Old 03-26-2012, 06:30 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
A nice cool windy day to start,kept me from sweating too bad and would have made discing unpleasant. I got 4.75 hours in and essentially finished hole one for now, and cleared a path to and for hole two. I was beat by the end and didn't remember good before and after photos but have a few.

Problably 1.5 hours of that time was saw work, and the rest piling logs. The good news is that this is one of the few spots with this many blow down. The bad news is many of the other areas are filled with saplings with an over story (which will be nice with saplings gone) The saplings are easy saw work but will make a lot of work to drag and pile. That is looking to be well more than half of the work I have ahead of me.

What the entire fairway of hole one looked like.

Generally the condition now. Some spots are cleaner.

The design issue was bugging me for most of the day while I worked but after looking around again I think I figured out a way to allow for an initial nine without chipping into area for other holes , an additional loop of 3 which would come after hole one.

Much better photos to come tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2012, 11:16 AM
Double Eagle Member

The owner, one's basket, and a giant pile of brush in the background.

Haven't quite figured out the singular pad but down in this direction. Don't like the RH Hyzer line over near the car in this pic. Too easy and brush underneath I'm not ready to clear. Will either restrict with pad or a Mando. The left to right route is fun, and pretty fair. Basket is a bit further up hill now too.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:31 AM
Double Eagle Member

Here is what will be the first layout, a "quick nine" maximizing use of the existing road in order to get playing as quick as possible.

Remaining for work before I have a playable nine.

#2 Carve the entire fairway from saplings. 15-20' x 200' drag and pile
#4 Carve a putting area . Light saw work 60-70' diameter
#5 Some fairway and a putting area. 15-30' x 100'
#6 Entire fairway some felling and saplings , long hole with some existing clearings
# 7 Fell a few trees and clear a putting area

Overall looking good for my golfing addiction, within say a few weeks.
The weather and my knee have been somewhat difficult this week so this plan has been the bulk of my accomplishment. I'm hoping to really log hours next week.

Last edited by timg; 04-05-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:14 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

For Menacewarf, I'm not sure how much of our experience is instructive. I will point out that wooded holes are harder to build, but much easier to maintain, than open holes. Keep the chainsaw handy; it's surprising how many trees or parts of trees fall, usually in bad locations.
Lucky, or unlucky for me, all of the holes are pretty much wooded. Right now it feels like a lot of work to cut fairways, clear fairways, and clear the surrounding areas. Not too bad but I have the curse of an eye that looks at the big picture. Maybe 8-10 hours on the hole from scratch to get playable, and half that on holes with fairways.

Quote:

If you open it to the public you have to deal with the consequences. 98% of visitors are great, but the other 2%.....

For us it gives double use of the property. The fairways are also walking trails/ATV trails/hunting areas that we'd never clear just for those purposes.
Not sure about the public. Don't want to rule it out or count on it.

Love the dual purpose work idea and that is a main motivating factor for me.

If you have vines in your woods, you'll be amazed how much you come to despite them.

Quote:

Budget for supplies (string for weedeaters, etc.), fuel (mowing?), repairs and replacement of both power equipment and manual tools.

In our case, because we bought land suitable for a very good disc golf course, it's allowed us to meet lots of lots of wonderful people, both at tournaments we host and among the society of traveling disc golfers. I'm in South Carolina and I've had at least a half-dozen guests from Wisconsin and Minnesota, and had tournament players here from Connecticut and Alaska. It's been a great pleasure.
Nice to hear how good it still feels. Motivation.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

8 hours later on the second hole.

Here is the fairway of the second hole after the first pass or so from near the middle.

Here is where it is now. playable but I think I need to open up both ace lines by one more tree.

The idea is a tighter route straight at the basket, and a broader route which curves around in a RHBH anhyzer, still ace-able.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

About to go play!

After four straight days of hard hard work I have nine fairways and walkouts cut, cleared, and almost stump removed.

I feel relieved to get to take a break from the chainsaw. I sharpened my two chains seven or eight times this week, though much of this was because of stump removal. Regardless my hands and arms are worked. went through maybe 10 tanks of gas. No more saw work for at least a week for me!

Thoughts: I hate poplar seedlings!

Cutting bailouts for brush piling first saves time.

Anything up to 20 or 30 feet tall I was just suicide cutting waste high and going back for the stump.

Great time of the year for hard labor. No bugs, cool temps, and luckily this week, no rain.

As I suspected being flexible with the layout as I went was important to keep the course ballenced while working with the landscape.

Having my girlfriend to play the finished holes each evening kept me sane, without her, I wouldn't have had the energy after cutting and piling all day!

Well I'm off to play. Hope I can shoot under the par 29 for this layout first time through!

Pics to come...

Last edited by Menacewarf; 04-05-2012 at 01:33 PM.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Opening Day

Shot a 4+. . About to play it again. I think it will have some teeth until I get the fairways edges a bit cleaner.

The basket for the northern most hole, a harsh dogleg par 4 which requires a accurate approach for a chance to bird.

The inaugural layout.

Old 04-05-2012, 05:43 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 30.3
Courses Played: 28
Great work! Would love to see the distances on all the holes. Any alternate basket positions to change it up every once in awhile?

Tim S.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:58 PM
Double Eagle Member

Post Video of Course

I put together a video so everyone can get an actual view of the holes.

It has estimated distances and net vertical estimates for the holes.
Also follow the sound instructions if you listen to the music because the photos have louder music due to stupid I Movie so the first 15 and last 30 seconds could blast out you speakers if you have turned up the volume.

Link

I definitely plan to be moving baskets around and adding holes and layouts. I want to do 10-20 hours of widening the cleared areas to outside of the fairways to improve the playability. Also stick removal and continued sapling and sapling stump removal. Likely get to this stuff this week.

Thanks if you check it out and/ or for any feedback!

Old 04-13-2012, 08:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

I spent about 4 hours two days ago on #6, what I call now "Trail Down". It was definitely playing as the most difficult hole and likely still is. If anyone watched the video I threw what looked like a good shot but went too deep, had to go back to hit the fairway, missed it and spent two more shots getting out on my way to a double. My fault on the course but I feel more strongly about the hole now with a much bigger landing area.

The area with the red lines is the now broadened landing area.

This is what it looked like. Tons of annoying saplings between some nice sized trees.

Here is the biggest pile from this day. Notice the flagging. I flagged the to be cleared area permiter first, making sure to make it bigger then my first instinct. Then I cut this bailout for brush outside of this, and tucked it behind some trees and a rock wall. Then I started at the pile and worked out towards the fairway. In this case most of the trees were about 20' tall so I left them whole and stacked them all in the same direction to make it easy to cut them up later for firewood.

Here is the expanded landing area with the new lines through showing up as anything left of the car.