Disc Golf Center

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy > Rules Questions & Discussion

View Poll Results: have you ever taken Optional Relief?
yes, i have used it 14 31.11%
no, i have never used it 31 68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2011, 06:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 31
I voted no because I am a man.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've used it before when I was on the edge of creek that bends in a c with high trees and go along the sloped edge of the creek. If you are on the edge you have to punch out anyway, then you are left with a bottle neck shot to get to the basket and it you hit a tree run the risk of roll into the creek further up. Easier to step back significantly and throw a spike over the trees and creek and use the bottle neck to backstop the disc. You take a four yes, but if you don't I often see players take double circle 6, 7, and 8s.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:56 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
On more than one occasion I have done it, when in some bushes/hedges, where throwing out backwards was the only real option - and where that very likely could lead to nor getting out anyway.

In those cases optional relief is clearly the smart option.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 41
question:
could you take optional reliefe on a drive?

example:
due to a course being neglected, overgrowth has encompassed the tee and and the surrounding area badly enough that it would make sense to throw from a clear spot farther away from the basket starting at 3 to have the odds at achieving a better overall score for the hole.

purely hypothetical.

obviously the chances of this happening are insanely low. and if it did happen, i personally (and the rest of my casual group) would throw from the clear spot for 1. i don't think this will ever happen in a tournament because no TD would ever allow it. i can see this happening in a league though.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:54 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 182
Throwing Style: RHFH
Used it once when my disc landed on a bees nest that was in the ground. Never did get that disc back.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:52 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
This isn't the same as Optional Relief from the tee but similar in concept. At the IDGC, we allow players who are supposed to be playing from the Blue tee to proceed to the Red tee and start there already sitting 2 (throwing their 3rd shot) on the holes where you must cross water from the Blue tee (5, 12 & 13). The Red tee is already specified as the Drop Zone for the Blue tee in case you go OB off the tee. So this "start from the Red tee + 2" policy just saves players from possibly losing a disc if they don't think they can clear the water, especially on really windy days.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
In casual play I've thrown into places that were so bad that, were I in a tournament, I'd take optional relief. However, since it was casual play and I was P.O.'d at myself for the bad throw, I punished myself by making myself play it out, no matter how many throws it took to get back to the fairway.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 750
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
In casual play I've thrown into places that were so bad that, were I in a tournament, I'd take optional relief. However, since it was casual play and I was P.O.'d at myself for the bad throw, I punished myself by making myself play it out, no matter how many throws it took to get back to the fairway.
I can't imagine where you'd find spots like that at Stoney Hill...
Old 12-22-2011, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.8
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
I can't imagine where you'd find spots like that at Stoney Hill...
Sure sign it was a bad throw when I reach my disc, weary and bleeding, look around and mutter, "Gee. I've never seen this place before." And it's my own yard.

But, honestly, my skills enable me to find unplayable lies on LOTS of courses,.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.1
Courses Played: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brall View Post
skunk, you didn't have to use Optional Relief you could have just done this

B. Casual Obstacles to a Stance: A player may obtain relief only from the following obstacles that are in the stance or run-up area: casual water, loose leaves or debris, broken branches no longer connected to a tree, motor vehicles, harmful insects or animals, players' equipment, people, or any item or area specifically designated by the director before the round. The player must first attempt to remove the obstacle. If it is impractical to move the obstacle, the player's lie may be relocated to the nearest lie which is no closer to the hole, is on the line of play, and is not more than five meters from the original lie, as agreed to by a majority of the group or an official (unless greater casual relief is announced by the director).

I'm not sure if I completely understand. That is exactly what I do. However, I thought all relief was optional.

The course that I find myself playing on most of the time, hole 9 occasionaly floods. Therefore, the water would be casual and I would take a relief as I do not want to stand in water that would come over the ankle of my shoes.