Old 09-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Discmania DD Hysteria vs Innova Wraith

Alright. I'm looking at bumping my "distance" mold up to a faster disc after a couple years of discing down. My form has vastly improved, mids are pretty easy to 290, fairways to 340 in average during-a-round conditions. I bombed a pro Wraith about 370' in the field the other day, and I think I could improve on that with some familiarity with whatever mold I choose. Using power grip is comfortable for me on a 2.1cm rim, but not on the 1.9cm of my OLFs, Vikings, etc, so working on that I'm hoping to inch toward 400'. I want to be thoughtful about getting a good mold in that slot. I probably will have room for 3 discs in this slot in my bag.

I have Wraiths, a choice line up of Wraiths that I've found, no contact info, as if the universe wants me to throw Wraiths. I'm worried about them in light to medium wind conditions and I'm curious if anyone throws DD's as their main distance driver.

Are there any preferred runs or vairances with the DD's to look out for like there is with PD's?

Or, since they share a rim, does anyone mixe-and-match with Wraiths and DD's, or hell, Archons and Astras for that matter?

Wraiths are a pretty vetted disc, DD's I don't hear anything about, really. I only found 3 threads for "Hysteria," but they seemed to come up a lot in the "Most Stable Wraith" thread.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:32 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 117
EDIT: I just read more closely and saw that you're asking about the Hysteria, not the Frenzy/DD. I had a Hysteria for a short while, but it reminded me more of a fairway driver than a distance driver, so it wasn't in my bag long as I have TeeBirds and Orcs for my fairway drivers.

When the DDs came out, I checked them out because I heard they were basically a faster Wraith - and I love wraiths. I actually picked up a handful of them. I tried a couple different weights, including a 165 blizzard version. None of them really ever went further than my Wraiths. It could be me, but these new discs seem to be mostly hype.
They do seem to be a little easier to throw, but they are also more temperamental. In field testing them, along with my normal "go to" drivers the distance was all pretty much even. My advice is to find lighter or more worn in Wraiths and use them to throw hyzer flips for more distance.
Your concern about wind is a valid one. But, if you have a newer, more overstable Wraith, you should be fine unless we're talking huge gusts that would turn anything over.
If you're really interested in the DD's, I could sell you a couple of mine. Most are the C-Line (champion) plastic, but I also have the blizzard and 1 S-Line (pro plastic). Post here, or shoot me a PM if interested

Last edited by Golden Tuna; 09-06-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:35 AM
Eagle Member

I love the Wraith and throw them with confidence into 15-20 mph headwinds. A 175g Star or Champion Wraith works really well in a headwind if you throw it on a hard hyzer. It will flatten out and hold a straight line. When the wind is 15mph or lower I throw it flat and often put some anhyzer on it for shot shaping. The Hysteria has more HSS so you may not get as much distance on it but it will certainly be more steady in serious headwinds. I would recommend working Wraiths on different lines to get the desired result in different wind conditions.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
DD's are great. Wraiths very quite a bit, it really depends on what kind you get. I would say max weight s-DD's fly a ton like max weight beefy star wraiths. I had a max weight wraith that was one of the beefier ones and the S-DD was still more HSS but maybe like .25 less LSS. More stable wraith really is a good comparison.

Wraiths will most likely give you that little bit of flex (the -1 from -1,3) whereas DD's really do fly like 0's for HSS.

I love DD's. I ended up switching to Trespasses because I love lat64/DD, but I still have 3 Max weight S-DD's stored away.

I think the first run S-DD's are a little less HSS but the production runs are pretty OS.

I loved these for FH distance shots, they seem to have pretty crazy skips as well. If you have any other questions, I'd love to answer them. I know MikeC had great success with them as well. They are a very underrated mold.

Side note, trespass is also a good 3rd choice if you are looking to branch out, if not DD's are absolutely money!
Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripFuture View Post
I love the Wraith and throw them with confidence into 15-20 mph headwinds. A 175g Star or Champion Wraith works really well in a headwind if you throw it on a hard hyzer. It will flatten out and hold a straight line. When the wind is 15mph or lower I throw it flat and often put some anhyzer on it for shot shaping. The Hysteria has more HSS so you may not get as much distance on it but it will certainly be more steady in serious headwinds. I would recommend working Wraiths on different lines to get the desired result in different wind conditions.
+1! I agree. Wraith if you want a line shaper. The DD has quite a bit of beef
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
The S-line DD's I've thrown fly closer to a Destroyer than Wraith. It's a solid disc just steer clear of the 1st Run C-line DD's - there are some that are more over stable than the PD2.

If I feel that my distance driver will be a little to slippery in the wind then I'll throw a PD and sacrifice a couple feet. But as far as a distance driver, you can't go wrong with a Wraith but the Dynamic Discs Renegade is the one you want to check out - you are a Capital City Renegade after all.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
For Wraiths I have a 7/10 pearly pre-#'s champ, a 7/10 flattop Star with a high PLH, a 8/10 Pro and a 5/10 pro (rollers, anyone? ).

Oh, and a 160g Starlite, never thrown.

I've yet to do field work with 'em, but I have thrown the flat Star one, and I know it turns a bit for me, so I figured the Champ one will to, just based on the parting line. My other concern is that those aren't just stock Wraiths and replacements would be a minor headache.

Sounds like an S-DD would bookend well on the stable side of my Wraiths and give me something to toss into winds where I'm not reaching for a Firebird.

Swords have a pretty shallow rim and I find I can't throw Lat plastic during the hot, humid months. Sweaty hands and slick, hard to dry plastic don't mix! I "branched out" for most of last year, then trimmed back.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:00 AM
* Ace Member *

I feel like the DD is more a control driver for big arms than a distance driver for not as big arms. The Wraith is a much better (more glide, better flightpath for D, more versatile) distance driver for most people.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:14 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 34
Anyone using the DD as a control driver/forehand driver. I had a P-Line a couple years ago and really liked it. Thinking about picking one up again but either S or C Line.

Old 02-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 3
If the TeeRex and Wraith had a baby - it would be the DD Hysteria. P-lines have more glide - S and C lines are even more beefy. Much more HSS than a Wraith, better distance and glide than a TeeRex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whentherainscome View Post
Alright. I'm looking at bumping my "distance" mold up to a faster disc after a couple years of discing down. My form has vastly improved, mids are pretty easy to 290, fairways to 340 in average during-a-round conditions. I bombed a pro Wraith about 370' in the field the other day, and I think I could improve on that with some familiarity with whatever mold I choose. Using power grip is comfortable for me on a 2.1cm rim, but not on the 1.9cm of my OLFs, Vikings, etc, so working on that I'm hoping to inch toward 400'. I want to be thoughtful about getting a good mold in that slot. I probably will have room for 3 discs in this slot in my bag.

I have Wraiths, a choice line up of Wraiths that I've found, no contact info, as if the universe wants me to throw Wraiths. I'm worried about them in light to medium wind conditions and I'm curious if anyone throws DD's as their main distance driver.

Are there any preferred runs or vairances with the DD's to look out for like there is with PD's?

Or, since they share a rim, does anyone mixe-and-match with Wraiths and DD's, or hell, Archons and Astras for that matter?

Wraiths are a pretty vetted disc, DD's I don't hear anything about, really. I only found 3 threads for "Hysteria," but they seemed to come up a lot in the "Most Stable Wraith" thread.