Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Question Fairway Driver(s)?

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 6 months
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH only
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Anode: 175/200'; Buzzz: 210/240'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: none
Other sport proficiencies?:
Additional Information: Read the forums often but first time posting. I bought a whole bunch of discs when I first started and realized after awhile that my form sucked and that I wanted to improve my game instead of just playing rounds. I took out all my drivers and have been only using mids and putters. I've been field practicing using the Dan Beato video tips and I have noticed within the past 2 weeks that I have been able to "punch out" right when I feel the disc wanting to leave my hand and I have been throwing better and farther than I ever have. I haven't had a chance to measure how far so my numbers are from alil before that timing kindda clicked. Anywho My question is should I add a fairway driver or two into my bag at this stage or continue to work with my mids and putters for awhile longer? And if I should add a driver maybe get some disc/plastic/weight recommendations. Thank you everybody for the help!! :-)
What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: like the consistency of using my mids and putters for driving. I know them much better.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Am I ready to work a fairway driver into my bag?
Immediate and long-term goals: Improve my form and throw. Avoid creating bad habits. Have fun playing disc golf. / Get more distance to help with longer holes. Play the long tees.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
150 Champion Leopard (slightly used) - Out of my bag. Have not used it since I started working on my form.

Mids:
178 Z Comet (used but good) - Just for field practice
177 GL Fuse (flies like new) - anhyzer shots, downhill drives, floaty approaches
167 Z Buzzz (used but good) - Main Mid
176 Ti Buzzz (like new) - Main Driver. My longest disc
160 Z Hornet (new) - long / big hyzers. Drives that need fade. Get out of trouble disc

Putters:
171 Eclipse Anode (used) - Putting
174 Neutron Anode (like new) - Driving and approach putter.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 35
If you have a disc that is just for the range then you don't need to list it as in your bag. The Comet and Fuse overlap anyway. Everything else looks fine. You may want to try a 170g Leopard. Stars fly the straightest (almost Teebird like).
Old 11-13-2012, 09:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 12
I really like your setup with the exception of the small bit of overlap that keltik mentioned. Nice to see someone take a practical and sound approach to their development.

I'd recommend adding a DX Teebird as a compliment to your Leopard. If you want something a little longer consider a lighter weight Opto Saint or P-PD. Both of these discs will border distance drivers, but power down well to make them legit fairways. I also like the recommendation of a heavier weight Star Leopard just to keep everything copacetic with what you're throwing now if you don't want to go with faster discs.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Throwing Style: LHBH
You're pretty much at the place I am. I'd recommend taking any speed 6-7 drivers you might have picked up during your plastic lust (most of us get it) and see if any of them go further than your Ti Buzzz. If not, shelf the drivers again and keep working with the mids and putters. If so, pick the longest, straightest driver and put it in your bag.

Given the weights you've been throwing at with mids and putters, I don't know if that 150g Leopard will do you much good. Throwing such a lightweight disc while trying to work on form just played havok with me, so I gave up on the idea. If you don't have a speed 6-7 driver in you collection, it's probably worthwhile to pick up something like a DX Leopard/Cheetah/Gazelle in the high 160's to see if one of those works for you.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Another vote for upgrading your Leo. I'm a Glo-Champ Leo guy myself, spent 2 yrs beating mine in and love it. I carry and Glo-Champ and Pro Leo combo. As mentioned, the Teebird is commonly paired up with the Leo. If you not a T-bird fan then spend some time searching the forum and you can find other recommendations that might fit. I'm testing the Eagle X, Leo combo now. Good luck
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 25
I'll second the DX teebird, and the Cyclone X is another good choice in the fairway driver mold...They are similar, but compliment each other pretty well....
Old 11-14-2012, 06:28 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Thanks everyone!

I really appreciate the help. I ordered a 167 DX Teebird and 170 DX Leopard and am excited to give 'em a try. I got the leopard in DX to save a couple of bucks right now, hopefully it'll still be fine.

Also, I was super excited to see a Saint recommended because honestly, I have been wanting to try this disc and the Volt for awhile now but I think I will take it one step at a time.

Thanks again.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 34
XS and XL is a workable combo.

I personally carry an XS, Star Leopard, and a DX Gazelle.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:52 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthbndr View Post
XS and XL is a workable combo.

I personally carry an XS, Star Leopard, and a DX Gazelle.
I actually picked up a 168ish Z XS today (misprint), and I think at the OPs power level (which closely mirrors mine), it'd fly pretty overstable. Mine sure did. I was averaging maybe 240' with it, fairly hefty fade. Maybe a X would work better. /shrug

Old 11-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Birdie Member

Looking at the stats for the XS, this should come as no surprise. It has more fade than the Leopard and Teebird he ordered. Without the speed to create the high speed turn, it just goes straight and fades harder than either of those. I'm a sucker for a cheap misprint in premium plastic! Maybe it'll make a good thumber...