Disc Golf Center
Old 01-04-2012, 08:55 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Personally I think they should require collared shirts at A-tiers and higher events. Why not add some class to our bigger events?
It's in the rules for Majors and NT's. I support this including all A-tiers too.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:30 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Personally I think they should require collared shirts at A-tiers and higher events. Why not add some class to our bigger events?
because it is frisbee golf and counter to the nature of the sport... as long as it's not ripped up, filthy, or profane players should be able to wear anything they want.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
because it is frisbee golf and counter to the nature of the sport... as long as it's not ripped up, filthy, or profane players should be able to wear anything they want.
Instead of embracing our history the pDGA seems to be trying to sweep it under the rug. Wonder what else is under that thing.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: RHBH
It depends on your view of where/whether/how the sport needs to/should progress. If the consensus is that the status quo is acceptable, then wearing whatever they want should be the norm. If appeal to the "mainstream" is the direction, then collard shirts are a must.
Old 01-04-2012, 01:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 78
mmm... collards...

the "game" already appeals to the mainstream... the "sport" does not because it makes for lousy tv- no amount of dressing up is going to change that.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violets caddy View Post
I did see one of the tourneys on YouTube, dont remember which one, were one of the open guys was wearing a football jersey. I could do that
Matt Orum

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe
the "game" already appeals to the mainstream... the "sport" does not because it makes for lousy tv- no amount of dressing up is going to change that.
Agreed.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 112
I'm wearing a collared shirt just for this forum...

I'm respectable
Old 01-04-2012, 03:20 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscoe View Post
Can't be any less appealing than ball golf, tennis, ... or bowling to watch

just depends on cameras editing and coverage. currently the market is smallish I'm sure but growing and "The O-cho" could fit it in there schedule you'd think. I can see it getting bigger than some of the other obscure "sports" I've seen on TV with some decent camera work.
Old 01-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_kool315 View Post

just depends on cameras editing and coverage. currently the market is smallish I'm sure but growing and "The O-cho" could fit it in there schedule you'd think. I can see it getting bigger than some of the other obscure "sports" I've seen on TV with some decent camera work.
This. I think ball golf camera angles could work well here. I'm totally for dress codes. I would love to be able to watch disc golf on Tv.

Old 01-04-2012, 04:02 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
If you don't like any of those things, you're going to find them boring. That's true of most anything. But in all honestly, most disc golfers didn't take up the game to become spectators. Many of them wouldn't know what the PDGA is if it weren't stamped on their discs.

I might also mention that those sports have a lot longer history than disc golf, not to mention millions of people who play them recreationally, and are willing to spend big bucks on pro-sponsored equipment and access to facilities. By comparison, the relatively light expense of disc golf equipment and the fact that 85% of our courses impose no fees to use kind of works against us.

Quote:
just depends on cameras editing and coverage.
It also depends on the venue. Indoor or enclosed venues like stadiums, arenas, tennis facilities, even bowling alleys are relatively easy to film with a few cameras since all of the action takes place in a small amount of space. A ball golf course requires miles of cable to be laid down but there is generally plenty of slack room to make this possible without interfering with play. Most disc golf courses by comparison do not have this luxury. The overwhelming majority of our courses aren't suited for galleries, much less cameras that aren't intrusive to play. Also a lot of our most challenging holes involve snaking a disc through dense woods, which can be a pain to film.

Quote:
currently the market is smallish I'm sure but growing and "The O-cho" could fit it in there schedule you'd think.
Sure, if "The O-cho" wasn't a fictional idea from a movie that was meant as a joke.

Quote:
I can see it getting bigger than some of the other obscure "sports" I've seen on TV with some decent camera work.
I can't. A lot of those other obscure "sports" have locational and watchability advantages over ours, as do a number of other things that aren't on television yet. In fact, I doubt were the most television friendly sport that involves flying discs. Ultimate would beat disc golf for viewers IMO in a heartbeat.

But whether we make the televised so called big time, who cares? I would take a pretty good guess that the television of the future is going to be your computer, or smartphone, not ESPN, or some other cable or network outlet.