Old 04-09-2012, 10:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.7
Courses Played: 50
Send a message via AIM to _.-Dut-._
FH worth it? Elbow health...

How damaging is a FH shot? I'm BH dominant but do throw a handful of FHs a round. I have been dealing with some tendonitis, but think that's from racquetball more so than disc golf.

Just curious if FH is relatively safe or it's a sure road to elbow/shoulder issues? Is learning to throw left handed as an alternative even plausible? Am I worrying about something that might not even be an issue?
Old 04-09-2012, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
I think, thrown properly, that you should not have any elbow/shoulder issues when throwing RHFH. I would say to be careful if you decide to try lefty. I tried for a few holes one day to throw lefty and nearly wrecked my left elbow and shoulder because I am not used to doing anything with my left side.

Which ever you do, just be sure to do it properly. I have seen a few players that can throw BH with both hands, and I think we all know someone that can throw both FH and BH with the same hand.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 264
I throw FH on lots of shots and I've never even once gotten a rash.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.3
Courses Played: 55
Throwing Style: RHFH
FH is Good

I throw almost all drives and fairway shots FH and have been doing it for years without any discomfort.
I only throe 330-350, though, so if you need more than that you might want to have a backup plan.
The only thing I ever did to develop my FH was to release as smoothly and snappily as I can (with as much arm speed as I can) while being comfortable.
The only reason I ever decided to throw FH was because I was tired of being sore and hurting myself throwing BH with very poor form.
I'm really satisfied with my FH game, but sometimes flirt with developing my BH, too.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:55 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 73
I'm BH dominant and I have medial epicondilitis (e.g. golfer's elbow). I've been practicing a FH throw for the past 6-9 months and I'm finally starting to get it to pay off. The only time my elbow hurts is when I throw my BH shots with bad form. No issues with the FH. Just my experience.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:08 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _.-Dut-._ View Post
How damaging is a FH shot? I'm BH dominant but do throw a handful of FHs a round. I have been dealing with some tendonitis, but think that's from racquetball more so than disc golf.

Just curious if FH is relatively safe or it's a sure road to elbow/shoulder issues? Is learning to throw left handed as an alternative even plausible? Am I worrying about something that might not even be an issue?
It depends, of course.

On your form, your body, how often and how hard you throw forehands (the same is true with backhands and overheads too).

But the mystery will not linger long if you regularly throw forehands. Your form will be injurious or it won't. Personally I view overheads as placing the most strain on arms and shoulders followed by backhands with forehands being the safest. That is because that is how it works for me after close to 20 years of throwing mainly forehand.

If you can tolerate playing racquetball then you should be able to tolerate throwing forehand. The biggest difference between a kill shot and a sidearm drive is what you hold in your hand (the form is, or at least can be, the same). The racquet weighs more and the constant vibration from the impact on the strings often leads to tennis elbow in highly competitive players.

I know a lot of guys who throw forehand (with varying styles) and I don't see a higher incidence of arm problems with forehanders than backhanders.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.3
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr123psu View Post
I'm BH dominant and I have medial epicondilitis (e.g. golfer's elbow). I've been practicing a FH throw for the past 6-9 months and I'm finally starting to get it to pay off. The only time my elbow hurts is when I throw my BH shots with bad form. No issues with the FH. Just my experience.
Not to threadjack, but what did you do to heal your golfers elbow? Just switching from BH to FH?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 61
Bad form with any style throw will eventually cause pain. Or in my case a pre-existing injury will eventually cause pain.

*curses under breath about impinged rotator cuff*
Old 04-09-2012, 11:21 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Throwing Style: LHBH
I had bad elbow pain last year throwing FH which is one of the main reasons why I started from scratch with my BH. I have gone back to FH every now and then and I believe my pain was from a lack of proper follow through. I was just stopping my elbow right at release.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:36 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers View Post
Not to threadjack, but what did you do to heal your golfers elbow? Just switching from BH to FH?
It's not healed 100% and I don't think it ever will be. Lots of stretching, 3 months of PT, and 3 months of OT. Most of which was focused on the shoulder as that was the weakest link, causing my elbow to hyperextend, especially on throws with poor form. I still work the shoulder out quite a bit and I focus on proper throwing form, but I also wear a golfer's elbow brace (you can find them at any big box sporting goods store) when I play. I throw FH less than 10% of the time (but that's about 1/3 of my field work).