Disc Golf Store
Old 10-05-2012, 11:02 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 35
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hey ruby why don't you just watch where you're stepping.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 02:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 10
I looked at the Merrells on Amazon... Wow, these shoes get expensive!

But, for the Filas, they're not durable enough. I stepped on a twig in the back yard, went between the toes and tore the fabric on the big toe, and it's caused a few blisters since then.

Unless you're playing in an open field, they're not going to last.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Merrell Shoes.JPG (20.8 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Mongo97; 10-06-2012 at 02:06 AM. Reason: Oh yeah, original post, Filas
Old 10-06-2012, 01:54 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 8
Vibram for me. I play in classics or Kso's. Lately for the past few months I've been playing in Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures. Skeletoes are cheap knockoffs but a good way to test out if you like toe shoes. I may he looking at those minimalist golf shoes in the future. I believe they're True Linkswear. I can't wear shoes with heels anymore. They feel like I'm wearing stilettos.
Old 10-07-2012, 12:43 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 97
Throwing Style: RHFH
Yes I agree, the Merrells are expensive, but after wearing them for 6 months I am willing to spend the money.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:05 AM
The Man, the Myth, the Legend

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by keltik View Post
Hey ruby why don't you just watch where you're stepping.
When you run as fast as I do, you do not see every stone and every pile of poo.

I just could not get used to them for DG, there is was not enough support and flowers got stuck between the toes.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:20 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 12
Five fingers all the way. Monkey feet is what my wife calls'em I call them comfy. Not really all that awesome in any kind of wet conditions though.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 8
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by discskavenger View Post
Five fingers all the way. Monkey feet is what my wife calls'em I call them comfy. Not really all that awesome in any kind of wet conditions though.
Well, if you wanna submerge them and wear them all day I'd rather have these than regular shoes. You can surf/canoe with VFFs (Vibram Five Fingers) and wear them all day after that., it's just waiting for them to dry, which is why I use the vibarefoot ultra pures for my rainy rounds. When I'm done playing, I just dry my feet, change socks, and wipe down the Ultra Pures. My only gripes about using VFFs for disc golf is the tendency for tall grass around here (with it's sticky, sappy seeds) to get stuck in between the toes and that VFFs offer too good of a grip in the heel, so I'm afraid of getting stuck and really messing up my knee on drives.

I've seen Brian Orosco torch the ninja challenge using what looked like to be KSOs. If people can free run in VFFs, a round of golf shouldn't be an issue. Its kind of like mountain biking where you look ahead and your brain has already processed what's a few feet in front of you so you can concentrate on what's ahead and potentially what you may have to duck underneath. If you're constantly looking at the ground you may miss that low hanging branch or the ravine at the end of a switchback.

The Tarahumara play a soccer-type ball game over Terrain in their sandals, and they run pretty fast,too.

I'm reminded of that Reebok commercial with their new Realflex shoe that demonstrates how flexy the sole are by showing a trail runner blast into water and then step right into a rock that would probably cause me to twist an ankle. Talk about a bad trail runner, he didn't avoid a single obstacle!

I want to try some Keen Delaveagas but I don't want that fat heel or loss of ground feel. But at it's $119 price tag, it's actually a better deal than the merrel or new balance zero trails I've been looking at. Come on, guys, you're selling minimalist/barefoot shoes for 80-100 dollars? I think my best bet is to get some Run Amok mocassins and then buy some vibram rock climbing shoe patches for the which wear areas.
Again, I vote "no" on skeletoes.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.9
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHFH
I used skeletoes for awhile, switched to VFF. I have way too much toe drag for these kinds of shoes. Hell I ripped through a pair of Merril Earths in less than 2 months. Thankfully I got them at REI and swapped them out for the more expensive Merril Chameleons (20%off coupon FTW!). I liked the feel of the skeletoes and VFF but like people have said in tall grass with seed pods they act just like a combine at harvest time.. and if the seed pods have any kind of needles it can be painful, I didn't like spending time picking pods out from between my toes. If I only played lawn type courses or sand courses they would be ideal. They make several versions of the VFF and some are just as slick feeling as my skeletoes, but even those are way better built. I got the Skeletoes first just to see how I liked the feel, then used my REI check and outlet store to get my VFF at under $30. You just have to wait for the good deals to come along.