Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHBH
Todd's 2012 Bag

Vitals:
Years playing/experience: 3 years of DG
Right/left-handed/ambidextrous: right-handed
Throwing Style: RHBH, some RHFH
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: Rhyno: 220'/250'; no mids; Striker: 290'/320'

* Max distance is the greatest distance you can throw your top 2-3 drivers with any regularity

Optional:
Sex: M
Injuries/handicaps?: Heart Condition
Other sport proficiencies?: Just Disc Golf currently

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: Looking to expand on my mids and an overstable driver, I absorbed information on this site and completely overhauled my bag for this season. I was able to get out and disc last yesterday (3/11) for the first time in over six months (9/26), I've added my thoughts of some new discs to my bag.
Specific areas of desired feedback: Working on discing down and filling some gaps
Immediate and long-term goals: My immediate goal is pick up some mids and start throwing them...my long term goals are to find a slow speed overstable driver. I'd also like to see some feedback about any overlap in my bag.

Bag:
RED - new mold to my bag

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
164 GL Striker, (used, very stable) - main driver
167 GL Striker, (backup, used, very stable)
171 GL Striker, (backup, slightly used)
167 Champ Beast, (beat) - utility disc
171 GL River, (new) - I loved this understable disc so far
171 LE Test Run River, (slightly used) - This disc was amazing.
171, ???, ??? GL Flow, slightly used, stable) - I picked up three Flows in different weights (2 unknown) to compare to my Striker, so far I don't seem to get any extra distance, but they fly well and seem less stable than my Striker
167 Champ Groove, (beat) - forehand only, situational driver

Mids:
173 Vector, (new) - I haven't thrown it much

Putters:
169 Star Rhyno, (beat, gummy, overstable) - approach shots, some putting
174 M ION, (opaque, slightly used) - main putter
173 S ION, (slightly used) - driving putter

So I have some serious gaps that need filling, but I like the overall direction I am heading. Hit me with suggestions, but I would like to stick with Latitude 64 and MVP molds. I have thrown a Chameleon Core once and then sold it. I loved how it took off that day.
Old 03-13-2012, 03:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Anybody with any suggestions on mids to try?
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 46
i went for almost a year and a half before throwing a DX roc and regret it terribly.

I'd say buy a couple dx rocs (usually 7 or 8 bucks), or you could go Z buzzz and grab an X buzzz for an understable compliment.

overstable driver, Star Starfire's are really nice if you are looking for a straight flying disc with heavy fade. if you are looking for less straight flight and just a hook, try a banshee or firebird.

i didn't mean to go all "innova" on you there, i'm not sure about the Lat64 or discraft equivelent
Old 03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Wiley View Post
Anybody with any suggestions on mids to try?
If you like the feel of the Vector, try an Axis as the understable compliment.

Quote:
I'd say buy a couple dx rocs (usually 7 or 8 bucks), or you could go Z buzzz and grab an X buzzz for an understable compliment.
Rocs will overlap with the Vector. So it really will end up being a choice of one or the other. If you're happy with the Vector, there's no need to try Rocs.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: LHBH
Your bag looks decently balanced to me. You might like to add an understable mid such as a comet like already suggested and I think a fairway driver that is shorter than the river but longer than your mid could benefit you too, though I don't have any experience with the river so I am unsure how they power down. I would guess that you aren't getting the needed arm speed for the flow yet so I would keep em in the bag but focus on your slower discs til you can push them out farther.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the suggestions folks. I will definately pick up an Axis to try out with my Vector. I also looked into the mid lineup from latitude a little and think I will pick up a Core and Fuse to test out.

I've thrown Star and Champ Starfire's before, but they are out of the bag now because I didn't see different flight characteristics from the Striker. Are there any other slow speed overstable fairway drivers I should be checking out?

On a side note, the local dg store is now purchasing a scale so they can weigh the new inventory and any used discs that get donated to the dg club. I am stoked and can't wait to weigh up all of my plastic and get correct numbers on my discs.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:16 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 7
You really can't go wrong with a Fuse... easily one of the most used discs in my bag. Once you learn it, it is your best friend.

Basically... if you go with a 3 mold midrange section... I'd say go with a Vector, Axis (for straight shots) and a Fuse (for all right turning shots). If you go with a 2 mid setup, try out just rollin' with a Vector and Fuse... you can cover more shots with those two discs than you would with an Axis and a Vector.

Of course, people will disagree with me, but I think you should give it a shot.
Old 03-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Double Eagle Member

I definately have more molds to try out and fill shot selection gaps. I will grab a Vector and Fuse for certain, most likely a Core as well. I think I will also try out a Latitude 64 XXX for my overstable fairway driver.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 72
Remember how I threw that smooth anny on Lumberjack 13 when you guided me, Todd? Worn DX Cobra. Could be good understable mid for you....

Old 03-14-2012, 12:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Ah, I've never had my hands on a cobra yet. Thanks for the input!