Old 07-20-2012, 12:06 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: LHBH
NEWER UPDATE!!!

I went out and "played" the course with a friend of mine who knows it and lost three discs on holes 2 - 4. The first one went right off the 2nd tee, kicked right off a tree, and down a 100ft ravine full of salal (Orange beat Champ 163 Orc). The second seemed like a perfect pull off the tee that went past the pole where the basket will be and into a mix of young dough fir, salal, salmonberry, and anything else that could fit. THICK. I though I saw where it went in but no luck (Orange new Champ 175 Tbird). The third was a light anhyzer off the tee and my friend was spotting and saw where it went in. Again it went into the thickest stuff you ever see. We even had a machete and STILL COULDN'T FIND IT (My prized, beat, blue 170 Champ Eagle). After that, I stopped throwing drivers, save the one long clear hole close to the road.

The course layout is great (doug firs, ELEVATION CHANGES, etc), but the amount of plant matter (dead and alive) that they are going to have to clear is going to be daunting. In the next month, a contractor is coming with some heavy duty brush clearing equipment and chippers that will clear most of that thick stuff (and probably two of my discs), but my greater concern is with both shanking (see first lost disc above) and footing in general.

Any of you who have tried to walk through coastal forest will know what I mean. You have old downed logs covered in moss and other litter that looks like ground but isn't. Now walk on that stuff going down a ravine where your disc ended up. I know they are planning to clear the fairways and by the baskets, along with building some steps and walkways, but we know that discs could end up anywhere. It's going to take years of play to get it beat in enough.

Even with everything cleared up better, I do not think this course is good for beginners or older folks. Because if you shank, it's bad. Even experienced guys will swear blue streaks. So when they open it, bring plastic you don't care about and a machete.

That all being said, any course is better than no course.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Par Member

Here's another update from the people running the show:

Local Area Announcement: October 6th and 7th we will be having work party to instal the Innova Baskets and finish the remaing 5 tee boxes. Anyone willing to participate we are asking you to bring in-kind,: shovels, weed trimmers, machetes, chain saws, wheel barrels, fuel for machines that you use, and rakes. What you bring others may use to help construct the course if you choose or wield your own if you like. Don't forget to wear hardy clothing and have a pair of gloves. The site is off HWY 101 1/2 mile South of the Newport Bay bridge. Heading South on 101 after bridge go 1/2 mile to a left on 40th street which become Harbarton St. and follow for 1 mile. Meeting at Harbarton st. and College Way at 8 am both days and work party until 2 pm each day. Thank you and any questions contact by text or call Stephen Burdick 5038120672 or Alma Baxter 5038122016

Old 10-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Par Member

All baskets should be in today. Even though course fairways have been cleared, I'd bring a machete. Even then, I wouldn't throw your most valued plastic here. It's still a new/raw course. I'm not sure the course is going to be marked any time soon, so a map is here:

http://discombobulatedbobdiscgolf.fi...newport-or.jpg