Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
5 Future Courses in Colorado Springs, CO

The Gazette, Colorado Springs' newspaper, had disc golf on the front page today, March 9th. It has a fairly decent article along with a huge basket photo. It talked about how Cottonwood is over-crowded and HP is basically gone causing a need for more courses. The council approved the addition of 5 courses at a cost of $60,000. They now have to determine funding and use of land. They also talk about wanting to be able to host tourneys. Looks like Colorado Springs is really steping up as far as disc golf is concerned. I'm excited to hear about this and really look forward to what comes out of it.

I'll try and post pics and links when we get back tonight, unless someone beats me to it.

And on another note, CSU Pueblo is steping up as well. They've really put some time in returning the course to it's original glory, after a long period of neglect. Brand new baskets have replaced the stolen ones, all new locks, new tee pads on the holes that had none, new tee marker poles and numbers, etc.

Gotta love Colorado.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 50
here is the link to the article, I have an invite into the reporter to go throw. When I get more info I'll post as well. Some of the facts are slightly inaccurate, but it puts an overall good spin on the sport.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
You know the funny thing I remember from when I was out in CS back in July was how crowded Cottonwood was (on a weekday morning no less). Later that day, I crossed town and went to Widefield (which is a better course IMO) and probably didn't even see five players.
Old 03-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
You know the funny thing I remember from when I was out in CS back in July was how crowded Cottonwood was (on a weekday morning no less). Later that day, I crossed town and went to Widefield (which is a better course IMO) and probably didn't even see five players.
crazy how that is.. Cottonwood is a small slice of hell for me.. and you were here in July and you didn't call??? Next time you come out let me know.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hey Fishy, I still haven't forgotten that invite to show me around Jellystone. I might be out early April. Can you get a day off during the week? April 11 or 12?
Old 03-10-2012, 11:19 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 85
NOw if they can only place a course within walking distance to my house and I will be happy! I have long said a city the size of Springs should have more then the "2" that we currently have. For a population of over 400,000 that just didn't make sense.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmonty View Post
Hey Fishy, I still haven't forgotten that invite to show me around Jellystone. I might be out early April. Can you get a day off during the week? April 11 or 12?
I might be able to swing that. let me know closer to the date. I could probably play sick for a day. We are doing tourney there on the 7th of April if you can get down earlier.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:04 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
I might be able to swing that. let me know closer to the date. I could probably play sick for a day. We are doing tourney there on the 7th of April if you can get down earlier.
I've got a tourney out here at Shelton Springs, also on the 7th. I'll get back with you.
Old 03-12-2012, 05:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

justin pointed this out to me.. this is from here

Many questions come to mind

Great front page story March 9 about the apparent need for the construction of six disc golf facilities. I’m puzzled as to how we can afford these new facilities when the city’s pools can hardly be kept open and there has been a great furor over maintaining the tennis courts which have already been built.

Many questions come to mind. Will there be green fees paid for disc golf? Will we need to build five pro shops to cover the equipment needs of the discees and diskettes? Will we need additional employees to man the pro shop or act as starters for the participants? How many maintenance people will be needed to groom the fairways and see that the goals/holes are adequate?

Will we continue to water the disc golf courses the next time we decide to curtail watering the parks?

Howard Smith

Colorado Springs

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/wall...#ixzz1owMmoUmn

Old 03-12-2012, 06:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy View Post
justin pointed this out to me.. this is from here

Many questions come to mind

Great front page story March 9 about the apparent need for the construction of six disc golf facilities. Iím puzzled as to how we can afford these new facilities when the cityís pools can hardly be kept open and there has been a great furor over maintaining the tennis courts which have already been built.

Many questions come to mind. Will there be green fees paid for disc golf? Will we need to build five pro shops to cover the equipment needs of the discees and diskettes? Will we need additional employees to man the pro shop or act as starters for the participants? How many maintenance people will be needed to groom the fairways and see that the goals/holes are adequate?

Will we continue to water the disc golf courses the next time we decide to curtail watering the parks?

Howard Smith

Colorado Springs

Read more: http://www.gazette.com/articles/wall...#ixzz1owMmoUmn
Good link up there Fishy. I wonder the same as well. To spend that kind of money on the disc golf courses just doesn't seem to jive with this economy and the other fundamental problems with the city. When the city has to turn off certain street lights to save money, just doesn't seem like they would spend the money on disc golf. In reality I would like to see 2-3 new GOOD courses soon, with the option to add others as the city improves it economic situation. I am certainly for the possibilty of pay to play for a good public course. That way we would minimize the impact of the "unwanted" disc golf crowd that is sometimes spotted at other local courses.