#1271  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Radiomuted's Avatar
Radiomuted Radiomuted is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: San Francisco
Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 473
Ain't nothin wrong with being stiff.
Reply With Quote
  #1272  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 AM
nolangherity nolangherity is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MPLS
Posts: 1,230
yeah this whole cold temp - soft putter mentality is totally false far as i can tell.
Reply With Quote
  #1273  
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM
jongoff09's Avatar
jongoff09 jongoff09 is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Arkansas
Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,869
Stiffer than when it was warmer was what I was getting at. I was afraid the regular plastic might become more slick as it got stiffer and my hands got colder and drier. I don't care for soft putters, but I figured in the cooler air that they would firm up to the stiffness of the regular proton.

I'll find out for myself if the soft putter in cooler weather is false over the coming weeks if it stays cool like this. I still want to give them a try.

I get a cut-through once or twice a round on my home courses, and yesterday I had three, so I am wondering if a softer putter would help with that or not. I know the older baskets have a lot to do with it, because I may get one every two rounds or so on other courses with newer baskets, but that still seems like a lot to me. Trying out a slightly softer putter is a lot easier than changing my putting style.
Reply With Quote
  #1274  
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
discspeed's Avatar
discspeed discspeed is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
yeah this whole cold temp - soft putter mentality is totally false far as i can tell.
This is usually based on feel...At 30-40 degrees a soft will feel exactly like a medium/regular at 70-80 degrees.
Reply With Quote
  #1275  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,572
I was able to test my soft Anode on the course today. I mistakenly thought this disc would be dead straight, like a Zeppelin. The fade at the end was a bit surprising. I bought it for straight approach shots, and so far it handles very well. I just need to keep throwing it so it beats in a bit to get that zero fade flight I want. I have a feeling it'll take a while.

The soft Proton plastic feels great for a the fan grip I use for short (60-130 feet) approaches. It's nice and grippy, and flexible. The only thing I'd switch it for would be a soft Neutron Anode, if they're released.

So, while the Anode has more LSS than I hoped for, it will stay in the bag for now.
Reply With Quote
  #1276  
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
discspeed's Avatar
discspeed discspeed is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I was able to test my soft Anode on the course today. I mistakenly thought this disc would be dead straight, like a Zeppelin. The fade at the end was a bit surprising. I bought it for straight approach shots, and so far it handles very well. I just need to keep throwing it so it beats in a bit to get that zero fade flight I want. I have a feeling it'll take a while.

The soft Proton plastic feels great for a the fan grip I use for short (60-130 feet) approaches. It's nice and grippy, and flexible. The only thing I'd switch it for would be a soft Neutron Anode, if they're released.

So, while the Anode has more LSS than I hoped for, it will stay in the bag for now.
I've got about 10 soft Anodes, and the domier/higher shouldered ones fade and the flat ones don't. My flat red one is what you were looking for...dead straight on approaches with hardly any fade at all, and a slow understable turn when powered. It has taken some beating, but it was pretty straight to start.
Reply With Quote
  #1277  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've got about 10 soft Anodes, and the domier/higher shouldered ones fade and the flat ones don't. My flat red one is what you were looking for...dead straight on approaches with hardly any fade at all, and a slow understable turn when powered. It has taken some beating, but it was pretty straight to start.
This one that I bought is pretty much the first Anode I've had a chance to look at closely. It's a pink one, that's flat, and even slightly concave.

I don't really know what to look for in the "shoulder" though, and have nothing to compare it to.

Since the Ion is my putter, I don't need to buy a bunch of Anodes, so this one will be fun beating it.
Reply With Quote
  #1278  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
cooter's Avatar
cooter cooter is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
This is usually based on feel...At 30-40 degrees a soft will feel exactly like a medium/regular at 70-80 degrees.
This is very true. That was my only gripe with MVP initially. Proton plastic feels like a slick dinner plate in the winter. That's since been addressed with soft and Neutron. I've always switched to softer putters in the winter. I threw Yetis for a while and I would switch to JKs in the cold since they are essentially the same disc just different plastic. I have REALLY been putting well with the Anode lately though. I like the Ion/Anode combo for drives and appraoches as well. I fought it for a while but I can't deny the great results I get with them.
Reply With Quote
  #1279  
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
discspeed's Avatar
discspeed discspeed is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: MI
Posts: 3,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
This one that I bought is pretty much the first Anode I've had a chance to look at closely. It's a pink one, that's flat, and even slightly concave.

I don't really know what to look for in the "shoulder" though, and have nothing to compare it to.

Since the Ion is my putter, I don't need to buy a bunch of Anodes, so this one will be fun beating it.
You've got the straight kind of soft Anode, it will just take a little beating. I gave my straight/understable Anode a little help beating in with some concrete...
Reply With Quote
 
  

  #1280  
Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM
BigSky's Avatar
BigSky BigSky is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 5,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
You've got the straight kind of soft Anode, it will just take a little beating. I gave my straight/understable Anode a little help beating in with some concrete...
Sweet. Thanks for the info Discspeed.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.