Old 08-28-2014, 08:43 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
monetary design question

I didn't know how else to title the thread. I am in southern WV and in the process of wrapping up an 18 hole course in a county park. I approached the park of the idea and they turned around and asked me to do all the work, from design to installation. I had no experience but did it anyway and rather proud of the finished product. I took 4 months for design and 6 months for clearing and installation. I did it all myself and all for free.

Being really the first course in the area it is starting to get some serious play. I was approached in the last week by both a local private college and a neighboring city park about designing and installing them a course which I gladly accepted.

Now for my question... Although I love the sport and want the sport to grow in the area I really don't want to do another freebie that will take the better part of a year to complete. I let both college and park know that I would want some kind of payment for services and both are completely fine and understanding. Problem is with me not being a professional designer I have no idea what to quote for these projects. I know how to work out a budget for the baskets, signs, and other materials. But I don't know what to charge for the design and work done. Also do I need a business license? I'm sure a college is not paying me just a check, or would they?

The college course will more than likely be a 9 holer with 3 holes cut into the woods and 6 holes in the open campus area.

The park will be at least 18 holes with mix of open and wooded, mostly wooded.

Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited by greg_b_4; 08-28-2014 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:49 PM
<------ your ad here

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 192
Congrats on your first course. You must've done something right if people are asking (and willing to pay) for more.

Quote:
Also do I need a business license?
This is actually a really good question. I don't pretend to know the answer.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM
Par Member

link to my first course, its complete other than permanent tee signs and blue tees.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=6974
Old 08-28-2014, 08:53 PM
<------ your ad here

Sounds like you've got a grip on materials and working out what to charge for that.

Quote:
Although I love the sport and want the sport to grow in the area I really don't want to do another freebie that will take the better part of a year to complete. I let both college and park know that I would want some kind of payment for services and both are completely fine and understanding. Problem is with me not being a professional designer I have no idea what to quote for these projects.
Could you design the courses and then have the park and/or college's maintenance crews do the bulk of the install work (under supervision)? That would mean a flat fee for design, while saving you the work and saving the park and college money.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:56 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
Sounds like you've got a grip on materials and working out what to charge for that.

Could you design the courses and then have the park and/or college's maintenance crews do the bulk of the install work (under supervision)? That would mean a flat fee for design, while saving you the work and saving the park and college money.
They could probably handle the basket installation with me staking the locations and flagging the tees. As for cutting out fairways in the woods I'm not sure i would trust them to do what I wanted.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:58 PM
Par Member

And I don't want to charge an arm and a leg, just something to make the wife not leave me after spending a year on another course lol. I'm thinking the college course charging 500 for the design and install (not counting supplies and materials). Is that way cheap or too much? I dont even know.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:05 PM
<------ your ad here

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_b_4 View Post
They could probably handle the basket installation with me staking the locations and flagging the tees. As for cutting out fairways in the woods I'm not sure i would trust them to do what I wanted.
There are effective ways of marking stuff to come out. Spray paint, tape, notching trunks. You'd have to supervise but you could come and mark the bulk of it prior to the crews showing up.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:16 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukeshoe View Post
There are effective ways of marking stuff to come out. Spray paint, tape, notching trunks. You'd have to supervise but you could come and mark the bulk of it prior to the crews showing up.
Yeah I thought of that but these are totally untouched woods, would be a crap ton of surveying tape. And I don't like paint on trees.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:22 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
May I suggest joining the Disc Golf Course Designers group where you can get answers to this and many more issues pertaining to professional design. PM me with your email address and I'll send member info.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:24 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
May I suggest joining the Disc Golf Course Designers group where you can get answers to this and many more issues pertaining to professional design. PM me with your email address and I'll send member info.
PM sent