Old 10-17-2013, 04:31 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.1
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Edwards View Post
This is my second attempt at Brainwave dyeing. I like how it turned out.
That looks great Rob! Are you using iDye Poly because that pink is BRIGHT?!
Old 10-20-2013, 11:28 PM
Par Member

Dyed this Proton Soft Anode yesterday. It's dark purple so the only color i could really use is black! From the top the dye looks black, but in the light looking through the disc the dye looks purple ! The only thing i'm curious about is when i wiped the stamp i thought there was more ink/stamp on the disc (because MVP is known for deep hot stamps) when i wiped it again it smeared/dulled the plastic! Has anyone else found MVP discs to smear easily?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF2846.jpg (139.1 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF2848.jpg (114.8 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-21-2013, 09:54 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomn8r View Post
The only thing i'm curious about is when i wiped the stamp i thought there was more ink/stamp on the disc (because MVP is known for deep hot stamps) when i wiped it again it smeared/dulled the plastic! Has anyone else found MVP discs to smear easily?
In my experience wiping stamps with acetone *always* dulls the sheen on the plastic - That's why I prefer blanks...
Old 10-21-2013, 10:36 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holotone View Post
In my experience wiping stamps with acetone *always* dulls the sheen on the plastic - That's why I prefer blanks...
I would prefer blanks also, but this is the first disc it's done it to in a while! The only other time acetone does this IME is when the can is low,..it is not. The discs i did a couple weeks ago, which were Innova did not smear!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:50 AM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
My Okthrowberfest entry:

Austin Turner Innova disc:

Did this a while ago, let it go at the Bradford Open for a raffle drawing. Bart Simpson, Nevermind:

Champ Glow Gator, Ace of Spades:
Old 10-22-2013, 10:31 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 25
Wow, the glow version of the Octhrowberfest entry is sweet! Well, both are, but it kept an impressive amount of glow after the dye.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 39
Since I've got the time (math test on Monday and I've really been packing in the study time) my Okthrowberfest entries were "Left the Remote in There..." and "Autumn's Fury." Big ol' thank you to all who voted for me, 7th and 9th place isn't the worst for my first year in and hopefully I can do better next year!

In the meantime, gotta hone the skills right? Here's my latest!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PA201904.jpg (112.6 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg PA221914.jpg (107.4 KB, 155 views)
Old 10-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
^^ That phoenix is one of the sweetest dyes I've ever seen. Seriously.

And I loved both your Ok entries, especially "Left the Remote in There." The detail and design composition is excellent!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
Awesome work Fantom! "Autumns Fury" was my 1st vote choice. I loved the color theme on it.

The color work in "left remote" was great too.

Bennett, the color work on the "13th" won my vote as well. Thanks for the work you do to make this happen for all of us to see.

My other fave was "Rise Above" for the color of the disc and the single color done as a dip dye.

Any of the entrants want to chime in and let us in on the thought process and a description of how the dye was done. I would definitely like to hear about it.

Old 10-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 25
I know this one didn't do well, but I'll let you know what I did / learned on the way. This is the second dye job I've done and the first was a very simple one.

This is a white Star Mako that I had to wipe the stamp on. In the future, I'd use a blank disc for something that I can't have bleed. All of the black was done as a dip and the color was added with a brush. I used iDye Poly and laundry detergent to get a paint-like consistency. I chose not to use alcohol or acetone, as I didn't want to complicate things further at this point. The leaves, I attempted to do a 3-color look to them, since that's they was the oak leaves in my neighborhood were looking at the time. I was surprised at the hard edges I got to the colored areas as I painted the dye on. As for the letters, unfortunately the camera didn't pick it up well, but it fades from a vibrant red to a lighter shade. That actually did work well! All of the bleed spots were areas where the logo raised the vinyl. I've since found a hair-dryer works well to tack those areas down, when paired with a good rub-down with a vinyl application card.