Old 11-06-2016, 07:28 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6
Default What to step up to?

I'm getting my Leopards, slightly beat Volt, and Underworld to 325-375 consistently. I think I am ready to try something a little faster to go even further. I throw mainly backhand. I bag mostly Innova and Discraft, but willing to branch out some. Let's here some suggestions! Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2016, 07:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH

Nice! If you want something similar to your Volt but a little more stable, then a Thunderbird or PD might be good. At your distances, I think you can probably step up to a full distance driver. I'd recommend a GStar Destroyer or a Wraith.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:44 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugheshilton View Post
Nice! If you want something similar to your Volt but a little more stable, then a Thunderbird or PD might be good. At your distances, I think you can probably step up to a full distance driver. I'd recommend a GStar Destroyer or a Wraith.
I've been looking at getting a Pro Thunderbird to break in nicely. Also I have a bottom stamped Star Wraith and that thing is super overstable. I can get some distance out it if I put some anny on it. Might try my luck with a 168g Star Wraith.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:48 PM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 1

You're ready for a Neutron Octane.
Old 11-06-2016, 07:49 PM
* Ace Member *

If you want only a slight bump up but bigger distance potential then I would think about a Sidewinder. I agree on Gstar Destroyer, or also a DD Trespass as a good starting point in stable fast drivers. If you are hitting ~350' fairways you will definitely get good use out of faster discs and it will teach you some more things about nose angle and throw height.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 47

You've probably already tried the Surge, but if not it's worth a try. ESP are nice, especially with some dome. Slightly more overstable are the CryZtal sparkles. Marshall Street had some for 9.99 right now.

I'm guessing your Wraith is a weirdo. You could probably find another star that would be less overstable with lots of distance potential. In my experience the Surge doesn't feel quite as wide-rimmed as the Wraith, so I like the feel a bit better.
Old 11-06-2016, 08:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
If you want only a slight bump up but bigger distance potential then I would think about a Sidewinder. I agree on Gstar Destroyer, or also a DD Trespass as a good starting point in stable fast drivers. If you are hitting ~350' fairways you will definitely get good use out of faster discs and it will teach you some more things about nose angle and throw height.
Step up to a Sidewinder or Destroyer?
Old 11-06-2016, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 8

I'd recommend a Champion Sidewinder or Star Valkyrie, probably in the mid-160s from what I'm reading in your (OP's) posts.

IMHO you can also step up to a Star Tern in the 160s-170s, or a Champion Tern in the lower 160s. If the Tern is flippy/understable for you, then you're probably ready to try a Destroyer.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:08 PM
Bogey Member

Ripping a volt up to 375? Your power is right in par with mine. Grab a 170 octane and give it some pavement/carpet/grass/tree/person/anything burn and it will beat into a disc that crushes. Longest measured throw I've gotten was 435, with that disc. Flat with no wind, wheeled off. If you want a little more stability grab a nitro as well, they only go ~395 with our power, but they are overstable at that range.

Old 11-06-2016, 10:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-it View Post
Step up to a Sidewinder or Destroyer?
Both I'd say. If he's liking the Leo and Underworld, then the Sidewinder is more of the same but in a slightly faster and very long disc. But also adding a stable (straight-ish) higher speed disc to work with like a Gstar/Pro (easier to throw) Destroyer, or Trespass would be good for giving more options on the course and learning how to throw those types of discs. Obviously they are very very different styles.