Par Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Poke at my Bag!!

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 2
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: RH/BH
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH but with little distance and control, OH cut roller

Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: 225/250/340ish on a good day

Optional:
Sex: Stud
Injuries/handicaps?: Recent hamstring injury, runner's knees
Other sport proficiencies?: distance runner in HS and in my early 20's, I only run when being chased now.

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Feel like I have a hole in my distance drivers. Not sure if I need something more stable between my Beasts and Firebird for a mild Headwind (10-15mph). Also, does having a new Champ Leo fill my slightly O/S Fairway shots? If I need something really O/S I usually pull out the FB or Hornet depending on distance.

Specific areas of desired feedback: drivers

Immediate and long-term goals: improve my approach game, putt on the course like I do in my basement and hit 350' consistently.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):

167g/Star/Firebird/7.5/OH cut rollers, Super windy days & get out of trouble.

171g/Champ/Beast/9.5/Max distance, straight with end fade shots.

175g/Pro/Beast/6.5/Max distance, dead nuts straight & line shaping distance shots. I love Pro plastic and love this disc! Once this thing gets really beat it will be my distacne anny disc and it will be replaced with a new Pro-Beast

175g/Champ/Leo/9.9/Straight with end of flight fade disc, S-shot. Anything over 300 and I'm pulling out the Beasts!

167g/Glo-Champ/Leo/7/This is my beat to buttery goodness disc. If it ever left me my game would probably be in the toilet. This is my dead nuts straight FW driver, slight Anny with end of flight fade or low ceiling shots.

171g/Pro/Leo/7/This one is starting to get fairly beat. Used for hyzer flips, anny shots, low power-low ceiling dead straight shots

Mids:

172g/Esp/Hornet/9/ Overstable mid duties, spike hyzers & windy approach

174g/Glo-Z/Buzz/7.5/ Beat in to stable goodness with very little fade. Can hold most lines. Goto mid.

175g/Esp/Meteor/9/ Lower power approach, finesse approach, turnover mid & hyzer flip mid with tons of glide.

168g/Dx/Stingray/4.5/ Specialty approach, crazy under-stable shots, used for some up hill putts.

Putters:

175g/CE/Ryhno/9.8/ Approach putter, over stable duties. Putting this disc in my bag has actually shaved strokes off my game!

175g/Dx/Aviar/8.5/ Straight approach putter

175/R-pro/Avair/9/ Main Putter

Like I mentioned above, my only worries are that I missing something in my distance and fairway drivers. On days where I have to fight 10-15mph I would like something dependable that I could toss. In between my Beast and FB, I was thinking about a Pro Orc to fill that hole. I'm wanting to stay at 10 speed or under drivers. Also, do I have a hole in my FW drivers since I use nothing but Leos? Right now I just power down on my FB or power up on the my Hornet.
Thoughts?

Last edited by ccrain; 11-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHFH
Try out a Banshee in the overstable fairway slot.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:34 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo69 View Post
Try out a Banshee in the overstable fairway slot.
Never gave the Banshee much thought. I have a Whippet in the basement but of course its DX, haven't thrown it since I hit 300'. I also have an Opto Striker, I know its a tick faster but do you think it would fill the same roll as the Banshee or is it not O/S enough?
Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
You're right, you have a hole in your fairways for something with a moderate amount of fade. That hole exists iin these situations: you need to have your Leos finish left but not as far left as your Hornet or Firebird will (b/c of their gobs of fade) or you need to throw a fairway in wind and neither the FB nor Hornet will work.

Given your descriptions of your Leos, it seems like you're doing with them exactly what they're designed to do - have plenty of turn and a slight fade. Thus, I think you could benefit from having something like a Gazelle, Cyclone, Teebird, or Eagle. The Cyclone will be like your Leos, but with plenty of fade. The Gazelle will develop turn as it wears, faster in DX, but retain its fade. Teebird, especially if you get it in champ/star, will retain its fade for a long time. And an Eagle will develop turn but also retain its fade for a long time. Of those, the Eagle will pierce wind the best, Teebird second, and Gazelle and Cyclone tied for third. All but the Teebird will permit you to shape lines b/c it's really a one-trick pony - straight and long - but it does that so well that most folks carry one. If you want to do this in a distance driver, an Orc is a good option, and it pairs very well with your Beasts (as it is functionally and old-mold Beast).

As an alternative, you could try throwing your Leos, especially that fresh Champ, with lots of hyzer (like on a sweep hyzer line) so that it doesn't flip even to flat, and that will help you get it to finish left if that's the line you're missing (it seems so). The same tactic also works when throwing into wind. This doesn't solve your issues with penetrating the wind with the Leos, but it does give you more control in wind with them.

Your Hornet is functionally a very fast mid, or a slower fairway driver, and very overstable. I wouldn't get a Whippet, Banshee, etc. Those should overlap too much. And it also had too much fade (and zero turn) to fill the hole you have. Alternatively, you could drop the Hornet for one of the OS fairway drivers mentioned. I'm not a huge fan of very OS mids, so take it with a grain of salt.

Finally, Rhynos are awesome, glad you found them and they've taken strokes off your game.
Old 11-11-2012, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 46
I would recommend an Eagle for that fairway spot. Champ Eagle X to be exact. Has a tad of turn but a strong dependable fade. Very reliable in the wind as well as calm weather.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:51 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Runner Guy View Post
Thus, I think you could benefit from having something like a Gazelle, Cyclone, Teebird, or Eagle. The Cyclone will be like your Leos, but with plenty of fade. The Gazelle will develop turn as it wears, faster in DX, but retain its fade. Teebird, especially if you get it in champ/star, will retain its fade for a long time. And an Eagle will develop turn but also retain its fade for a long time. Of those, the Eagle will pierce wind the best, Teebird second, and Gazelle and Cyclone tied for third. All but the Teebird will permit you to shape lines b/c it's really a one-trick pony - straight and long - but it does that so well that most folks carry one. If you want to do this in a distance driver, an Orc is a good option, and it pairs very well with your Beasts (as it is functionally and old-mold Beast).

As an alternative, you could try throwing your Leos, especially that fresh Champ, with lots of hyzer (like on a sweep hyzer line) so that it doesn't flip even to flat, and that will help you get it to finish left if that's the line you're missing (it seems so). The same tactic also works when throwing into wind. This doesn't solve your issues with penetrating the wind with the Leos, but it does give you more control in wind with them.
Funny you should mention the Cyclone. An Esp Cyclone was a staple in my bag for over a year and seemed to pair up nicely with my seasoned Glo Leo and Pro Leo. About a month ago I got into the the "wanting to reduce molds" mindset and yanked it out. I felt bad doing this as the Clone is one of my top 3 favorite FW drivers. There are some shots that I could do with the Clone that I haven't been able to duplicate yet with the new 175g Champ Leo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bholy08
I would recommend an Eagle for that fairway spot. Champ Eagle X to be exact. Has a tad of turn but a strong dependable fade. Very reliable in the wind as well as calm weather.
I have thrown an Eagle before but just a couple of times. I bought a used 9-time KC Eagle 174 rainbow dye (about a 8/10) for $15 about 1.5 years ago, threw it in a field some and then put it on the shelf for fear of losing it. I might need to order one online or try and pick up one from the MP. After some testing, it I'll be curious to see how it competes with the Clone. As far as the Gazelle and T-bird go, I have a new 168g Champ Dayglo T-bird I can throw in the bag. I like t-birds but found myself liking DX birds much better than other current plastics. Problem is my home course is riddled with trees and DX just doesn't survive very long in my bag. On Gazelles, its probably my least favorite of the four you mentioned. Plus lack of availability in premium plastic turns me away from them even more. A that said, I see a new Eagle in my future going up against the clones.

Last edited by ccrain; 11-11-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccrain View Post
As far as the Gazelle and T-bird go, I have a new 168g Champ Dayglo T-bird I can throw in the bag. I like t-birds but found myself liking DX birds much better than other current plastics. Problem is my home course is riddled with trees and DX just doesn't survive very long in my bag. On Gazelles, its probably my least favorite of the four you mentioned. Plus lack of availability in premium plastic turns me away from them even more.
Gazelles are available in Star at the Factory store.

Good for you re: DX Teebirds. As far as in-production plastics, DX is the best for heavy (170g+) Teebirds. You should be able to really thrash one before it becomes unusable (i.e. loses its HSS) If they're not working for you, it could likely be a form issue.

Last edited by Crazy Runner Guy; 11-11-2012 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 19
If you haven't tried a Discmania S-PD I would recommend doing so. It was recommended to me for similar reasons and would be a perfect fit between your Beast and Firebird. Really does well in the wind. Just stay away from the test configuration topped ones as they will be fairly overstable and similar to your Firebird.

Some nice ones here:http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=75448

Last edited by discddwn; 11-11-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:41 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 53
Looks like you could use a new putter. Might I make a suggestion:

Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightbiker View Post
Looks like you could use a new putter. Might I make a suggestion:
I actually have a magnet, didn't like it and gave to my 4yr old to destroy.