Disc Golf Store
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
One thing I noticed right off was that you never take your eyes away from the target. This seems good at first, but it is actually limiting your reach back and is causing you to use your arm to turn your hips instead of the other way around. AKA strong-arming. Looking away from your target allows you to turn your hips more and, if you use your hips correctly, get more arm speed and snap. Like a slingshot, really. Avery looks away, it doesn't have to be much, but it really helps. Essentially, your head is getting in the way of your arm.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 122
Thanks for all of the comments. It is funny how you can watch yourself and think everything is going perfect, but someone else catches something right away. I will get out tomorrow and try to pull through a straight line. It seems like everyone is saying something similar and the videos Sidewinder posted make sense, so I will try to incorporate those.

I have always been hit or miss from a standstill, so I think trying those drills from the standstill should help my form overall. I will post some updates in the future. Thanks again to all.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:53 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 78
One thing you may try-- in order to over-emphasize the body rotation-- is to start with your back toward your goal, and right arm out chest high. Take a direct step backward with your left foot, and then rotate through and throw.

I've found this helps people become comfortable with looking away from the target and getting their power from hips rather than arm.

Then incorporate what you learned into your normal x-step approach and you may find distance easier to come by.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Eagle Member

In the past 2 months, I thought that I was working on this, but when I took new video and compared it to the old, I found I was doing the exact same thing. So, last week I decided to try something completely new and hopefully it is more on the right path.

From the comments here and in other threads, I have tried to not collapse my arm against my chest in my reach back by holding the disc out. I look back at my disc on the reach back to take my eyes off the target and get some more rotation and I pivot on my heel. Hopefully I am on the right track.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

I don't seem to have lost any distance with throwing it this way, but I haven't gained any either. From looking at the vids, I think I may be throwing it a little too nose up. Hopefully this will work it out with more practice if this is on the right path.

Two problems I have had though, is that every once in a while, when my plant foot hits the ground on the heel, something in the back of my knee pops. It hurts, but it is nothing to cripple me. Perhaps I need to land on my ball first and rotate to the heel? Second, is that I now have a very sore upper/middle back. What am I doing wrong to get this?

Thanks again for taking the time to look at the vids and giving any criticism
Old 05-28-2012, 12:08 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
Need to use your weight, core, and feet properly. High reach back and scooping pull line is air bouncing it nose up. Reachback lower, get more over the disc with your head/chest and pull through with the core like a lawn mower. Your back is sore because you are strong arming it, and your knee issue is most likely from not shifting your weight from behind you. Check out those vids above again for proper weight shift and the closed shoulder drill.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:09 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Need to use your weight, core, and feet properly. High reach back and scooping pull line is air bouncing it nose up. Reachback lower, get more over the disc with your head/chest and pull through with the core like a lawn mower. Your back is sore because you are strong arming it, and your knee issue is most likely from not shifting your weight from behind you. Check out those vids above again for proper weight shift and the closed shoulder drill.
Uhg. You're right. When I throw from the standstill, I still spin around instead of snapping it like Brad says not to do. I'll hit up the field again today and see if I can't fix that. Thanks again for taking the time to look.
Old 05-28-2012, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: LHBH
throw it harder
Old 05-28-2012, 09:24 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by medicinalfunk View Post
throw it harder

You know, I really hate your avatar, because every time I see it, I am reminded of work.

What is it for?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 16
Be careful with that knee, man. You may have a structural problem in your knee as much as a form problem. Have you ever had any knee trouble in the past?

Old 05-28-2012, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Be careful with that knee, man. You may have a structural problem in your knee as much as a form problem. Have you ever had any knee trouble in the past?
Nope. No trouble in the past. I wonder if I might be coming down too hard on it, or trying to pivot about the heel and the heel just sticks which would torque the knee.