Old 01-30-2012, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 32
How would you play this?

This came up during a tournament this past weekend in Fountain Hills, AZ. Hole 1, played from the pro tees (arrow on the left). My shot is a underthrown RHBH hyzer that comes in and smacks the wall in front of the putting area (red dot). The arrow on the right is where the basket is located. After much debate amongst my group, we collectively decide that I can take a stance where the blue dots are, and take my putt. After finishing the hole, and teeing off on the next, a guy from the card behind us tells me that I have taken an illegal stance as the concrete that is just above the water is OB. He justifys his stance saying that section of concrete is surrounded by water.

What is your take?

Did I take an illegal stance?

If so, how should I be penalized?

Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Also, if I was in the wrong; how else should I have played it?
Old 01-30-2012, 12:01 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think during the Memorial, you retee if you end up OB no matter how you got there, even if your disc initially landed inbounds on the green and rolled back into the water OB. If you discover you made the mistake after throwing one shot from the blue dots, it counts as a practice throw and you go back and retee. If you make a second throw after the toss from the blue dots before discovering the mistake, you get a 2-throw penalty added to whatever score you threw on the hole. See 801.04B(4).

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 01-30-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 5
Edit: just read above post and realize how little I know about the rules comparatively.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:02 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 34
Send a message via AIM to superium
Not sure on the illegal stance but technically I believe you should be taking your 3rd shot from the tee or wherever your disc began going over water since you never made it back in bounds.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 20
Throwing Style: LHBH
Water is the only OB, correct? And the disc hit the side of the wall, rather than the top? Well, in that case, in my opinion, as the OB line (the edge of the water) is a infinite vertical line extending from the outer edge of those walls, your drive never went inbounds. It struck the side of the wall, preventing it from ever getting past the OB line. That would definitely make any stance on the putting area (even on the walls) illegal. I could certainly see a TD making (different) specific rules about that course and those walls, though.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
I think during the Memorial, you retee if you end up OB no matter how you got there, even if your disc initially landed inbounds on the green and rolled back into the water OB. If you discover you made the mistake after throwing one shot from the blue dots, it counts as a practice throw and you go back and retee. If you make a second throw after the toss from the blue dots before discovering the mistake, you get a 2-throw penalty added to whatever score you threw on the hole.
I can't remember the rules for The Memorial regarding this. I do know that for this event the wall was considered in-bounds. Making contact with it was considered "clearing land".
Old 01-30-2012, 12:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
Water is the only OB, correct? And the disc hit the side of the wall, rather than the top? Well, in that case, in my opinion, as the OB line (the edge of the water) is a infinite vertical line extending from the outer edge of those walls, your drive never went inbounds. It struck the side of the wall, preventing it from ever getting past the OB line. That would definitely make any stance on the putting area (even on the walls) illegal. I could certainly see a TD making (different) specific rules about that course and those walls, though.
I agree with this analysis. Doesn't look from the photos and story that you were ever legally in bounds. Also, if you are the wall and any part of your foot is hanging over the edge forward or back then it is OB and you have an illegal stance. So unless you have superb balance and really small feet it is unlikely you could take a legal stance on a wall that thin
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Throwing Style: RHBH
Essentially, if you play from the wrong location and you discover the error, the throw is a practice throw and you go play from the correct lie. However, if you've played from the wrong spot and then take another shot after that one before discovering the mistake, you finish the hole if you haven't done so yet or you get whatever score you marked for that hole with a 2-shot penalty. That's the general rule for all mistakes like that.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstearns5 View Post
I can't remember the rules for The Memorial regarding this. I do know that for this event the wall was considered in-bounds. Making contact with it was considered "clearing land".
I just confirmed that making contact with the wall at The Memorial was considered "clearing land", and the players lie would be at the point of contact.

I guess I should have just tried to balance on the wall and hit my putt.