Disc Golf Store
Old 01-04-2014, 10:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHFH
KDinIN's 2014 Bag Thread

I had another bag thread, but it was more of a thought process, and it doesn't seem to be the most ideal purpose for general thoughts here. I have expanded my repository of discs this year from 5 to 26. There are still a few things I would like to try out, but I feel like I have some choices, and I figured no better place to make some of those decisions then on here. So here are my options,

Putters
175 - Soft Proton Anode
175 - Innova DX Birdie
175 - DX Aviar P&A
175 - Soft Wizard

Mids
173 - DX Rancho Roc
176 - Star Mako 178
180 - KC Pro Rancho Roc? Possibly a DX Cobra
174ish - Z Buzzz
168ish - Z Buzzz SS
175ish - Z Glide
177ish - Z Glo Comet
175ish - Z Comet
158ish - Z Drone

Fairways
165 - DX Whippet
175 - DX Leopard
171ish - Z Zombie
165 - DX Teebird
175 - Z Stalker
171 - Recycled Gold Saint
175 - Helix #1

Drivers
175ish - Star Wraith
150 - Blizzard Katana
173ish - Z Glo Flick
171 - Z Nuke OS
175ish - Z Nuke SS
165 - Z Nuke

As you might have guessed just by looking, I picked up a Discraft misprint box, that I felt like I walked away with some great discs from. In terms of my bag this is how things fall right now.

Putters
175 - Soft Proton Anode - My main putter. If I am running at the chains, this is what I am using.
175 - DX Aviar P&A - My main approach/upshot disc, if I am trying to maneuver around terrain or laying up for an easy putt, I am probably using this. Thinking about moving the Soft Wizard to this spot. To be honest though, I would love to try a Neutron Ion in this spot, but don't have one yet.

Mids:
Z Buzzz - I love the feel of the Elite Z plastic, and this was my first, also the reason I bought a discraft pack. My main mid.
Z Drone/DX Whippet - Currently an open competition for this as a utility type slot. I haven't gotten to throw the Drone, but would love for it to knock out my Whippet, and will give it quite the try out to see if it can.
Z Comet and/or Z Glide - Glide is supposed to be the under stable disc here, and the Comet the form correcter, but I know it can be under stable as well, and if I can figure out how to use US discs well I might only need to bag one, uncertain here.

Fairways:
No OS/US slots here, just my main go to driver for my backhand off the tee. That spot however is in competition between these three.
165 - DX Teebird
175 - Z Stalker
171 - Recycled Gold Saint
Not sure who will win, might bag more than one, but there seems to be overlap between these three.

Drivers:
Mostly my Forehand/Tomahawk discs
150 - Blizzard Katana
173ish - Z Glo Flick
165 - Z Nuke

Again, another open competition here. Waiting till I can get some good field work in to see how all these throw and what they are going to fly like, but I am excited to get to work. I will try and keep this updated as I walk through some of these try-outs of these discs and see how this bag evolves. Any input is appreciated, any advice on how to use some of the more under utilized discs in my possession that aren't in my bag would also be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-05-2014, 01:53 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
How far do you throw putters, mids, fairways, distance drivers? It's really hard to give meaningful advice without that!
Old 01-06-2014, 11:23 AM
Birdie Member

Your putters and mids look good. Obviously you have a couple of choices to make, but just pick the one that feels better to you from the drone/whippet and the comet/glide. The comet is the least forgiving disc on the planet, and you should definitely hold on to it to throw it in the field.

Your fairways have a lot of overlap. The saint and dx teebird are probably covering the exact same shots. The only z stalker I threw was a little shorter than a teebird and surprisingly beefy. You could definitely use a overstable fairway like a Trident, XXX or Firebird. Just something to be a little more workable than I'm guessing your glo flick is.

If you like flicking the z nuke stick with it. It's a little on the fast side, depending on your distance, but I like flicking slightly faster stuff personally. Not to be a hater, but I can't imagine a blizzard katana being any kind of reliable.
Old 01-06-2014, 02:04 PM
Par Member

I forgot to put distances on here, thats my bad. Part of the reason though, is because I don't know my distances all that well.

I got back into Disc Golf this fall, and had been primarily a forehand player. I got both a 175g Star Beast and my Blizzard Katana out past 380, the katana topping over 400 on a nice s-curve.

However, I am trying to learn a backhand, and I am using mids and fairways to learn how to throw backhand and things are progressing nicely. I have had a few drives with my DX teebird that have been somewhere between 300-350, but most sit around 250-300 if I had to guess. In terms of fairways and putters, again, I don't know very well. I throw my Z Buzzz probably 200-250. I played with basically 3 discs till November, when I got bit by the plastic buy, and didn't really have much time to get out in the field and do some work with my newer discs.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:03 PM
Eagle Member

How do U like your DX Leopard? The courses I play an Understand Leopard can fill a whole lot of shots. I have a 150 DX as one of my Leopards, works great for shots that curve gently right and don't stop
Old 01-06-2014, 10:44 PM
Eagle Member

that should have been understable not understand. Weird autocorrect
Old 01-07-2014, 12:25 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
How do U like your DX Leopard? The courses I play an understable Leopard can fill a whole lot of shots. I have a 150 DX as one of my Leopards, works great for shots that curve gently right and don't stop
To be honest, I haven't really used it much. I played for a long time with just a few discs, so normally, when I got to a throw that needed an Understable disc, since I didn't have one to begin with, I either just switched between backhand and forehand, (though my backhand was terrible so I could only meathook things lol) or would alter my angle of release (between flat, anny, and hyzer, though I didn't know what they were called lol). So now, I have a few understable mids - Leopard, Comet, Glide. Hopefully, this spring, I can figure out how to use those and how to use them reliably.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:56 AM
Par Member

Quick update:

Thanks to Winter storm whocares 2014, I haven't had a chance to throw, let alone play a round of DG since mid December. I was hoping to get out today, but alas, work has to be done. Anyway, I should be hitting the course soon enough, so hopefully this bag starts to get figured out a bit.

Here is what I am currently looking at in terms of decided slots:

So everything I typed after this was basically what I typed a month ago when I first did this. Dang it, I need to get out and play instead of bagcrafting with discs I haven't thrown with yet.

Last edited by KDinIN; 01-30-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:36 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinIN View Post
Dang it, I need to get out and play instead of bagcrafting with discs I haven't thrown with yet.
But what else would we do during the winter?!

Old 01-30-2014, 01:53 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDinIN View Post
Quick update:

Thanks to Winter storm whocares 2014, I haven't had a chance to throw, let alone play a round of DG since mid December. I was hoping to get out today, but alas, work has to be done. Anyway, I should be hitting the course soon enough, so hopefully this bag starts to get figured out a bit.

Here is what I am currently looking at in terms of decided slots:

So everything I typed after this was basically what I typed a month ago when I first did this. Dang it, I need to get out and play instead of bagcrafting with discs I haven't thrown with yet.
Hahaha, this made me laugh so hard. I've done exactly this about 10 times over the winter.

The thing I landed on is throw the discs I already know and love, but it's so tempting to keep buying and tinkering!