Old 06-19-2013, 11:54 PM

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Current Bags for a DIY Golf Backpack

I want to just make a DIY backpack to save some money but Im having trouble finding bags that will work for it. I keep hearing about the XPG Angler but its out of production. Any ideas on another good bag that is backpack style?
Old 06-19-2013, 11:58 PM

Does this look good?

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...4414/#desc-tab
Old 06-20-2013, 12:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 43
From what I've heard, you need a bag that fits 370 tackle boxes. Apparently bags that use 360 boxes aren't big enough.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:04 AM

And the UA Innovate is out of stock everywhere too!
Old 06-20-2013, 01:14 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 43
I would recommend my bag, but it too is discontinued. I have seen it for sale randomly though on the web in different places at different times.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=90352

I posted a picture of it in that thread. The swiss gear internal frame hiking back.

jonespongpilot posted after me and said he had one to sell since he doesn't use it anymore, if you're interested.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
This is going to be my next project.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...0051_232181_-1

Someone posted using an older version of this backpack a couple years ago but it got buried in the "Cabela's FTW" movement and never really got any attention.

It's $30 online, but I'm not sure what shipping would run. They have free shipping over $40, so it might be better to just grab a couple golf towels or something for $10 instead of paying the shipping. If you have an Academy Sports near you, though, you can just grab one.

For another $10 or so you can hunt down a U-channel divider and it looks like it can drop right in. PVC frames or Plexiglas might work as well to sturdy up the back. Overall it looks like a cheap, simple option. I'm not sure what Academy's stock is like on these bags. They seem to be the exclusive retailer of these.

Here's a couple pics of what it can look like converted. ***These are not my pics*** Also, the top putter pocket is a modification and doesn't come out of the box like that. Although it doesn't seem too complicated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1498.jpg (66.1 KB, 392 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1499.jpg (68.4 KB, 276 views)
Old 06-22-2013, 03:58 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by throwfromthewoods View Post
This is going to be my next project.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...0051_232181_-1

Someone posted using an older version of this backpack a couple years ago but it got buried in the "Cabela's FTW" movement and never really got any attention.

It's $30 online, but I'm not sure what shipping would run. They have free shipping over $40, so it might be better to just grab a couple golf towels or something for $10 instead of paying the shipping. If you have an Academy Sports near you, though, you can just grab one.

For another $10 or so you can hunt down a U-channel divider and it looks like it can drop right in. PVC frames or Plexiglas might work as well to sturdy up the back. Overall it looks like a cheap, simple option. I'm not sure what Academy's stock is like on these bags. They seem to be the exclusive retailer of these.

Here's a couple pics of what it can look like converted. ***These are not my pics*** Also, the top putter pocket is a modification and doesn't come out of the box like that. Although it doesn't seem too complicated.
Took your advice on my way home from league play today. Stopped at Academy and grabbed a 5.99 stool and this bag. Got home took the dividers out of my deluxe innova bag, took some padding out of the back of the new magellen bag and popped my divders in there. Worked out well. Bag looks nice as well. Only downside is I need to do some mods to make a putter pocket. Only 29.99 in store and they had 2 in stock when I went there. Heres a pic:

Old 06-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Bogey Member

couldnt edit the pics but, i was able pretty easily to make the front into a putter pocket.

Old 06-22-2013, 05:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinf67 View Post
couldnt edit the pics but, i was able pretty easily to make the front into a putter pocket.

Hard to tell exactly, how many discs are in there? It'd be awesome if you could post a couple more pics too.
I tried the Cabela - added a seat-frame and sewed on a drink holder but it only carries 14-15 easily and I need a few more than that.

And how exactly did you do the front pocket?

Old 06-22-2013, 07:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherBill View Post
Hard to tell exactly, how many discs are in there? It'd be awesome if you could post a couple more pics too.
I tried the Cabela - added a seat-frame and sewed on a drink holder but it only carries 14-15 easily and I need a few more than that.

And how exactly did you do the front pocket?
Looks like he's got 18 in the main compartment with at least 5 mids/putters. So 20 with the two in the front.