Old 11-13-2012, 02:25 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Ain't nothin wrong with being stiff.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 AM
Double Eagle Member

yeah this whole cold temp - soft putter mentality is totally false far as i can tell.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 31
Stiffer than when it was warmer was what I was getting at. I was afraid the regular plastic might become more slick as it got stiffer and my hands got colder and drier. I don't care for soft putters, but I figured in the cooler air that they would firm up to the stiffness of the regular proton.

I'll find out for myself if the soft putter in cooler weather is false over the coming weeks if it stays cool like this. I still want to give them a try.

I get a cut-through once or twice a round on my home courses, and yesterday I had three, so I am wondering if a softer putter would help with that or not. I know the older baskets have a lot to do with it, because I may get one every two rounds or so on other courses with newer baskets, but that still seems like a lot to me. Trying out a slightly softer putter is a lot easier than changing my putting style.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolangherity View Post
yeah this whole cold temp - soft putter mentality is totally false far as i can tell.
This is usually based on feel...At 30-40 degrees a soft will feel exactly like a medium/regular at 70-80 degrees.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 1
I was able to test my soft Anode on the course today. I mistakenly thought this disc would be dead straight, like a Zeppelin. The fade at the end was a bit surprising. I bought it for straight approach shots, and so far it handles very well. I just need to keep throwing it so it beats in a bit to get that zero fade flight I want. I have a feeling it'll take a while.

The soft Proton plastic feels great for a the fan grip I use for short (60-130 feet) approaches. It's nice and grippy, and flexible. The only thing I'd switch it for would be a soft Neutron Anode, if they're released.

So, while the Anode has more LSS than I hoped for, it will stay in the bag for now.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:49 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
I was able to test my soft Anode on the course today. I mistakenly thought this disc would be dead straight, like a Zeppelin. The fade at the end was a bit surprising. I bought it for straight approach shots, and so far it handles very well. I just need to keep throwing it so it beats in a bit to get that zero fade flight I want. I have a feeling it'll take a while.

The soft Proton plastic feels great for a the fan grip I use for short (60-130 feet) approaches. It's nice and grippy, and flexible. The only thing I'd switch it for would be a soft Neutron Anode, if they're released.

So, while the Anode has more LSS than I hoped for, it will stay in the bag for now.
I've got about 10 soft Anodes, and the domier/higher shouldered ones fade and the flat ones don't. My flat red one is what you were looking for...dead straight on approaches with hardly any fade at all, and a slow understable turn when powered. It has taken some beating, but it was pretty straight to start.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by discspeed View Post
I've got about 10 soft Anodes, and the domier/higher shouldered ones fade and the flat ones don't. My flat red one is what you were looking for...dead straight on approaches with hardly any fade at all, and a slow understable turn when powered. It has taken some beating, but it was pretty straight to start.
This one that I bought is pretty much the first Anode I've had a chance to look at closely. It's a pink one, that's flat, and even slightly concave.

I don't really know what to look for in the "shoulder" though, and have nothing to compare it to.

Since the Ion is my putter, I don't need to buy a bunch of Anodes, so this one will be fun beating it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:31 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
This is usually based on feel...At 30-40 degrees a soft will feel exactly like a medium/regular at 70-80 degrees.
This is very true. That was my only gripe with MVP initially. Proton plastic feels like a slick dinner plate in the winter. That's since been addressed with soft and Neutron. I've always switched to softer putters in the winter. I threw Yetis for a while and I would switch to JKs in the cold since they are essentially the same disc just different plastic. I have REALLY been putting well with the Anode lately though. I like the Ion/Anode combo for drives and appraoches as well. I fought it for a while but I can't deny the great results I get with them.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
This one that I bought is pretty much the first Anode I've had a chance to look at closely. It's a pink one, that's flat, and even slightly concave.

I don't really know what to look for in the "shoulder" though, and have nothing to compare it to.

Since the Ion is my putter, I don't need to buy a bunch of Anodes, so this one will be fun beating it.
You've got the straight kind of soft Anode, it will just take a little beating. I gave my straight/understable Anode a little help beating in with some concrete...

Old 11-15-2012, 10:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
You've got the straight kind of soft Anode, it will just take a little beating. I gave my straight/understable Anode a little help beating in with some concrete...
Sweet. Thanks for the info Discspeed.