Old 07-19-2013, 12:44 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to New013
i dont have a good FH game at all and i rarely go to a FH but with most discs where I'm flicking something on a hyzer i can get out to 300' max but i'm much more consistent in the 200' and in range. with flexing out my firebird my range was probably around 250' at the most but generally i wouldnt try that shot far past 200' because it takes so much room. now with the cpd2 i need a bit less room and it glides out more so i can probably flex it out to 300' if i really drill one; although again i doubt i'll be using that line out that far.

i'll be in the field doing some more testing today and i'll get you some more feedback.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2013, 04:27 AM
* Ace Member *

Since I lost my Anode I've been wanting to experiment with other putters I can use on approach. I use my Fuse and Pigs quite a bit but some situations I wish I had a beat up or less stable putter. For now I'm going to put my old SSS Voodoo back in the bag and see how that works out but I want to get another Zero Soft Pure. I had one and I toyed around with it and liked it a lot, it's so soft it just sits where it lands which is very useful.

I've been screwing around with my CPD2 and I'm still getting used to how crazy overstable it is. I can only flex it out to around 430' because it just comes back and drops out of the sky so fast. I'll need more time to get the angles more adjusted and figure it out. Learning how to flex it out FH hasn't been easy either, I can do some nice short range stuff with it but I've been trying to really push it out there and haven't been getting consistent results, need to work on my form. It has proven super useful on throwing high stall shots because you can start it out on a bit of an anny and gain more height and distance before the stall.

I've got a Giant and a Climo Tern on the way to play around with as well.
Old 08-04-2013, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Reds are out, Blues are in

Drivers -
CPD2 - big hyzers, wind fighter, flex and stall shots, FH flex shots
Q Quasar - stable big drives, FH, flex shots
C Tern - Max D, huge annys
SPD - main distance driver, hyzers, flex shots, FH
SPD - (beat in) less fade than the newer one, straight drives, big annys
CAL TL - straight with predictable fade, annys
CFR CTL - workable fairway driver, turnovers, low straight shots
C Mamba - hyzer flip machine, turnovers, BH rollers

Mids-
CMD2 - (new) hyzers, long mid drives, windfighter, predictable fade
CMD2 - (broken in) predictable driving mid, hyzers
GL Fuse - workable mid, hyzer flips/turnovers
FR S Mako - line holding mid, annys, FH annys, straight shots

Putters-
P Pig - (newish) beefy, short flex shots, hyzers, wind fighter
P Pig - (really beat) really started appreciating this disc more lately, it's very workable and due to its lack of glide i can put it down very accurately. was throwing some great turnover and hyzerflip shots with it the other day.
SP Anode - (newish) short drives, approach
SS Voodoo - putter

Utility-
Ch Firebird - thumbers, rollers, tommys, FH, flex shots

Retired my old beat in CMD2 because it just got to close to my mako and wasn't very useful in the wind anymore.

Added in the CPD2 because I'm really liking it the dimensions it can add to my distance driver game. Played a bomber windy course with it and it was very handy. Probably won't even bag it that much because I don't play many courses where I'll need it but I'm glad I have something there that I can trust when I do.

Added in a CAL TL because my old CFR is really starting to lose it's stability, need to start cycling in another. Will probably add in a new PD soon as well because the newer one I had has lost some of that new beefiness and is getting close to the sweet spot.

Lost the Firebird I had for a while but just got a new club stamped champ glow I'm really digging so far, it's beefy.

I got a SS Voodoo because I got tired of the warping in my SSS but now the SS is starting to warp. Might get a soft voodoo and see how that treats me.

Still have the Giant coming in for testing, also want to test out a real M3 and M4, the Legacy distance drivers and some understable putters for approach shots and short turnovers.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Drivers -
VIP Giant - big hyzers, wind fighter, flex and stall shots, FH flex shots
Q Quasar - stable big drives, FH, flex shots
P Cannon - Big D driver, hyzerflips, big annys
C Tern - Max D, huge annys
CFR CTL - workable fairway driver, turnovers, low straight shots
C Mamba - hyzer flip machine, turnovers, BH rollers

Mids-
FR S Mako - same as other except more broken in

Putters-
P Pig - (really beat) really started appreciating this disc more lately, it's very workable and due to its lack of glide i can put it down very accurately. was throwing some great turnover and hyzerflip shots with it the other day.
SP Anode - (newish) short drives, approach
Eraser Voodoo - putting putter

Utility-
Ch Glow Firebird - thumbers, rollers, tommys, FH, flex shots

Lost my CPD2 so for now I'm going with the VIP Giant which gives me more distance potential but a bit less accuracy. We'll see how it goes and I might go find another CPD2.

Switching out my Champ Tern for a Pinnacle Cannon. I love the Tern but it just isn't quite reliable enough for the kinds of shots I want to use it for. If I threw it more at shorter distances it would stay in. With the Cannon I'm more confident for it to come back out of the turn at long distances.

I'm going with two Makos in the bag now. I've added back in an older one I used to have in my bag to compliment the one I've been carrying. One goes out straight and has a bit of a fade while the others turns a bit towards the end, it's a nice combo.

Anode is officially gone from the bag, I still love the disc and I still use it when I play pitch and putts or one disc rounds but it's just clutter in my normal bag. The addition of the Fuse to my bag spelled the end for its run as I use that for most of the approaches and drives I used the Anode for in the past.

I've also switched to an Eraser Voodoo because the longer I go the more I like a stiffer putter. The Eraser seems to be exactly what I want. I've also switched to a push putt and I've been using it for about a month now very successfully.
Old 10-03-2013, 07:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
I'd be curious how different you find the Giant from the PD2. It seems like so few people throw discs in that category (rampage, giant, pd2 etc) that I can't get good reviews on them.

I recently just dropped the Tern as well. I really liked it but I have an escape and a Cannon so I really couldn't justify keeping the Tern.

Is the Mamba drastically more understable than the Tern?
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 PM
* Ace Member *

The CPD2 has less glide and go than the Giant so for me it was easier to hit the distance I was going for when I was throwing a big hyzer or fade shot. The Giant gives you a lot more D potential especially when you're throwing a big flex. I had them both in the bag for a bit I just ended up going with the CPD2 because I was more comfortable with it.

They're both excellent in the wind and can give you a big skip shot when you want it to. I like the Giant a bit more for the FH flex shots as well due to it having more glide, it means I have to put less in to it.

The mamba is way less stable than the Tern, you really have to throw it differently than most discs. You can just give it a little pop and it'll go a long way. I don't use it much but it comes in handy some situations.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

That's helpful, thanks.

I've been throwing the Diamond so I feel like I'd be able to adjust to the Mamba. I use the Giant for big FH flex shots as well. And I've had a ton of luck throwing them, but I absolutely agree with what you are saying about gauging them. I've overthrown a hole by 50-75 feet on accident multiple times when throwing the Giant.

I was talking to someone the other day who described a VIP Giant as "flippy in headwinds". I have had a complete opposite experience, I trust them in the wind every time.

Did you find the CPD2 more OS or just to have less glide?
Old 10-03-2013, 08:36 PM
* Ace Member *

I'd say they're pretty close. When I first got the Giant it was more beefy than my CPD2 which had been broken in just a bit. I think the Giant probably has more HSS when they're both brand new but it's not a lot.

I can't imagine anyone calling the Giant flippy in headwinds, they're probably trying to throw it on an anny or something because they can't handle it's beefiness. Or maybe they were mistaken and had TP Giant which I've been told are less beefy; and I know from experience the TP plastic breaks in a lot faster.
Old 10-03-2013, 08:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

I have about 10 giants, and none of them are flippy. I have a 173 TP that I have been for about 7 months now as a primary driver for shots over 375 and it is just now getting to the point where it will even budge during the HSS portion.

If you end up liking Giants having the TP option is really helpful because it acts like a seasoned VIP.

I think he just got frustrated because he tried to throw a distance line in a crazy headwind and it didn't stay in the air long enough.

Thanks for your input!

Old 02-28-2014, 07:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Drivers -
VIP Giant - big hyzers, wind fighter, flex and stall shots, FH flex shots
Q Quasar - Stable distance driver, my goto big D disc in the bag
P Cannon - Distance driver with some turn, use it in more power down situations or long shots that i don't want to come back a lot.
CFR CTL - tight fairway driver, straight, longer turnovers
CFR CTL - really beat in, touch drives, hyzer flips, turnovers

Mids-
FR S Mako - same as other except more broken in

Putters-
Eraser Voodoo - Putter
SS Voodoo - put this in for certain situations, short drives, short approaches over water where i don't want to risk other discs.

Utility-
Ch Glow Firebird - thumbers, FH, flex shots
Ch Firebird - a little more beat in than my other, less stable. some BH, mostly thumbers and FH.

So since I did this last I got a Grip and some more switcharoos have happened, mainly on stuff I go back and forth on no major changes really. I lost my Giant I loved and then I got another and I didn't like it as much and then I lost it too so until I find another one I like it's out and the CPD2 is back in filling my OS distance driver slot.

I finally said enough with the mamba which I still carry on some courses where I might need to roll a disc or if there's a hole I like to use it on. Overall I just didn't throw it enough so when I did I wasn't really sure how much hyzer and power to give it. I've put my oldest CTL back in as my understable fairway and I'm getting used to it again but I'm happy with it.

I'm actually playing with the idea of maybe dropping my second Mako that's less stable and putting a new Fuse in to start cycling. We'll see. Might bring my old CMD2 back in to play as well because I was throwing it during glow rounds and was really happy with the lines I was hitting; although it does overlap with my more stable mako quite a bit.

I lost my really beat in Pig so that's out, I've instead thrown a beat in SS Voodoo in the bag for certain situations. Putting with an Eraser Voodoo and loving it, putting is really coming along lately.