Old 01-27-2015, 12:12 PM

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 15
Is the hole too dangerous or my paranoia?

I am struggling with my paranoia. The city has asked me to design our 1st disc golf course. The 1st 9 holes were completed a year ago and its been a huge success. The first 9 holes goes through an open area which allowed us to design a beginner/intermediate friendly course. Very limitted safety concerns for the 1st 9 holes.

Now the city wants me to design the 2nd nine, however my first hole on the new side scares me. The first hole on the new side is 510 feet down a 40' wide straight grassy area with heavy tree coverage on either side and a path running down one side of this open strip. Players will be hucking parallel to the path and I would expect that most drives will have to thrown down the path. The view is copletely open so you can see anyone walking on the path.

I have suggested a bench at the tee to sit and wait for pedestrians to walk past along with signage to warn not to throw when someone is in front of you. However I am worried some idiot will be impatient, try to force their throw and hit someone.

I've asked a few local golfers and they like the hole. The city thinks its okay as you can see anyone walking. However I am worried if someone gets hit it will blow-up and cause big problems for the course (posible removal?). Especially since it is the first in the city if we loose the course there is no back-up to go play.

Should I listen to everyone else or should I pull the hole and find another location which will definitely not be as nice?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2015, 12:17 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: LHBH
Pull it. Some idiot will throw while pedestrians are walking on path regardless of signage.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:21 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 194
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabrook View Post
I am struggling with my paranoia. The city has asked me to design our 1st disc golf course. The 1st 9 holes were completed a year ago and its been a huge success. The first 9 holes goes through an open area which allowed us to design a beginner/intermediate friendly course. Very limitted safety concerns for the 1st 9 holes.

Now the city wants me to design the 2nd nine, however my first hole on the new side scares me. The first hole on the new side is 510 feet down a 40' wide straight grassy area with heavy tree coverage on either side and a path running down one side of this open strip. Players will be hucking parallel to the path and I would expect that most drives will have to thrown down the path. The view is copletely open so you can see anyone walking on the path.

I have suggested a bench at the tee to sit and wait for pedestrians to walk past along with signage to warn not to throw when someone is in front of you. However I am worried some idiot will be impatient, try to force their throw and hit someone.

I've asked a few local golfers and they like the hole. The city thinks its okay as you can see anyone walking. However I am worried if someone gets hit it will blow-up and cause big problems for the course (posible removal?). Especially since it is the first in the city if we loose the course there is no back-up to go play.

Should I listen to everyone else or should I pull the hole and find another location which will definitely not be as nice?
Difficult to get an accurate image from description alone...any chance of a picture?

My initial (site unseen) opinion would be that it's fine.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.6
Courses Played: 115
How much is the walking path used?

My initial response would be "don't do it!" But our local course had walking paths installed years after the course---with no consideration or even input from the disc golfers. If you looked at it, you'd say it's crazy dangerous. In fact, the walking paths are a bit of government folly, and almost never used. It's now been about 5 years and I haven't heard of anyone being hit yet.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:27 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
any chance of a picture?
^ This.

I'm glad the OP is giving consideration to this. Holes we designed and got away with 20 years ago, some of which have grown into being dangerous, we really shouldn't be getting away with anymore, considering we now know what can happen.

The amount of traffic that path gets is going to be a major factor.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.7
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHFH
yeah, it really depends on how much the path is used. there is a course here with a path that goes across quite a few fairways, but it is hardly used, so there hasn't been an issue that i've ever heard of.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:34 PM

Years Playing: 19.5
Courses Played: 15
Old 01-27-2015, 12:38 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
That's a pretty clear sight line. I'd say put a sign up at the tee pad, and maybe put a sign up on both ends of the hole on the path, letting users of the path know there's a disc golf hole there, and high speed frisbees may be flying around.
Old 01-27-2015, 12:40 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.9
Courses Played: 595
Looks like you're going to have to cut some holes through the woods anyway. I would look at designing maybe a few holes that diagonally cut across the walkway where the tees are close to the walkway so very little of the walkway is exposed. I would also go up rather than down in that area which minimizes the possibility of a downward shank that traverses the path.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 33.7
Courses Played: 77
To avoid potential disaster, I would move the fairway inside the woodsl to the left and still put up the signage.