Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Disc Dyeing

Old 04-14-2015, 12:22 PM

Years Playing: 13.9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Airbrush dye show-n-tell, and helpful hints to get started airbrushing

So my brother-in-law and I have been dyeing disc's for awhile, he more so than myself. Between the two of us, he has become very good at all the traditional methods of dyeing and I have gotten good at experimenting with non-traditional methods. It also helps that he has a vinyl cutting plotter.

Full gallery: Image Gallery

I recently bought an airbrush to test out spraying dye hoping to master creating gradients quickly and easily. It was a success, here's a story:

-Air hose ran into the kitchen:

-I run just a little under 10psi, depends on the thickness of the mix. No more or it blows the mix around horribly, anything less causes a splotchy spray pattern.

-Parts list:
1. Denatured alcohol, acetone, and clear unscented detergent (local hardware store $7 - $10 each)
2. Oregano shakers from Bed, Bath, and Beyond ($1 each, great for storing mixed dye)
3. Plastic squeeze bottles for final airbrush ready mix. ($1.79 from Hobby Lobby - 2 pack)
4. Measuring devices (Don't use your gf/wifes, or what you use for food - buy ones you don't care about)
5. ProChemical Dye, or your favorite. (price varies)
6. An airbrush (Iwata Neo CN $50-$70 - can be super expensive for fancier ones)

-After some trial and error (a lot of trial and error) I found a good dye mix:
1-tbls of denatured alcohol
1-tbls of acetone
1-tbls of scalding hot water. (from tap or heated on stove)
2 or 3 scooped and leveled 1/4 tsp of dye powder (depends on strength you want) I found 2 scoops work well for darker colors and 1 scoop for lighter colors, 3 scoops for black and red.

-Mix/shake these 4 ingredients together in the jars or something you can seal well. Once fully dissolved, or close to it, set the jars to the side.

-Get the plastic squeeze bottles or something equivalent and measure out 10 to 15ml (1 tbls) of clear unscented detergent and pour it into the squeeze bottles.

-Go back to the dye mix and measure out 5ml of the liquid (1 tsp) into the squeeze bottles of detergent. Add 10ml or 2 tsp of dye for black and red. Cap the bottles and give each a little shake to mix the color with detergent. Don't worry if it creates bubbles, they will go away.

Bam, your airbrush dye mix is ready and should be of a proper consistency.

NOTE: This method works extremely well with ProChemical dyes, I haven't test the other brands.

-After you are done spraying your dye, you don't need to keep anything wet or moist.

-Partly fill your sink or a some kind of container with water hot enough to create a little steam. Put some kind of shot glass or something in the water to keep the disk elevated and let it sit covered (I use tin foil) for 5 to 10 minutes. If you are careful or a risk taker you can float the disc in the water.

-Basically, just let the disc sit in some kind of a steam for 5 to 10 minutes.

-Once that time has passed rinse the disc with hot water. Dry with your favorite expendable towel. Done.

There will be trial and error...

But after a little practice and patience you will get the hang of it:

*Pro tip: Go slow and use stencils or vinyl to give crisp fine lines.

I hope this encourages anyone ready to take a plunge.

-Crack
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2015, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Wow.... great write-up dude. Can't wait to see where this leads.
Old 04-14-2015, 12:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 10
Man! Great first post, CrAcKaNuG! Welcome!

I've been wanting to try an airbrush to apply dyes, and you've given me incentive to jump in now. Thanks for posting.

Peace,
-Jeff
Old 04-14-2015, 01:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 71

I'd love to try airbrushing, but didn't want to spend a ton buying everything for it to not work well. Now I'll have to buy one.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Wow.... great write-up dude. Can't wait to see where this leads.
Thanks man! I was just so happy it worked. After all was said and done I was about 100 dollars in and didn't want it to be a complete and utter failure. Can't wait to see where this goes as well. Next up, water, then maybe some finer art.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane7 View Post
Man! Great first post, CrAcKaNuG! Welcome!

I've been wanting to try an airbrush to apply dyes, and you've given me incentive to jump in now. Thanks for posting.

Peace,
-Jeff
Thanks man, I normally lurk and was waiting for something worth while to post. Good luck and you will be happy with the results. Took me about 2 weeks to get all the measurements, etc dialed in before it worked well. One other thing. If your dye mix has a lot of granules when you try and use the airbrush, it will clog, then suddenly dislodge and dye will run everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roggenb3 View Post

I'd love to try airbrushing, but didn't want to spend a ton buying everything for it to not work well. Now I'll have to buy one.
Can't go wrong and totally worth the time it takes to finish a disc. I found it goes quicker than the normal dye and let it sit method. Plus you use so little dye and get tremendous results! I almost couldn't believe it when it worked.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 29
That's a cool technique. Good stuff man!
Old 04-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 21
That Renegade looks awesome. I bet this would pair well with a stenciled black outline.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Birdie Member

Great write up man! Thank you for contributing to the forum. I may have to give this a go if I ever start dyeing discs again Weather has been too nice lately to do anything but throw!
Old 04-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAcKaNuG View Post
One other thing. If your dye mix has a lot of granules when you try and use the airbrush, it will clog, then suddenly dislodge and dye will run everywhere.
I'd be willing to bet that if you ran the mixture though a paint strainer, it would work just fine. (Haven't used a strainer in years, with the built in filters in top feed paint cups now.)

Peace,
-Jeff

Old 04-14-2015, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane7 View Post
I'd be willing to bet that if you ran the mixture though a paint strainer, it would work just fine. (Haven't used a strainer in years, with the built in filters in top feed paint cups now.)

Peace,
-Jeff
Once I was able to get the mix fine tuned it wasn't an issue. However, with the black and red I filtered it with some cotton rags you typically find from the paint section at your hardware store.

On side note... I just wanted to say your Calvin and Hobbes disc was amazing, ridiculously amazing! That takes serious time and skill to do; plus I'm a big fan of Bill Waterson's work and have a soft spot for Calvin and Hobbes. Many fond childhood memories and I thank you for the feelz that brought up. Thank you and damn good work!