Old 07-11-2016, 03:12 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Question Spit out prone putter plastics

I've been struggling with spit outs basically for as long as I've played. By struggling I mean that I get probably 10 times more spit outs than the guys I play with and they have acknowledged it as well so it's not just all in my head.

I've been thinking about the reasons quite a lot and have few theories. I put with a "spush" put, with medium pace and disc flying rather flat. I've only putted with Trilogy putters (Pure, Macana, Shield) mostly in Medium or tacky Hard plastic. At the same time I've come to the conclusion that the put that gets the least amount of spit outs is a nose down push put with a slick plastic like KC Pro, so quite different from how I put.

Is there any general consensus on which plastics and putting styles are the least prone for spit outs?

PS. In this context the spit out is a really good put that goes into the middle of the chains, not a very high or slightly weak side put.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 03:22 AM
Eagle Member

I wanted to add few words on the theories I mentioned in the first post. I've classified few different spit out mechanisms and some common factors for each:
1. Bounce back from the pole - Common with a faster put with flat or slightly nose up angle.
2. Throw back from the chains - Common with the combination of soft putter, slow put and flat/nose up angle.
3. Slip through the chains - Common for fast hyzer puts with slick plastic putters.
4. Slip out from the strong side - Common on anny put with slick putters and very little spin.
5. Spit out from weak side - Common for tackier putters and a lot of spin.

There could be more and not all of these theories are necessarily true. Just my interpretation of the way things work.

PS. I struggle most with the 1. and 2. with occasional 5. but the 5. are usually more user errors than clear spit outs.
Old 07-11-2016, 03:24 AM
Eagle Member

What comes to the plastic preferences, Dave Dunipace mentioned briefly in his latest AMA that pros like KC Pro because it gets the least amount of spit outs. Wonder if this is true or just his sales pitch.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaques View Post
What comes to the plastic preferences, Dave Dunipace mentioned briefly in his latest AMA that pros like KC Pro because it gets the least amount of spit outs. Wonder if this is true or just his sales pitch.
LOL...
Old 07-11-2016, 07:26 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
Seriously? People need to quit quoting Dave... He just makes **** up.

Practice. All putters stick to the chains when when you putt correctly. Premium plastic to baseline all work fine with 100 different molds you can pick from.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Been putting with neutron Proxy for awhile, no issues.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:22 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap-it View Post
LOL...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Seriously? People need to quit quoting Dave... He just makes **** up.
I have to say that this was my first reaction as well. However, he said that he absolutely can not stand the KC plastic for its' lack of grip so I do think that he was rather open about the pros and cons of the plastic.

Quote:
Practice. All putters stick to the chains when when you putt correctly. Premium plastic to baseline all work fine with 100 different molds you can pick from.
Like I said, I have no problem with missing puts where I made a bad put. So what exactly should I practice? The disc angle when it hits the chains? Pace of the disc? Trajectory?

If a put is dead center and bounces back 10 times more often than when another guy does seemingly the same thing, there must be some reason for it. I just want to understand what things factor in.

Last edited by Snaques; 07-11-2016 at 08:25 AM.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:23 AM
Team Borderland

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 87

Quote:
This. I always laugh when someone says they like soft putters because they stick better. The actual difference in the bounceback of different plastics is negligible. If you're struggling with spit-outs, it's not the plastic's fault, it's yours.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 126
Throwing Style: RHBH

Quote:
So what exactly should I practice? The disc angle when it hits the chains? Pace of the disc? Trajectory?

If a put is dead center and bounces back 10 times more often than when another guy does seemingly the same thing, there must be some reason for it. I just want to understand what things factor in.
A combo of everything. Hard to say without seeing it but i can slam a disc into the chains lots of different ways even on my ****ty costco basket and they still stick.

Putting is a tricky SOB. Otherwise we all would be mcklimotodds.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
This. I always laugh when someone says they like soft putters because they stick better. The actual difference in the bounceback of different plastics is negligible. If you're struggling with spit-outs, it's not the plastic's fault, it's yours.
Again, I will practice if you just tell me what it is exactly that I need to practice. I have no problem with putting in the hours or admitting my shortcomings as long as I know what they are.