Old 08-16-2016, 02:34 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: LHBH
Default Boatman to World?

I currently throw a TP boatman about 330 on a flat throw with 0 turn. What could I expect out of a TP World? is there any point in getting one?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2016, 02:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

They can be quite different. Some Boatmans are very (surprisingly) stable, and lots of Worlds are less stable than expected. I'm not surprised that your Boatman has 0 turn at 330'....some might have 0 turn at farther than that. Do you have any other drivers for distance reference...or how far do you throw your fairways? My point is some Boatman are so OS that they are cutting your distance. Like how far do you throw your Thunderbird and Saint?

I've tried some Worlds that fly like -1/3 stability out of the box, and some are closer to 0/4. Either way expect a big fade out of it if you have under 400' of golf power, but not a fade out of the hand like the HSS =1 label says...that is not accurate at all.

If you are more in the 350-375' range of golf power there are other discs that I think would work better...the World isn't crazy OS, but it is very very fast so it may act more stable than expected if you can't quite push it to its high speed. But the advantage it has with its speed, is it does cut through wind extremely well (unless you have a World with some turn and you have the arm to push it too hard in the wind).
Old 08-16-2016, 03:03 PM
Par Member

Interesting, I can put my saint around the same mark but that is with more turn. My Northman is more in the 350ish range. which flies like a longer saint for me. I can get a Katana out to 400 with major turn but not consistently. I ask because I saw a used TP World at PIAS and thought that with a little wear on the disc I may be able to get it similar lines as my Boatman but further. And I hear a lot of good things about the World.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

The World can be good, but I find them very inconsistent (not as bad as Destroyers though). It's just that inconsistency with the high speed requirement makes them hard to trust how to buy them. I really like the VIP I have, it was 0/3.5 very straight but long to a huge fade for a long time. Then it got to a -1/3 after nearly a year...just enough turn that it won't work in wind, but so much fade that it won't get max D. Finally now it has mellowed out that it's nearly as long as my longest discs, but will still fade at the end. It's just that lots of ones I have tried weren't as stable as mine, so they started at that weird -1/3 type flight, but so high speed that the fade stops its max D for me. If you have a cannon for an arm then I'm sure they can be crazy long, but if you don't then the fade will kick in earlier than a max D disc...but the turn won't make it as trustworthy as a truly OS disc. Basically they can be awesome, but they can also be in a weird inbetween zone.

If you want max D that's straight-ish then maybe look at a Sword or Sorcerer. If you want golf distance then maybe a Trespass or Gstar Destroyer.

If you want to try the used World go for it, it's definitely a fun disc and you'll have use for it. But as much as I liked the one I have, after trying another half dozen of them I will move away from them in the future due to the inconsistency between them...and they're all flat (that I've seen) and difficult for me to identify characteristics before throwing them.

Last edited by slowplastic; 08-16-2016 at 03:10 PM.
Old 08-16-2016, 03:51 PM
Par Member

Thanks, a lot of good info there!
Old 08-16-2016, 05:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH

My Worlds have all been beefcakes. even the ones in the 160s. I've never considered them for distance. I bag one of my 160s as a long range firebird (straight to fade + skip.)
Old 08-16-2016, 05:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater View Post
My Worlds have all been beefcakes. even the ones in the 160s. I've never considered them for distance. I bag one of my 160s as a long range firebird (straight to fade + skip.)
Crazy. I liked the initial straight to fade mine had (definitely skipped a lot too because it carries a ton of speed to the finish)...but none of the others were like that for trustworthiness. How far can you throw straighter drivers? Any Giants I've thrown were more OS than Worlds too and I see you throw those.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:59 PM
Par Member

last questions, what about an VIP Air World? if the mold is truly OS would the weight help get better distance on a straight line?
Old 08-17-2016, 01:12 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHFH

The King may be better if you want a longer Boatman. The flatter VIP kings fly 420 with only a small amount of turn and a predictable but not super heavy fade.

Old 08-17-2016, 01:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 73

Quote:
Originally Posted by anrew18 View Post
last questions, what about an VIP Air World? if the mold is truly OS would the weight help get better distance on a straight line?
Most of the Air Worlds are beefcakes and sort of wonky actually. They don't have nearly the glide you would expect and they have a knifing dump fade that causes then to fall out of the sky. I'd pass on the Air World if I were you.

Tournament Worlds on the other hand are a dang nice disc. A low 170s Tp World should give you a longer Boatman type flight provided you can power it up. My experience with Tp Worlds has been that they are very consistent and the break-in is fairly gradual before they start to show a hint of turn. The heavy fade definitely mellows out a little with time. You can also find Tp Worlds in the mid to high 160s that are a tad more workable out of the box but less reliable in the wind. I usually carry a 166 for most shots and a 173 for wind.

VIP Worlds on the other hand have been less consistent from what I've seen. Some of them turn out of the box and others don't. I'm sure it's a plh issue but I haven't owned enough of them to really know that. I'm sticking to Tp Worlds.

Side note: I've really been digging the Prodigy D2 in this slot lately. Similar HSS as the World with a different type of more forward penetrating fade. If you ever end up going down the Prodigy wormhole, you should check out a D2.