Old 04-11-2012, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 15
Throwing Style: RHBH
Why can't w just have regular Roc's for regular price in Champ plastic. I don't really understand the collector roc thing. I mean I understand they're collector discs and more expensive because they're limited edition. But I'd love a regular Rancho roc in champ or star plastic for regular champ or star prices.

Never mind, if they did that they'd lose DX/KC Pro roc sales because the people that cycle them wouldn't need that fresh one so often for overstable/wind duties.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoyce View Post
Why can't w just have regular Roc's for regular price in Champ plastic. I don't really understand the collector roc thing. I mean I understand they're collector discs and more expensive because they're limited edition. But I'd love a regular Rancho roc in champ or star plastic for regular champ or star prices.

Never mind, if they did that they'd lose DX/KC Pro roc sales because the people that cycle them wouldn't need that fresh one so often for overstable/wind duties.
Premium plastic rocs are an illusion, they all seem to fly like less awesome versions of the base plastic brothers (havent thrown a star rancho tho and i want one even tho i know the disappointment is iminent(sp?))
Old 04-11-2012, 10:17 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 39
seems to me like its gonna be like a surge ss
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Pandamonium Discs

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 78
Quote:

Champ rocs are kept exclusively for the USDGC and is one of the biggest ways that the USDGC raises funds for the tournament so without champ rocs we probably wouldn't have a USDGC
Old 04-11-2012, 10:27 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc Lover View Post
Premium plastic rocs are an illusion, they all seem to fly like less awesome versions of the base plastic brothers (havent thrown a star rancho tho and i want one even tho i know the disappointment is iminent(sp?))
That's good info to have. I've never thrown a premium plastic Rancho. I've thrown a star ontario and it flew kind of like my slightly worn DX, straight with a little fade probably less glide. Didn't throw it for that long though.

I don't think I would mind it flying like a less awesome version of the base plastic brother. What bothers me is the expense for it being less awesome.

I'd want a champ Rancho Roc to fill the overstable midrange slot that a fresh KC pro or DX roc fills. Mainly because champ plastic wears slowly. I play in the woods a lot, that's tough on discs. I guess if I want to cycle rocs I need to get a bunch of back ups so I can have a fresh one to cycle in. I'm currently trying out an Opto Pain and I really like the way it flies but I still find shots that I'm more comfortable throwing a DX roc on.

Oh well I'm done derailing this thread.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 66
Quote:
Oh well I'm done derailing this thread.
This thread is going nowhere anyway. It's the nature of "new innova driver" threads that pop up way before the disc release. Continue the champ Roc derail!
Old 04-11-2012, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmason1 View Post
This ^^ For a while I was trying to try as many I could thinking that they wouldnt be releasing it if it wasnt a decent disc. I was wrong. I mean how far are they going to take this road? Start making a disc of every stability in each speed?

EX) All coming out in 2012
Dominator 13, 5, -1, 2
Teedevil 12, 5, -1, 2
Coitus (sp?) 11, 5, -1, 2
So currently they have the SL in the 10, 5, -1, 2 slot. Think they'll replace the SL since it seems to be on it's way out anyways? They could just take the old Beast mold and call it something new.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:45 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
This thread is going nowhere anyway. It's the nature of "new innova driver" threads that pop up way before the disc release. Continue the champ Roc derail!
Alright I'm in.

I understand that these are fundraiser discs. I guess I also understand that some people collect these for the sake of collection and not for throwing, like baseball cards. I don't understand paying that kind of $$$ for a disc.

I'm much to new to this I assume to fully understand. NBD. I guess my main problem is that part of me loves throwing Roc's. I like the way they fly. I can control them well, some of my best shots have been with the Roc.

My problem has been and continues to be keeping a fresh one in the bag to fight the wind and to be overstable when I need an overstable mid shot.

My other problem is I'm trying not to buy all kinds of plastic just for the sake of buying plastic. I recently picked up an Opto Pain and Opto Core. the Pain is a suitable premium plastic replacement in the overstable slot. But for whatever reason the remaining DX roc I have isn't coming out of the bag, it kind of overlaps with the Pain and the Z Buzzz but it's kind of in the middle as the buzz is straighter with less fade than the roc and the pain is more overstable. I guess I could just go back to cycling. (tried the cycle, lost one, dog decided he would pull the first one I got that was super straight out of my bag and put a tooth hole in the flight plate, forgot to order more when I bought discs online)

The thing about the roc that I think really keeps this last one in the bag is that I can putt with it if it's really windy. I'm not as comfortable doing that with anything else (when the wind is really taking my putter on rides)
Old 04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by atay87 View Post
So currently they have the SL in the 10, 5, -1, 2 slot. Think they'll replace the SL since it seems to be on it's way out anyways? They could just take the old Beast mold and call it something new.
Is the SL really going away??
The SL is my favorite (BH) disc. When I heard the OOP rumors last fall I went out and bought every one that I could get hold of at my local store. Continued to purchase new ones every time I hit a new store over the winter. Now I have so many I will never be able to wear them all out in my life time, and my local store keeps getting more.

Any way... This looks like an interesting disc to me. I use Wraiths as my FH distance driver, so a slightly straighter version would be nice. Plus it has similar numbers to the SL and (hopefully) flies like a faster SL so I will be looking forward to try this one.

Old 04-11-2012, 11:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 56
I guess a better way to phrase it wouldve been to say, there is a trade off in certain areas depending on the mold and plastic (sometimes plastic varies run to run so that is an issue as well)

In general
Ontario- least hss, straight flyer when new, will develop comet like flight
San Marino- some fade when new, beats into a straight flyer before developing a late turn
Rancho - most HSS when new, has more fade and generally keeps it longer than the other 2, eventually will straighten out and will develop a bit more glide as the HSS dwindles

Dx has best grip best glide and least durability
Kc has next best grip next best glide and good durability, will keep te initial flight characteristics longer
Star has decent grip but seems to vary in diff weather conditions, can range from gummy and tacky, to ridgid and slick with a bit of moisture or a 10 degree difference in temp

Champ rocs last forever, glide way less and seem to just fall out of the sky , i imagine if you beat the snot out of one for several years it would be money, but i dont have time for that.

Other roc varieties ;
Classic- an XD with a small bead basically
Special blend- feels like star flies like it to, allegedly more durable than current or recent star
Super roc- feels like a mix of star and pro, flies okay, i have a couple, theyre beefy when new, not bad