Old 01-11-2017, 03:13 PM

Default Available to help layout a course?

So, our local course is pretty bad. Its the only one within a half an hour and its on a beautiful park and location. But, the layout and thought behind it is lackluster and could use some improvement. If you look up the course reviews here on DGCourseReview for Bourbonnais IL you can see some constructive but critical/True reviews.

I was already working on a proposal to the park district for some Tee Pads, and I figured I would get a coarse redesign proposal in at the same time! One using all of the current basket placements and one with a whole new design. I was hoping someone who has some experience in design would be willing to provide some consulting!
Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2017, 04:01 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 1
Throwing Style: RHBH

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3427 in case anyone else wants to find it

I don't exactly know what to say or start. I live in California so i dont know what land the park has as the course map is terrible at best.

What do you think you could do to make it more enjoyable? Is there trees that you could utilize? Is there a loval club that could help make improvements?

Things you could do is add posts for mandatorys, island greens and elevated baskets!

What would you go to the parks with? What do you think can be done?

The sad fact is this peice of land just does not look that good.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:28 PM

Photos and the map are not that helpful. But yes, after work I am going to work on making a new map to work with. The area on hole 1 is never used by foot traffic, so I see no arguments against putting trees here.

There is already a hill just after the tee and it downslopes slightly after that all the way down to the river. that next area with holes 2-4 is pretty flat, no trees whatsoever, and boring, but the rest of the coarse has plenty of trees and elevations that can be taken advantage of!

Our smaller local group who plays weekly have about 2 other much more entertaining 18 hole variants, one variant hole I feel is nice enough for a "Signature hole"... And that's keeping the current basket placements. I want to bring another coarse redesign with new basket placements.

I could easily talk over the coarse in detail to anyone willing to help.
Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH

just cuz I enjoy dreaming about new holes & have spare time, I looked it up on maps & made a course that looks like it would be semi-interesting. without being there & walking the land it is really hard to design a course. it sounds like there are too many people using the walking paths to make a good course here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg riverfrontMarked.jpg (145.5 KB, 40 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 04:56 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHFH

also here is the current map for those interested
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCrow View Post
Photos and the map are not that helpful. But yes, after work I am going to work on making a new map to work with. The area on hole 1 is never used by foot traffic, so I see no arguments against putting trees here.

There is already a hill just after the tee and it downslopes slightly after that all the way down to the river. that next area with holes 2-4 is pretty flat, no trees whatsoever, and boring, but the rest of the coarse has plenty of trees and elevations that can be taken advantage of!

Our smaller local group who plays weekly have about 2 other much more entertaining 18 hole variants, one variant hole I feel is nice enough for a "Signature hole"... And that's keeping the current basket placements. I want to bring another coarse redesign with new basket placements.

I could easily talk over the coarse in detail to anyone willing to help.

Well do your redesign maybe use 2 google earth print outs of the park showing the old design VS you new design to the parks department. But the extra space that you may want to use.. if your going to use extra space... may not be something that the parks department will give you to use.

And back to the club aspect.... is there a club that will stand behind you when you make the proposal to the park district?
Old 01-11-2017, 05:13 PM

Chevis! The area where you have 6,8, and 9 are the highest part in the park. especially 8 and 9 there is a huge hill going down south. We already play #s 3 and 9 in our group.

Here is what I made using the current baskets... #4 over the ravines and a huge downhill shot is especially fun. And I feel some trees are needed to use some of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current Baskets.jpg (150.4 KB, 27 views)
Old 01-11-2017, 05:17 PM

Loki, yes! I pretty much had the tee pad proposal ready and the group put in some good input.

Chevis, yes the big downside is there are a lot of walkers in the park. and very bad bench placements...
Old 01-11-2017, 05:23 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 27.9
Courses Played: 638

Consider selected bench relocation as part of your plans if Park Dept finds the relocations acceptable.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:27 PM

Great idea Cgkdisc!

Here is another idea of how it looks currently.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Current placements.jpg (152.2 KB, 34 views)