Old 07-26-2010, 03:35 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default 150 class RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

I recently purchased a XL 148g pro-d for the wife. I took it to the practice field with me this morning and got great distance from this thing. It really surprised me how easy it was to handle and throw. Very little effort for maximum results!

Question is did I stumble across something that is more suited for my style or does all the 150 class disc perform like this. Little effort, very forgiving, lots of glide, very controllable.

This disc is staying in my bag. I compared it with my pro-d XL 172 and got similar results with both. I can get 375+ with my 172 XL and around 350 with the 148. I hit over 400 with my Z XL 175. But the 148g is a lot easier on the arm and shoulder. Getting old I guess.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by discdug View Post
150 class RULES!!!!!!!!!!!
Yup, it does. My entire bag is 150 class: putters, mids and drivers.
I feel that the pros of 150 class outweigh the cons for my particular style of play.
Quote:
Originally Posted by discdug View Post
Question is did I stumble across something that is more suited for my style or does all the 150 class disc perform like this. Little effort, very forgiving, lots of glide, very controllable.
If you feel that it is very controllable then yes, you are getting great results because it is suited for your style. If you find that the discs are really long but too squirrely then you are seeing a distance benefit solely because of the weight.

I don't think 150 class is very forgiving (compared to same molds in max weight) but that's exactly why I like it. It forces me to be better and learn good technique.

Very controllable? It kind of depends on how you define it. If you define controllable as "always goes where I want it to" and you throw like a torque-monkey, then NO; 150 class will not be "controllable" for you. If you define controllable as "tiny input variables can have bigger results in disc flight" then YES; 150 class is more controllable.

Because they weigh less, it doesn't take as forceful of an input to make it go as far, to make it respond, or to torque it off line. I like this aspect because ***if you master your technique*** then 150 class will open up some interesting new doors. But you have to have good technique (or the patience to learn good technique) or else you will probably get too frustrated to stick with it. I went with the patience route and y skillset has definitely benefitted.

Heavy stuff has some distinct advantages but not enough make me switch.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 65
Send a message via AIM to shoe59

Love the 150g DX Destroyer, Firebird -- that's what I have in my bag. I just found a 150g archangel today It might be pretty nice in a tailwind.... Used to have a 150g champion banshee that I loved, it was actually pretty overstable!

150 class are definitely fun to experiment with. If there's a headwind though? forget about it, i'm throwing something heavy.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:15 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 208

I only have one 150g disc and it is a 11x 156g t-bird. It is still stable and is an essential part of my bag. I use it primarily in the woods or on short open fairways. The 150g class is definately worth getting to know.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Years Playing: 15.6
Send a message via AIM to Vegan Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR Stengele View Post
I only have one 150g disc and it is a 11x 156g t-bird.
150g<>156g
Old 07-26-2010, 04:23 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.9
Courses Played: 8

I've got a 150 DX Leopard. Thing does fly perfectly straight with a lot of glide very little effort. It is pretty understable though, so it's really important to focus on release angle. That is probably a good thing because 1) it encourages/forces good form, and 2) sometimes I need that easy right-moving flight. These characteristics make it virtually perfect for what I use the Leopard for: a fairway driver. I still rely on my ~168 discs for serious driving duties, though.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 24

While I do agree that 150 class is pretty awesome, I think most of the good from your results are from the relative understability of the Pro D XL compared to other discs.

Neither of those is a bad thing.

If you want a real fun experiment pick up a 150 archangel. Understable, super light, flippy as all get out...but you can make that disc do some CRAZY things.

I personally love it for super low power short S lines...hole 6 at Naples is like 287' slightly downhill and the best line is to start off right and fade back.

I throw an archangel with almost no power and it turns out, fades back, and generally shoots just past the basket.

\/\/
Old 07-26-2010, 04:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 15

I like lighter discs, like the 150 class but I found that if I am willing to go into the lower 160s, I get a lot more options in plastic.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 43.7
Courses Played: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillACarpenter View Post
If you want a real fun experiment pick up a 150 archangel. Understable, super light, flippy as all get out...but you can make that disc do some CRAZY things.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 26

my wife throws all 150's because it gives her the distance and control to keep up with me. I however find that (maybe because i throw forehand) that they flip over on me... hey i say if you can throw a certain disc well then throw it by all means... don't listen to hype about one disc or weight, just throw what is good for you...