Old 03-21-2017, 10:09 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Default "Spot" Drop Zone

I am working on a course redesign and have a couple of holes with small ponds that will likely be used to guard a "green." Both holes are in woods. One will be a 270-290' par 3 over flat ground with the basket on the tee side of the small pond. On both holes I am toying with the idea of a drop zone from which to putt if the approach/tee throw ends up in the water. On the hole that has the water near and behind the basket, I was toying with the following basic layout.

My thought was that I don't want the comeback to be an almost drop-in 3 if the disc goes OB near the basket. Like any drop-zone, this will resolve the issue of where to throw from if the disc goes OB, but will make it a dangerous putt with the opportunity to layup. The basket would likely be about 10-12 feet from the water with the drop zone spot being just outside the putting circle as shown. It would be marked with a disc sized concrete paver, painted red and placed flush with the ground.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2017, 10:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH

I like the general concept a lot. Only thing I might tweak is the drop zone distance from the basket...maybe 40-45 feet rather than right at the circle's edge. It comes down to what skill level that the course is designed for and how easy/hard you want saving the 3 from an OB drive to be. I think a 40-45 footer throwing at the water is a thinker that maybe puts more of a premium on not being over aggressive and hitting the water since the 3 is no sure thing. Whereas putting from 10m might lend itself to players going for the gusto knowing they'll likely save the 3 even if they get wet.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 121
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

I agree that the drop should be further away.

You want to reward a player for successfully getting across the water off the tee, which the current drop zone doesn't.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 1253

I like it
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: LHBH

I believe he said the tee is on the same side of the pond as the basket, so the pond is a back-drop to the green rather than a forced carry in the fairway. So the only ones finding the pond from the tee are the ones who are overthrowing the green.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 121
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_

Ah, yeah.

My brain isn't reading things correctly, today.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:39 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
It comes down to what skill level that the course is designed for and how easy/hard you want saving the 3 from an OB drive to be.
This is a tough one. Most players in the area have less than 3 years experience and the vast majority are sub-900 rated, and that describes the most experienced ones. Overall, this will be a shorter, more-technical-than-open course because that is just the land I was dealt. Maybe a separate "Tournament" or "Advanced" spot would work. That way the weaker players can putt from 30 and the better ones can be required, during tournaments, to putt from 40-45'. Ultimately I'm going to have to play around with various distances of the basket from the water and drop zone from the basket when I get a chance to get a portable basket out there. I definitely want there to be a pucker factor when putting from the drop zone.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:56 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 52

I think circles edge is good. Especially if the course is known for being windy or if there is any slope down to the water.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 93

If I were doing it I would keep the drop at circle's edge (or even a little within-most players in the general populace don't make 30 footers with any degree of regularity) for daily play. If you need something else for a tournament then you can change it then.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.8
Courses Played: 102

I like it..

One thing to consider though, could one throw a terrible shot, for example 100 ft. to the right that ends up in the water OB. Then, they end up with a shorter putt than they would have had if the took it from where it went out.

Maybe the way the hole is laid out makes this a moot point?