Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 127
Throwing Style: RHBH
How can I get 30 more feet?

I took my first video of myself back in January and noticed that I didn't really do an X step. I just pretty much brought my back foot even with the front. I was hoping that it was just due to playing in the snow, but I am not sure I have changed that playing in better conditions.

I have taken videos a couple of other times now and have posted them all below. I can generally throw around 375' and max out around 400', but would really love to get another 30-50' in order to park some holes that seem to be just out of range. So... any advice would be great.

Apologies on the cell phone vids. I really gotta remember to bring my camera out for videos.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:21 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 127
I also slowed all the videos down to 1/4 speed if anyone wanted to see them slower. Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
it looks like your pivoting on your toe instead of your heel..idk if thatll get you your extra 30-50 ft. But thats all i see. im no expert tho.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 106
You may have to take a few steps back first and make some fundamental throwing concept changes. Your backswing is all arm collapsing against the chest(no hip/shoulder turn), so you can't pull through in a straight line and get elbow chop/wrist extension. I can tell you are trying to spin the disc from where your hand grips instead of trying to throw it like a hammer or stick. It's basically strong arming. You need to get more backwards/closed like a golf backswing and learn to throw the disc more like a hammer. There's a multitude of vids and threads in the sticky and analysis threads here and DGR that will help.

Old 03-19-2012, 02:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 17
Sidewinder is right, your pull through is not a straight line. Work without the disc concentrating on making your feet set up your hips to do a running lawn mower pull. Reach back a little farther and a bit lower. Getting that straight line tug by getting better core rotation will add 30 feet to your drive in no time. This is an excellent two camera slo mo of Avery Jenkins unloading one. Watch his footwork, 180 degree hip rotation and straight pull through. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs
Old 03-19-2012, 04:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 16
Another way to make the same point: if you can turn your shoulders and hips farther away from your target on reachback, and let the pull flow up from your lower body and hips through your shoulder, then elbow, then wrist, you won't have to use so much arm. It might not get your max drives past 400', but it's likely to, and it will probably help with your control and reduce wear and tear on your body. Imagine swinging a golf club or hitting a baseball with mostly arms, versus getting your whole body into the swing.

Another thing you can try is the new Innova Blizzard discs in the 150g weight range.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:32 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
At least regarding the Blizzard Destroyer, not getting more distance after testing a 150g than my AJ 170g Star Destroyer. The Blizzard is at least one step more stable and landing maybe 25 feet shorter on average in similar conditions.
Old 03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
At least regarding the Blizzard Destroyer, not getting more distance after testing a 150g than my AJ 170g Star Destroyer. The Blizzard is at least one step more stable and landing maybe 25 feet shorter on average in similar conditions.
Are you using one of the super-domey blizzard destroyers or one that looks like it's molded normally? Several of us, including me, have seen some of the blizzard destroyers (that mold specifically) turn out with a huge, fat, oddly shaped dome. But I bought a Boss instead, so I can't speak to how it may differ.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:04 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.4
easiest way to get 30 more ft is to just tee off 30' ahead of the tee box..

but serious...there has to be something on this webpage somewhere that talks about coiling and "uncoiling" i am going to make up that term incase it has not been said yet...i have seen quite a few people doing this lately...it will automatically put your weight backwards, so you will be fighting that....dont coil up before you throw...keep your shoulders parrallel to the tee box until you start your reach back, and keep your eye on the target long as possible.

Last edited by kachtz; 03-19-2012 at 07:08 PM.

Old 03-19-2012, 07:26 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.5
Courses Played: 586
The Blizzard Destroyer didn't seem more domey but I'll have to look closer. I got a Blizzard Wraith to check out also but didn't throw it yet. They were both tourney CFR discs and not necessarily from a regular production run.