Old 10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHFH
???new course concept???

Just found out that my home town has just got approval for funding (still has to get city complete approval, or i would say the name) to put in its first disc golf course. It was granted 9 holes around a small lake. It was also granted some land for additonal holes later. The catch is that the additional holes will be at other parks through out the city over a few years. The final idea is to add 3 to 4 holes to each park through out the city depending on the reception of the sport. With total holes once all are completed could be in the mid 20's to 30's. They are having to do the best with the land they been given. The final idea is to have a tourney ever so often that includes multiple parks throughout the day. Its a very small town so it wouldnt be more then 1 to 2 miles drive to each park. Like me the people helping with it can see some positives and negatives. By putting holes throughout the city it give more people the oppurtunity to walk to a few holes from their houses. Thus giving exposure of the sport to more people. The downside is not having people want to come play a spread out "town course". There would be enough land to add 9 to the first 9 eventually (if successful) but it looks like the city doesnt want to "waste" the land on something that can be used for something else. The area previoulsy has been used for baseball/softball field and soccor fields. They are scared of loosing the land. They want to see if it will be popular enough thing to keep maintaining and improving. There has been talks for a while to do an 18 hole course on a different area around a 2nd lake for a while. And this was the compromise given is what it sounds like. My question is what do you think of the concept of a "town course". and what is your thoughts on how to pull off a park to park course? I am thinking they should push it as a bike and golf course. I have never played or heard of a "town course", im sure there may be on, so it may not be an entirely new concept, just not a normal one. Any ideas on how this should be promoted would be great, or how to make it a enjoyable play. I have thought about bike course to course event. Thanks for your help
Old 10-25-2012, 01:36 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 569
Throwing Style: RHBH
How about installing a mini disc golf course instead? Central Pennsylvania has been real successful with quite a few mini disc golf courses. There are sturdy mini scale baskets available for permanent installation. Search in the Course window using the word "mini" to see some examples.
Old 10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHFH
I had never heard of it. I always just thought the mini driver and putters were like markers..didnt know it was part of a real thing. I emailed the head guys links to a few of the courses to give them the idea. I dont live there anymore so i told them i would just help them with whatever they wanted to do. So we will see if they will consider that. I might suggest putting in the 9 hole still sound of the lake, and putting in an 18 mini on the other land/first park area.
Thanks
Old 10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 49
I've had a fair amount of both success and failure with getting a small town to install a dg course.

Success: I got the City Park's Dept on board to let me design and install a 9-hole coure in the biggest park in town.

More success: The course was completed and playable within a year of my initial foray into the process.

Failure: The City only budgeted $600 and minimal labor assistance, which bought 4 super-cheesy DGA baskets that I had to hot-rod the holy heck out of to be decent, and people still dislike them. I did at least 90% of the work myself, and 100% of the designing (which I now regret about half the holes and want to update).

More failure: The land which was pristinely manicured at the time of design and installation is no longer being maintained whatsoever. What once looked like golf-course type fairways now look like overgrown fields.

Even more failure: All of my friends back in the hometown who are avid golfers seem to avoid the course like it's plague. They would rather drive 30 miles in either direction to play another course that's nicely maintained.

. . . . . . .

One major problem is that I moved away from the area shortly after completing the course so I can't personally apply any pressure to get these issues rectified. At one time, the Park's dept. promised me we could install concrete tees, but now (since they won't even mow the property) I have zero confidence that there will ever be such improvements.

It's a shame b/c I felt coming from Austin to a small town, I was ahead of the curve on this DG trend which is obviously exploding everywhere. I felt my idea was offering the people of the area something that had never been achieved in that town. I knew it would take a long time for locals to come around to the idea and start coming out to the park.

Most everybody there plays football and baseball (team sports that you need a dozen people to enjoy), but the only option to play golf was the minimum 30-minute drive which was becoming costly due to increasing gas prices. I had a burning desire to alleviate this issue and basically took the situation into my own hands and made everything happen with sheer will, hard work, and sustained effort.

But now, I really have reservations about such ideas when there is not enough local support to keep the Park's dept. responsible enough to maintain and further advance such a project.

So I guess what I'm saying is that by all means, if you can get funding and the City onboard, then go for it. But you have to be willing to go above and beyond to have such a dream fulfilled. Even then, I must caution you that it is certainly possible a project/dream can crumble and die without the right support in place. I know because I have lived it.

Only time will tell if I can foster the resurrection of my old unhappy course...and I know it will take twice as much energy as it did to start the process to begin with.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 244
It's kind of hard to wrap my head around the original post. So many concepts going on...

I will say this:
I would not let the city think that installing multiple 4 hole courses at all the parks in town is a good idea. Once they finish installing them all... they won't be as likely to see the need to expand one of them to 18 holes.

For example, here in Asheville, we have a very popular course here (Richmond Hill)... We also have 1 basket in every park, which turned out to be a BIG MISTAKE.

When we asked the city if we could have another course, they said "no, you already have a course and baskets in every other park". They didn't see the need for it because we had practice baskets in every park (which never get used) and already have a really good course.

What I am trying to say is that we shot ourselves in the foot by trying to be polite and give the city baskets for every park. From their point of view, we already have a course at every park... why would we need another one?

I'd go for 9-holers at each park as the bare minimum. I'd scrap the 4-hole multiple course concept.

DSCJNKY
Old 10-25-2012, 02:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 139
Seems like a bad idea to me. You arn't going to get any traffic from outside the city. They may not understand that they can use flood plane land and that land that is no good for anything else is great for disc golf courses.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
How about installing a mini disc golf course instead? Central Pennsylvania has been real successful with quite a few mini disc golf courses. There are sturdy mini scale baskets available for permanent installation. Search in the Course window using the word "mini" to see some examples.
This seems like a bad idea as well. I would not let them think that a mini course is the same thing as a real course... which they might do if you pose that as an option.
DSCJNKY
Old 10-25-2012, 02:13 PM

Single or a handful of baskets in a location seem to be more likely stolen by disc golfers who perhaps figure it's not messing with a "real" course.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSCJNKY View Post
This seems like a bad idea as well. I would not let them think that a mini course is the same thing as a real course... which they might do if you pose that as an option.
DSCJNKY
They aren't going to get a full scale 18-hole course anytime soon. Mini disc golf is still a viable entertainment option even more suitable for kids.

Old 10-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
They aren't going to get a full scale 18-hole course anytime soon. Mini disc golf is still a viable entertainment option even more suitable for kids.
I still disagree. It's not a viable option if it eliminates the alternative of having a real course... which it might do.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one Chuck.
DSCJNKY