Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM

Courses Played: 4
Jussi Meresmaa design concepts are...'Meh'

Everyone seems to rave about Jussi Meresmaa designed courses however I have a friend who played the new Perth course and it was iffy. A couple of fun holes but mostly it was throwing down a golf fairway. I just watched SpinTV's description of the St. Jude's course and all the holes shown were just big hucking holes. Nothing really technical, some elevation which was what Jussi raved about as his big design concept. Even his description of the holes was about distance not really shaping shots, just launch it and don't put it in the sand traps.

I live in an area of the country that is wooded so I'm definitely bias. I've played DG on a golf course and it was fun to huck it but after 9 holes of hucking in the wide open it got to be the same thing over and over.

I appreciate he wants to design for the longest throwers in the world but for the average player (95% of the sport) these are not designed for you. My home course has a couple of 450' and a 550' and that is enough for me.

If you look at John Houck, he would probably say "But what shots are you shaping?" Jussi just has hyzer after hyzer shot.

Am I alone scratching my head and say "Meh, that doesn't look like a lot of fun if I had to play that as my home course, day after day."
Sponsored Links

Last edited by Understable; Yesterday at 01:56 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15
Courses Played: 179
Throwing Style: RHBH
My only guess is that Jussi is trying to design courses fit for media exposure right now. You can't get the camera equipment into a wooded course and you aren't going to wow people who aren't familiar with the flight of a disc by throwing accuracy shots - distance gets more excitement. Jussi is a promoter.
Old Yesterday, 02:00 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 48
Maybe the courses play more than just hyzer shots when you have the arm to throw them? If the course wasn't designed for your level of play, don't be surprised when it doesn't seem AS interesting when you play it. I'm not sure what you are rated.... but it is never quite as fun to play the Golds when you are a white level player.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2
Courses Played: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by goosefraba1 View Post
Maybe the courses play more than just hyzer shots when you have the arm to throw them? If the course wasn't designed for your level of play, don't be surprised when it doesn't seem AS interesting when you play it. I'm not sure what you are rated.... but it is never quite as fun to play the Golds when you are a white level player.
This. If you watched the Aussie Open, there were a lot of hyzers, but they were placement hyzers. It's a different style of disc golf than the wooded par 3's that we're used to. Watching the video, for someone of my skill level, I'm showing up with my bag and blasting drivers full force and still probably taking three or four shots to reach the pin.

If your name is Simon Lizotte, Paul McBeth, Jeremy Koling, however, you're probably only taking two shots on these par 4's, but neither will just be gimmes and you will have to watch the OB.
Old Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Those courses were designed with the upper 5% in mind on the land that he was provided. It would likely be a different story if you gave him 40 acres of wooded property on hilly terrain and told him to design a fun and challenging course for amateur players.

But I do agree with you that those courses appear to be boring / monotonous for the other 95%.
Old Yesterday, 02:20 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHFH
I feel like the majority of the major events I've watched this year are a tape loop of pros tossing hyzer-bombs. I don't think I've made it through a full tourney video yet this year. I personally get bored seeing the same shots from everyone on the card...
Old Yesterday, 02:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last DJ View Post
I feel like the majority of the major events I've watched this year are a tape loop of pros tossing hyzer-bombs. I don't think I've made it through a full tourney video yet this year. I personally get bored seeing the same shots from everyone on the card...
You may find the Steady Ed videos to be a little more interesting. Delaveaga requires a lot more shot shaping compared to the other tourneys played so far this year.
Old Yesterday, 03:31 PM

Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
My only guess is that Jussi is trying to design courses fit for media exposure right now. You can't get the camera equipment into a wooded course and you aren't going to wow people who aren't familiar with the flight of a disc by throwing accuracy shots - distance gets more excitement. Jussi is a promoter.
As a media promoter his designs make a lot of sense. Great point of view, thanks.
Old Yesterday, 04:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
You may find the Steady Ed videos to be a little more interesting. Delaveaga requires a lot more shot shaping compared to the other tourneys played so far this year.
Awesome! I haven't watched this year's coverage but I'm very excited to check it out. I heard Patrick Brown absolutely crushed the competition in his division! This course is definitely on my wish list...

Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Quote:
I think this has something to do with it. Don't get me wrong - DeLa is a sweet course and it is nice to see such a variety of discs and lines off the tee........BUT.......it really stinks on the MANY holes where you can only see the first 1/3 of the flight and then you are waiting for applause to see if was a decent shot. Excellent golf....but bad for watching on video without a $$$ multi cam setup going. You don't have that issue on more open courses.

Quote:
Those courses were designed with the upper 5% in mind on the land that he was provided. It would likely be a different story if you gave him 40 acres of wooded property on hilly terrain and told him to design a fun and challenging course for amateur players.

But I do agree with you that those courses appear to be boring / monotonous for the other 95%.
Also agree with this. My home course has some holes that play placement golf in relatively open land (with tons of wind). It is unique in that you can often get there with many different lines as there aren't a ton of tall trees that force a specific line and you throw over a lot of small trees / bushes. What matters though is how you can place that shot. It really messes up a lot of players as it looks so easy as they toss a big hyzer over everything....only to find out they miss the placement and are in jail throwing a thumber over the bush they parked it in.