this part of your vid shows it well.

http://youtu.be/Q_OtvAITNCM?t=4m36s
Old 04-05-2012, 11:01 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Skype™ to Notrepidation
Yes J, that is something I have actually been working on. The videos are from basically day one for me in this amazing sport. I had noticed the fact that I was (and still do on occasion) hold the disk angled up for an anni. I even noticed that I am not always pulling through on straight axis. I did not realize that I was doing those two in conjunction....from a mere beginners perspective I assume this is what is creating the wobble on release? (or at least one of the reasons). I also noticed I am leaning over (bending at the waist) an awful lot. Wondering of standing up straighter during Xstep would help keep the disk level and my arm closer and straighter as I pull across my chest? I think what is happening is I am trying to hep the disk (hyzer or ani) instead of making the correct shot selection ....IE disk choice? (Buzz/Sidewinder if I want to turn it over a bit or Groove/Sirius if I want to let it hyzer in?).
Old 04-05-2012, 11:07 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 56
It would be interesting to see a another camera angle, but it doesn't look like the disc is 'ripping' from your hand. You should be pulling the disc straight through the target, tightening your grip at the apex and forcing the disc to rip from your hand. I don't think you are getting your weight all the way through your throw. The result is an early, spinny release instead of rip where the apex of the throw is out in front of the body.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:51 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.5
There are a couple of big boys in disc golf but most notable is the 2009 World Champ Avery Jenkins:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkobDWkv60

Here's a great short vid with two angles of his form side by side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHSZyYAVPbs

Jenkins can reportedly throw 800+ feet and I bet could throw one of his Destroyers on a 500' power hyzer. I saw him throw a Roc on a 380' hole in a Florida YT vid, it was skins with Phil Arthur(I think) and Nate Doss and a 'local' player.
I'll try and find that for you later, here's him just ripping drives at the 2008 Long Drive qualifying:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzkobDWkv60

Now it is great to rip 500-600 foot drives but you can be competitive throwing 350-400 if you can nail that every time so don't think you have to throw 600'...

...and don't think that you'll throw 500' overnight either, it will take lots of time, practice and focus.

Old 04-06-2012, 02:03 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 23.5
Found it.
Climo, Doss, Jenkins, & McCray Gorilla Skins at the 2010 Jacksonville Open (Part 1):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GqXs...feature=relmfu

And you know what, I screwed that up, he threw a Roc on a 380' hole at the Players Cup in Florida in 2010 I think, great course and video. I can only find 2008 and that's not it. But Jenkins is in it so why not?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abieQ...ain&playnext=2

Good luck and don't learn how to outdrive me too fast!!!

Last edited by Mr.Scary; 04-06-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:13 AM
Bogey Member

Thanks brother! I have seen the majority of those vids....when I told you I watched some You tube vids, I meant I watched a TON of them, lol. Watched Avery, Doss, Nikko and the like at the 2011 Memorial at Fountain Hills in Phoenix, the one Paul Mcbeth won. Avery is certainly not skinny.....but he's not really the type I had in mind....I'm thinking similar to my build...barrel chest, broad shoulders etc.....I am wondering if my size gets in the way. Obviously flexibility is a must.

Hate to link this vid again but if you take Garret Gurthie's belly and throw it on a 6'2"/260 frame....that's kind of what I am referring to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sxw8ix0CYs

Not to be an information hog but I wanted to refer back to a question I had....
"Should I end with the heel pivoting to release and follow through or should I end on the ball of my right foot?"
Looking at my video it appears I am doing some weird hybrid heel/toe shuffle?!

Also, In the video above I noticed Guthrie's left arm lifts and clears out so his right arm can get more pull through. I only mention this because when I first started throwing again I was naturally doing the same thing (well before watching this video). I since corrected that and pull across my chest.....is it possible that cleaing that left arm would actually help me achieve a bigger pull through and equate into distance?? Obviously doing so would create some serious changes in form.....even worth considering?

BTW, at this point I am throwing my Buzz about 259-275 and my drivers about 300.....320 if I get a hold of one. But getting over 320 has become the bane of my existence!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrepidation View Post
Not to be an information hog but I wanted to refer back to a question I had....
"Should I end with the heel pivoting to release and follow through or should I end on the ball of my right foot?"
Looking at my video it appears I am doing some weird hybrid heel/toe shuffle?!
You're barely pivoting at all. It looks like you're strong enough to pull yourself around a bit after the pivot, but your weight isn't far enough forward for you to pivot correctly. Rather than pulling your back leg around like it looks like you're doing it should come around naturally and you'll end up with your off shoulder pointing at the target. The "Dan Beto" vid where he shows how to build your throw from the hit back will help. Starting from a standstill, doing the weight shift so that you do pivot and follow though all the way is a good place to start.

To answer the question, most end up pivoting on the heel (the quick pivot that happens right about at the hit) but then end up on their toe during the follow though. This will most likely happen naturally if your weight shift is correct.

The rest of the stuff is easiest to work out with the hammer pound drill, IMO. How much pull though or reach back or run up or any of that won't matter near as much if you're timing is off. Without fixing that last 1' before the hit everything else will just help you get better at strong arming. To see what I'm talking about look at where your shoulders are when your disc gets to your right pec. They're already turned towards the target. Compare that with anyone that throws real far. You'll probably see that their shoulders are still in line with the intended flight and their elbow is forward.

tl;dr: Do the hammer pound drills until you feel what manipulating the weight of the disc feels like. Learn to incorporate that into a throw. Build your throw from the hit back. Doing the first two will help reduce "strong arming" and increase actual snap. The second two will help with the rest of your mechanics.

You can check here or at DGR and see if dgdave has any videos you can find. I know he has some somewhere. He's closer to the body type you're asking about and he throws pretty far (Teebirds 400'+) IIRC.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notrepidation View Post
Avery is certainly not skinny.....but he's not really the type I had in mind....I'm thinking similar to my build...barrel chest, broad shoulders etc.
You must be talking offensive tackle size, or at least Prince Fielder size. My guess is that your size would only get in the way if your flexibility is limited. Muscles aren't going to be a hindrance unless you're stiff; fat rolls or moobs might. The trick is that disc golf is more about generating speed than generating raw strength. It takes some muscle to get the whip action going, but it's the twitch more than the heft, if that makes sense.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:47 PM
Bogey Member

Thanks again for the responses fellas. All were and are very helpful. Lewis, actually I was a Middle Linebacker/Fullback .....Not quite lineman size....so more Cecil Fielder (Princes pops......showing my age a bit). I am by no means a solid brick house....but I don't roll with moobs either, lol. And TBH I do find my arms and shoulders get in the way quite a bit. Especially when I don't stretch properly prior to playing. I have found with my limited experience thus far and would agree with you 100% that this game has VERY little to do with how strong you are. Ok....so, big news.....for me anyway.

Last two days I have been throwing, and throwing, and throwing.....I threw so much that I started developing blisters on my index and middle finger.....put on a few band aid's and threw some more. Watched all the videos mentioned in this thread SEVERAL times....although I had already watched them when I first started, it was very wise to watch them again now that I have a little better grasp on what the information means and how to incorporate it. I completely revamped my form. It took a WHILE to get used to taking my eyes off the target/fairway and get a full turn. It took even longer to get comfortable with pivoting on my heel as opposed to my toe....I also think I have improved on keeping my arm straighter on pull through, all though it's apparent I still need to address keeping the disk a little more level.

With all that said, I know I have already received a lot of input, of which I greatly appreciate....I know most of y'all could be playing instead of giving advice to random noob #23,875. I ask that you take a look at this most recent video with my new form. I am hoping this is closer to a form that I can build on. A solid foundation to build my game from if you will. I felt it VERY necessary to listen to what I was told....completely revamp how I throw according to said advice from you folks and hope that I was barking up the correct tree.

Video was shot today...320 foot par 3 at the Universal City Course in Universal City, TX. 4 shots...each shot followed by a 50% speed review. First throw was DX Banshee, Second throw...Star Wraith, Third throw...Millenium Orion LS, Fourth throw....Champion Groove (probably to much disk for my arm this early but it's practice). the Banshee was parked under the basket, the Wraith about 20 feet short and both the Orion and Groove were about 40 feet past the basket (was stoked....I know, chump change for y'all but thrilled the **** out of me! Lol).

Again, if you have time to check it out and/or compare it to the first video and offer feedback I would greatly appreciate it! Is this a better foundation to start building my game on? Are the changes I made obvious and will they benefit me long term? Honestly, the new form feels amazing....it's smooth, i don't feel like i am trying to strong arm it anymore...it just feels......right. Make sense? If I am way off base here let me know and I will hit the chalkboard again and go back to work! Thanks again in advance fellas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3Hdt...ature=youtu.be

Old 04-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: LHBH
A lot better than the first vids. The reach back is good, your arm seems level throughout, and the heel pivot is better. Smooth is good. I'm not as good at recognizing the more technical stuff once you have decent form.

I think the key to all this is to first iron out the multiple aspects of the entire throwing motion , e.g. run up, x-step, reach back, hip twist,shoulder twist, which you've done. Getting the right timing is the most essential.

I know everyone brings this up, but trying driving with some understable putters with the goal being throwing straight for a far as you can. This is the best and fastest way to get smooth form. It also keeps you from strong arming anything, because putters have horrible reactions to strong arming. Once you get some good throws with those, break out your drivers.

The key is to do everything in the drive (with the same proportional timing of each motion) faster. To me, driving distance amounts to how fast you spin from your reach back. Somewhere on here someone had a slo-mo video of Paige Pierce driving where her spin was ridiculously quick.