Old 06-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: LHBH
Scoring impact of natural tees?

Ok, I'm really, really hoping that someone will be able to answer this one.. but can anyone take an educated guess as to, on average, the impact on average score of natural (close-cut grass) vs cement tee pads? i.e. with the better footing of a real (leveled) tee pad, about how much better can I generally expect players to perform? If it helps, my target group is blue-level players. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2015, 07:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 28
Close cut grass I'd say 1-3 strokes but a lot depends on hole length and foilage. All my blue tees are natural, woodchips or carpet remnants. Most of my blues are moderatly wooded in the 325-450' range
Old 06-30-2015, 08:13 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHBH
Honestly there should be zero difference IMO. What about all of the other shots on the course where terrain is tricky to get good footing even in the fairway? To me its just a mind game tho, I learned to play on natural teepads. Actually, depending on where you play concrete tees can be dangerous or way too short...but depends on the course
Old 06-30-2015, 09:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 79
if the natural tees are reasonably flat i would say no difference.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:48 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 100
For me its a few strokes. I dont trust rubber/natural/carpet tees so I have to change up my form to throw off of them. I use pretty much all arms instead of a lot of legs, so I do tend to shoot a few strokes worse off of those kinds of tees.
Old 06-30-2015, 09:53 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 59
Send a message via AIM to billtvshow
When my local course switched from natural to concrete, I probably saw a 2-3 shot per round improvement. The problem is, I was improving ever so slightly as the time, so it's hard to tell how much that factored in as well.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:36 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 19
Courses Played: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeverett View Post
Ok, I'm really, really hoping that someone will be able to answer this one.. but can anyone take an educated guess as to, on average, the impact on average score of natural (close-cut grass) vs cement tee pads? i.e. with the better footing of a real (leveled) tee pad, about how much better can I generally expect players to perform? If it helps, my target group is blue-level players. Thanks!
Once upon a time, at the turn of the century, McNaughton park in Pekin, IL had natural tees. The natural dirt tees certainly added to the challenge of playing as they were not level and often deeply rutted and muddy. Concrete tees definitely made that course funner and easier to play as now all you have to worry about is your shot and not whether you will trip or slip on the run up.
Old 06-30-2015, 10:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHFH
IMO it depends on weather. In good weather I don't think there would be much if any difference. Close cut grass is fine but a slight rain can make it slick cutting distance off the tee and possibly leaving some longer Putts/approaches. Also more likely to slip and have an errant throw. Harder rain can turn grass to mud by the end of a round and have an even greater effect.
Old 06-30-2015, 11:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 122
Natural tees, with any significant volume of play, tend to become uneven, sometimes remarkably so. Grass tees,with rain or even dew, can be slick.

Then again, I've played some concrete tees that were too short, too high off the ground (especially in back), or worn or painted to the point that they were slick when wet, too.

Natural tees, in good condition and dry, probably have minimal effect on scoring compared to good concrete tees.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:36 AM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
Natural tees, with any significant volume of play, tend to become uneven, sometimes remarkably so. Grass tees,with rain or even dew, can be slick.

Then again, I've played some concrete tees that were too short, too high off the ground (especially in back), or worn or painted to the point that they were slick when wet, too.

Natural tees, in good condition and dry, probably have minimal effect on scoring compared to good concrete tees.

Sounds right to me. A bad tee is just a bad tee regardless of what it is made of. Poor throwing conditions are a variable which impacts all tee types.