Old 01-31-2012, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 156
Throwing Style: RHBH
unmarked mando lines

The mando rule states that:

Quote:
(3) In the case of a double mandatory when no line is marked, the mandatory line is the straight line connecting the two mandatories, and extends beyond them in both directions.
This will not always be perpendicular to the tee which could create some strange "missed mando" situations where your disc lands short of both mando trees but you are still penalized or when your disc lands past the further mando tree but you are not penalized such as in this example.

My question is how do you define double mando? Is any hole with more than 1 mando a double mando? What if a hole has 2 mandos but one is several hundred feet down the fairway from the first? What if both mandos are protecting the same side of the fairway? What if there are more than 2 mandos on a hole?

Clearly it would be in the best interest of everyone to just mark the mando lines but that is not always the case.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2012, 01:14 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.8
Courses Played: 591
With trees aligned a certain way, the tee could have "missed the mando" if the missed mando lines are not marked in a different direction than the line between the trees.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Can you explain that more clearly chuck?
Old 01-31-2012, 01:52 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 317
To me, a "double" mandatory is a single mandatory "obstacle" (which could be composed of multiple objects) where there is a restriction to not go left or right of the mando objects.

What you have pictured there should be considered two separate single mandatories, unless specifically marked.

(2) If no line is marked, the mandatory line is defined as a straight line through the mandatory, perpendicular to the line from the tee to the mandatory.

To me, a true double mandatory needs to be identified as such, and I've honestly never seen one outside of a tournament procedure where they're usually pretty explicit about those sort of things. Not being explicit is going to lead to a lot of ambiguity.

In short, I'd use the rule above for each mandatory object instead of one referring to both of them.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
In short, I'd use the rule above for each mandatory object instead of one referring to both of them.
That seems like a relatively valid explanation. I guess double mando is a slightly vague term, at least to me.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 239

these might not be the best examples

Last edited by snappyfingers; 01-31-2012 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
atl scott - Can you explain that more clearly chuck?
Consider that the tee is where the "X" is in your diagram but much farther down the line but still behind it. Your fairway route "slaloms" thru the double mando.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Consider that the tee is where the "X" is in your diagram but much farther down the line but still behind it. Your fairway route "slaloms" thru the double mando.
Gotcha. Chuck would you agree with the definition of any number of mandos as multiple single mandos by default unless specified as a double mando for this rule interpretation?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:31 PM

I don't know if you can make a default ruling like that. If the trees marked as mandos are "close enough," which I agree is a judgment call, then I'd be inclined to play it as a double mando even if not specified that way and assume the line went between the two trees.

Old 01-31-2012, 05:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHFH
Here's a rough diagram of a hole I played about a month ago that has what I consider a single Mando(Right of the large corner tree) and a double Mando (between two large trees at the top of the hill). Hole plays straight and level for about 75' then slopes off downhill to the right for about 250' to the 1st Mando. After clearing this mando(Right side as viewed from Tee) the hole turns straight back uphill for about 200' before leveling off between the two Double mando trees. Fairway is clear but tight but any shot off the fairway in the first 200' adds strokes because there are many trees to deal with.