Old 05-16-2012, 06:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: RHBH
It's been a while since I posted on this thread. *I'm happy to say I played my first two rounds on my very own 18 hole layout earlier today. * It turns out all of the expectation I had built into this moment was warranted. * It really is a glorious moment when after having carved eighteen fairways from the forest, you get to strip the gloves, drop whatever tool is in your hand, and grab for your golf bag.*

The course played very fair for my skill level ( rated at 930 but I'm convinced in my own head I would rate 950 if I played more rated rounds). *The current layout has four par 4's and one par 5 all of which played appropriately for me. *Hit the landing areas, make another shot and your looking at bird. *The par 5 is in reality just a par 4 which I haven't carved out enough yet but inadvertently is a pretty cool hole. * It is a tunnel between 15 and 8 feet wide which twists up a hill about 375 feet before a final sharp dogleg out into a open field. *To me it's a great par 5 because two amazing shots and a strong putt could get an eagle, while only one great shot and a few good ones get you a bird. *It might eat players up in a tourney because of the narrowness but with no pressure today I carded a 5 and a 4. *

One of the great surprises is how much the three stream side holes are characterized by the constantly churning babble and flash of the stream. * It almost entirely takes the sting out of the steep little walkout which lifts you out of the ravine those three holes sit in. *

It is very rewarding to have a course to play. *Still though, I have projects *on almost every hole which will continue to improve things. * I have a name I really like which will probably work. * The biggest weakness right now is tee pads. *I do have some plywood, some two by fours, and unlimited small diameter timber, which I am considering using as the long pieces of frames for framed, carpeted tee boxes. *I have heard I can get old carpet for free If I look around. * Any input on non cement tee boxes on relatively uneven ground?

I shot a +1 and a 0 , and while missing many many birdies, was not overly concerned about my score. I have many more tries to shoot a -10. * And it's only getting better :-D*
Old 05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Double Eagle Member

----
Old 05-16-2012, 07:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
We've seen the "before" pictures....when do we get the "after" ones?

Congratulations on completing* the course. Obviously a ton of work, and a ton of justifiable pride

* - Well, not complete, private courses are never complete, but congrats on reaching the 18-hole benchmark.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: LHBH
yes, nice work and congratulations!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:47 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
We've seen the "before" pictures....when do we get the "after" ones?
^This for sure.

I want to one day design my own private course, I love hearing from course owners about the process of designing and building their layouts.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Thanks for the interest all. I am definately set to take a good set of photos or videos for sharing in the next week. I have been working hard on the current layout (about a par 60) yet I already have eyes on a new layout which is potentially a par 69 and might approach many of my own design ideals. So it is hard to take too much ownership of this layout when I am already coveting another but that layout is at least a few weeks out and I really should take ownership of this one.

The best way to characterize this layout is as an accuracy layout. Of course with the land I am working with it is all going to be accuracy based but this layout is truely one where a tuned in top pro could go 15- but on a bad day an advanced player could easily shoot well over par. In other words almost ever fairway is tight, easily a bogie with a bad drive, but also easily a bird to a great player.

I discovered a disc golf beauty today which I must relate. Two holes, both a bit awkward, not bad but not perfect, and as I contemplated, as I paced around puffing my E - Ciggerette I noticed an Island in the creek, almost a prefect small disc golf green, and the solution was quickly at hand. It will take a good day or two of work but the two holes will combine into an epic par 4 with a babbling brook island green to make you say "risk or reward?".

That is my excitement for the day. Pics or a vid coming soon! Thanks guys!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:18 PM
* Ace Member *

You see. You see! Just what I said! No private course is ever "completed"!
Old 05-17-2012, 09:22 PM
* Ace Member *

More seriously....you hacked out an 18-hole course on a wooded property, by yourself, in 2 months? That's an amazing accomplishment. By the authority vested in me, I hereby declare that you should take 2 weeks off and just play.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Yup! It truely is tough to ballence the work with the fun but I assume that becomes the thing. I've already felt it. That doing this kinda thing turns your idea of work around where it actually becomes fun. I dunno... Sounds crazy when I re read it! :-)

Old 05-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Double Eagle Member

Video of current layout

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNpsR1255zM