Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

View Poll Results: In a match play style tournament, would you play more aggressive or more safely?
Aggressive 41 49.40%
Safe 42 50.60%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2012, 03:57 PM

Courses Played: 4
With my vote of "safe" its still tied up 50/50!
I just dont have enough confidence to aim through the chains every time when it really counts.
Play it safe for Par and hope others dont and miss!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
I can't believe it is tied up after 30 votes, crazy!
Old 03-29-2012, 04:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 126
As someone who has only lost 2 matches, it all depends. It doesnt boil down to one way or another. You have to decide yourself how you are playing and where your confidence is. It also depends on the level of the player you are playing and where that person is mentally and how they are playing at the time. How the match itselfs goes makes a big difference too, because if someone gets out to an early lead, then people start pressig and making mistakes which helps the other as well, especially in short 9 hole matches.
Old 04-04-2012, 09:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

OK....I won my first match very easily, 12-3 with 7 birdies to his 1. My second match is on a very tough course (Texas Army Trail) against a player who is better than I am. Any new strategies on this one?
Old 04-04-2012, 11:37 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 32
Again, it depends. If I was playing someone better than me, I would probably play more aggressive on a longer course so that my length might make up for what I might lack in short game. Can you reach the 400-430' holes on that course? If you can, but your competitor can't, then definitely try to use that to your advantage.

Also, what do you mean you won 12-3? The match play scoring I am familiar with is what is used in ball golf.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongoff09 View Post
Again, it depends. If I was playing someone better than me, I would probably play more aggressive on a longer course so that my length might make up for what I might lack in short game. Can you reach the 400-430' holes on that course? If you can, but your competitor can't, then definitely try to use that to your advantage.

Also, what do you mean you won 12-3? The match play scoring I am familiar with is what is used in ball golf.
He can throw farther than I can for sure, and on the "12-3" we were playing with another group in the match play tournament and in a mini at the same time (2 seperate score cards) and they went all the way to the last hole for their match play so we kept scoring it even though it was already over. I really had him way before that.
Old 04-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 32
Gotcha. Sounds like you better be aggressive on the ones that you can reach, and make sure you get your 3s on the longer ones. That will put pressure on him to try to deuce the longer holes and maybe make a mistake doing it.
Old 10-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Wizard of Plastic Land

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 37
THREAD REVIVAL!

Go search function (use the google search - it actually works)! Anywho, I'm playing in a match tourney and have found that strategy depends largely on the score. On the first hole, if you go first go aggressive to try and put pressure on the opponent right away. If you're second, go aggressive if your opponent shoots well/decent, or play it safe if he/she flubs it bad. Once you get a lead, play it safe and just try to tie as much as possible and take the wins as they come. If you get behind, play smart. On holes you're confident on, go for it hard to catch up. On ones you're not so good at, play a little more conservatively so as to not dig yourself a deeper hole. Obviously if your opponent flubs, jump all over that sh!t. I used this strategy in my first match and won by hole 15. Hopefully it'll stand up to the next 4 (hopefully) matches as well!
Old 10-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 58
Search FTW!

Old 10-03-2012, 01:51 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
If I'm going first, I play the percentages and just stick with my normal game unless I'm up big or down big. If I'm going second and the other player has a good shot, I'll go aggressive. If they shank it into the rough I'll play a safe shot to guarantee an easy par.