Old 03-04-2012, 02:50 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilz4 View Post
First of all- thanks for the time and advice everyone. I'm going to try to reply in one address rather than separate responses.

I've driven with the Anode (I also have a backup) and I think it's great- I can huck that thing around 230 without even thinking. The only reason I relegate it to just putting is I've read quite a bit that as far as a putter goes, pick one and putt with it (Bad advice?).

I'm definitely interested in getting an OS putter, though I thought the 12x Aviar was OS enough? Any suggestions?

to Grip- will a heavy glow Buzzz be stable enough to fill the OS mid slot? And what exactly do you mean by "pick a putter and find a compliment"? I've got a 12x Champ Firebird for very OS but was thinking to get a xXx (slightly slower) once I feel comfortable with the TB...any thoughts?
Since you said the Wasp basically just sits there, and that you are discing down, I assumed you weren't exactly a huge arm - so yes it should be plenty stable. Firebird should be fine for now, even though the xXx is slower it is also even more overstable than a FB - so shy away from them for a while (as intriguing as they sound).

As for the putter situation . . . if you can both drive AND putt with the Anode, ditch the KC for something even more stable i.e. Zone, Rhyno for wind and other OS purposes. If you like the KC more (which I don't think you do, but I won't jump to conclusions) I would drop the Anode and get something less stable i.e. baseline putters from any company without a bead.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohtobediscing View Post
Heh heh----in the all-thread catagory, the title says "Trying to build a 'still..." . If you were from the Confederacy, you'd already know how...
ha!

i get it
Old 03-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by gripenemys2k View Post
Since you said the Wasp basically just sits there, and that you are discing down, I assumed you weren't exactly a huge arm - so yes it should be plenty stable.
Ah, yes, I should have said this earlier--in my OP I asked about any OS mids w/o beads (you may have missed it) because I have very small knuckles, thus I really don't feel comfortable with the deep wings of beaded mids. Gave up my KC Roc because it felt too big, Axis is a little big and the Wasp just doesn't feel right.

Is there an OS replacement that won't have a bead or is a heavy Glow Buzzz going to be my best bet?
Old 03-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Don Rickles #1 Fan

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
OK. I'm going to go against what everyone here is saying so stick with me here. If you want to learn how to throw, I would pick one mid and one putter. The reason I say this is because you should be focusing on your form, not trying to figure out which disc to throw in which situation. Too many molds will have you throwing similar, flat throws and letting the discs do the work. Discs are useful, not because they execute one kind of shot but several. Using one or two discs will teach you to manipulate release angles and will help you to discover that you are in control of the disc, not the other way around.

That being said, with you having so many duplicate discs, they would all show their usefulness at the practice field. Using fewer discs will also season your discs faster, allowing to see how useful a mold can be throughout its lifespan.

When I started, I threw a TeeBird (admittedly too fast for me back then), Buzzz, and Aviar for the first two or three years.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
^^^Some good advice there, and yes I caught the "no bead" comment and that's why I suggested the heavy glow Buzzz
Old 03-04-2012, 12:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
OK. I'm going to go against what everyone here is saying so stick with me here. If you want to learn how to throw, I would pick one mid and one putter. The reason I say this is because you should be focusing on your form, not trying to figure out which disc to throw in which situation. Too many molds will have you throwing similar, flat throws and letting the discs do the work. Discs are useful, not because they execute one kind of shot but several. Using one or two discs will teach you to manipulate release angles and will help you to discover that you are in control of the disc, not the other way around.
This mostly.

Also as far as beadless OS mids, Star Gators are beadless and still plenty OS. Sentinel's are also pretty OS and dont have a bead I can think of.
Drones dont have beads either. Truthfully tho these might be too much for you at the moment, but if you want to experiment with them those would be my suggestions. Im sure there are others that fit the bill but i believe those will be the easiest to find.

keep the 7/10 esp buzz, get a new Z buzz, drop all the others. Get a new aviar, DX would be better for driving IMO, they start off more HSS than stiffer KC's for driving and beat in faster and in a few months, get another one, and youll have a putting putter, a driving putter thats OS and a driving and approach putter thats more workable at lower speeds.

Get a star TB, and a champ banshee. Why? Champ TB will overlap on powered down shots with a banshee some. FB is too much for you and I think a banshee would give you a good OS driver thats not fading as soon as it leaves your hand. Star teebirds have more glide, beat in a little faster/better, are more workable, and its a good mold for someone trying to disc down and simplify the bag. The champ banshee can double as your OS mid as well, its great powered down.

IMO this could be your bag

KC aviar- putting
2x DX BB aviar- drives and approaches

Z Buzzz- heavier, new, workhorse mid
ESP buzz- lighter, beat, understable mid

Champ Banshee, new, weight doesnt matter, its one of the more consistent molds innova has and is usually pretty OS even in lighter weights so whatever weight you want.

Star Tbird, new, workhorse driver, maybe grab a DX TB as well itll likely start out at least as stable if not more than the star, but will beat in to a nice turnover driver with some rollers and some tree whacks
Old 03-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 2
Recently I have been enjoying the pain, It is basically a beefy buzzz that isn't nasty overstable but has a good strong fade.
Old 03-04-2012, 02:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 22.2
Courses Played: 17
Along with the good advice posted here I would add a Pro Leo. Also at least try a heavy KC Roc and see how you like it compared to your Buzzzes...
Old 03-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Birdie Member

Get a stack of Nukes and throw, throw, throw.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dj1001 View Post
Recently I have been enjoying the pain, It is basically a beefy buzzz that isn't nasty overstable but has a good strong fade.
And its comfortable in the hand. I don't prefer beaded disc either.

The Pain or maybe even the new Westside Warship...