Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 04-19-2013, 03:30 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 22
Advice handling being the best player in town (not bragging about my "skills"

I am by far the best player in our town, and am finding it awkward handling as we get a club going. Mostly it feels awkward because I'm not just a normal player- I am the driving force behind all disc golf in town, our league coordinator, and a co-TD at all of our planned tournaments. So when I am almost guaranteed to win a prize or cash at something I organised, that feels weird.

Before I go on: I really don't mean to brag about my "mad skills." I am not a great player by any means- I am ecstatic to place in the advanced division at out-of-town tournaments, I can only throw ~315' on a good day, finishing on par is a great round for me, and my putting is average at best. The only reason I am the best player in town is because the sport is brand new to almost everyone but me, I play the most, and I am the only one who actually practices. I am confident (and hopeful) that in a year or two there will be people in town kicking my butt regularly- there already are a few guys who could if they were consistent through a whole round.

We have a weekly league starting up next month. It will be points based (1 point for showing up, 1 point for everyone you beat). We aren't doing a handicap league because no one but me wanted to do handicaps, no one else was willing to coordinate, and I don't have the time/energy to coordinate anything but the simplest league. We also have three tournaments planned. I want to play in all of these because I want to play, but I couldn't care less about winning the prizes we are offering. The difficulty is, I am probably going to win by a decent margin in any games I play. Any advice on handling this?

I feel like winning all the time will discourage people, and might make it look like I am only setting things up to benefit myself with prizes and cash. I also feel like playing and declining first place might come off as patronizing. And playing and just trying not to win feels even worse. Any advice on not discouraging people and not coming off as a dick would be good. Do you think it is actually a big deal if I win most of the time?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 03:37 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 62
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's not like your cheating. Someone has to be top dog. Go play and have fun.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH
Do your best and hopefully that will force others to step up their game.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:42 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
I was going to make a snide comment...

Humility, my friend. Humility is all I have to say.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 82
I run a couple of leagues and win often enough that I know where you are coming from. You need to get some others to pitch in and run things when you can't be there. Make sure the league is regular and not built around your schedule. If you win money, turn some of it back around for CTPs or other prizes. That's some things I do, anyway. Whatever you do, don't play below your ability. I played all putter once and they still bring that up.

Last edited by jenb; 04-19-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Eagle Member

Any thoughts to adding in a random doubles event maybe every other week? or once a month? If the situation is as you described, a constant string of singles rounds might make some lose interest if the results stay consistent each week. Might be fun to break it up and do random doubles best shot, give some others a shot at the top spot for a week.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 97
I like what Jen said about throwing in CTP's. I used to run a doubles league at school and I threw in a DX Teebird for a CTP prize. I ended up winning it back 3 weeks in a row before someone else won the CTP.

Another good way to entice people to come back is to run a random draw doubles league instead of a singles league. Especially on easier courses doubles levels the playing field a lot, helps cover the mistakes of weaker players, and also gives more people a shot at winning It may even entice a few people back knowing the have the opportunity to draw you as a partner.
Old 04-19-2013, 04:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenThrower View Post
Any thoughts to adding in a random doubles event maybe every other week? or once a month? If the situation is as you described, a constant string of singles rounds might make some lose interest if the results stay consistent each week. Might be fun to break it up and do random doubles best shot, give some others a shot at the top spot for a week.
Beat me to it!
Old 04-19-2013, 04:06 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Something to consider would be to just run the league. Have a league fee per player to compensate you for your efforts. Now here's the twist, you play as if you were competing to establish the score to beat that night. If anyone beats your score, they get to keep what you collected as the league fee.

Old 04-19-2013, 04:07 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax11 View Post
Another good way to entice people to come back is to run a random draw doubles league instead of a singles league. Especially on easier courses doubles levels the playing field a lot, helps cover the mistakes of weaker players, and also gives more people a shot at winning It may even entice a few people back knowing the have the opportunity to draw you as a partner.
Seeing as it is such a good idea, it deserved to be posted twice.