous hole that probably doesn't get talked about enough because of some of the other standouts.


Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
Creekside #10 (heavily wooded + water hazard, leads me to a 4-5 every time it seems)
Creekside #1 Looking at it it shouldn't be hard, but I kept throwing too high off the tee and getting tangled in the trees
Creekside 10 is definitely a tough 3, but then again, that's an eagle, so that should be tough. I found it to be more grueling than hard: if you play your landing zones it's very doable, but trying to get ahead of that 5 pace is tough, especially on your second and third shots. I always found my third shot to be a bit of a layup to set up an easy approach towards the basket. Playing in to shoot over the creek is your best bet for a birdie or eagle, but that's a scary shot over the water with all those branches etc. Great risk/reward hole that forces a lot of decisions and strategic thinking.[/QUOTE]

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavon_andy View Post
Looking back, man do the pictures on here look different from the current course conditions.
Definitely. It's very full and green right now. Those wooded holes on Lakeside get scarier than they look on DGCR.
Reply With Quote
  #949  
Old 05-06-2014, 02:28 PM
lavon_andy lavon_andy is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: McKinney, TX
Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Posts: 1,139
Honestly I never paid attention to what course par actually was, we just counted everything as 3's this weekend and added +/- to get our final score relative to 54 (ie. a +6 at lakeside meant a 60, which is actually 9 down from course par).

Those are just the 4 holes that gave me the most troubles. I love pretty much every hole of golf out there, well maybe not Lakeside #14, but it keeps me honest at least.
Reply With Quote
 

  #950  
Old 05-25-2014, 08:57 AM
nmartin nmartin is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Courses Played: 8
Posts: 6
Anyone going anytime this next week?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.