Old 02-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Roadrunners are great rollers. They really teach you how to control your roller. If you start out with something that is more stable then you won't get the control part of a roller.

I use a champion roadrunner and star stingray for turnover rollers.

I use a champion beast for straight and cut rollers.

I will also roll a gateway voodoo (putter) for short rollers that I might need to turn pretty hard.

I also think the 20% rule is also a good rule of thumb.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:54 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 40
Roller record on non-turf is 3791 feet.

http://wfdf.org/worldrecords/?r_sec=1

I've heard it was done with an Aviar.

https://www.discgolfvalues.com/bigd2.htm
Old 02-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 11
Quote:
Randy also crushed a roller 1,156 meters to triple the old non-turf roller record of only 365 meters (a turf roller is on grass and a non-turf roller is not on grass, the non-turf distinction was made just because of Big D Iís results). He beat Mark Molnar by about 16 meters. At this distance throws are difficult to measure so it may have measured a meter or two longer. A note about these rollers, they did travel 1,156 meter or 1.156 kilometers. You may want to get into your car and drive that distance to see how far it actually is. The ground is so flat that the discs travel under there own power for about 300 meters and then they take up wobbling side to side, still standing, for the remainder. It would have gone farther but it ran out of smooth lakebed. You still need to be able to throw far to get them to go 1000+ meters but the old record of 365 meters was done with an Aviar Putter!
From the link above.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 2
So if you're going purely for distance, BH rollers are where it's at.
Oh, and a tip: the longer it airs our before rolling, the farther it's going to go in general (assuming you threw it with proper form).
Old 02-19-2012, 11:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 11
Yes, I am seeing that.

It's sort of a weird looking shot, the disc goes long and right and bites in heading left and standing up! Then it goes and goes and goes, depends on what is at the end but if it's flat, then mine turn right and little circle at the end tipping over belly up.

The roller is even more of a disc throw than ever...

I am so glad I have a good mentor in learning these. It is easy to get defeated, you HAVE to throw the right disc and throw it the right way or your disc just burns off rolling way perpendicular to where you really want it to go. And man do they find the downhill line if you aren't throwing them correctly, they'll just find the water and roll right in.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.4
Courses Played: 86
Quote:
Randy also crushed a roller 1,156 meters to triple the old non-turf roller record of only 365 meters (a turf roller is on grass and a non-turf roller is not on grass, the non-turf distinction was made just because of Big D Iís results). He beat Mark Molnar by about 16 meters. At this distance throws are difficult to measure so it may have measured a meter or two longer. A note about these rollers, they did travel 1,156 meter or 1.156 kilometers. You may want to get into your car and drive that distance to see how far it actually is. The ground is so flat that the discs travel under there own power for about 300 meters and then they take up wobbling side to side, still standing, for the remainder. It would have gone farther but it ran out of smooth lakebed. You still need to be able to throw far to get them to go 1000+ meters but the old record of 365 meters was done with an Aviar Putter!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hangwind View Post
From the link above.
Randy Lahm had an absolute cannon.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 74
I have rolled a RoadRunner in the past. I like how controllable it is. I found lately that rolling more stable plastic gets you longer rolls. For instance, I am now rolling a beast and it is working out good. It doesn't stand up as fast and when it does it still has good amount of distance left.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
I roll my roadrunner, it is a really good disc for it imo
Old 02-22-2012, 04:33 PM

Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuddyp4 View Post
Roadrunners are great rollers. They really teach you how to control your roller. If you start out with something that is more stable then you won't get the control part of a roller.

I use a champion roadrunner and star stingray for turnover rollers.

I use a champion beast for straight and cut rollers.

I will also roll a gateway voodoo (putter) for short rollers that I might need to turn pretty hard.

I also think the 20% rule is also a good rule of thumb.
I also use a beat in Champ Beast for my straight rollers.
I occasionally use a Star Roadrunner to roll with. However it is rare that I attempt a roller, at least from the tee.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 27
I have a 175 champ roadrunner I use as my go to roller. I have had 3 different champ RR's all have been great as rollers. Haven't picked up a star RR yet, any more UNDERstable?