Disc Golf Store
Old 08-10-2012, 10:11 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 58
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankeye View Post
The reason why the guy complained is because the td broke the rules about payout.
I completely understand why he complained but I just wouldn't have done it.
Even though the TD was wrong in splitting the Grand Prize, it's not enough to vilify him over, which is what happened when discraft raked him over the coals. The winner received a nice haul of plastic, bags and swag. As I said, I would never have split them up but it was done with good intentions. It's not like he kept the 8 discs for himself. Sounds like he ran a pretty nice ace race with that one exception and now he is probably fuming over the butt whipping he got from discraft to the point maybe he's not gonna do this again. I ask again, who won here by the guy crying to Discraft? Hopefully the TD runs the Ace Race again next year and learned a valuable lesson from this.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:19 AM
Par Member

I run the Detroit Area Ace Race and this is what we do with profits:

---------------------------------------------------------------

(St. Clair Shores, Sat. Oct. 20th)

Bonus Prizes for OUR Brys Ace Race Only:

25 brand new discs (Z and ESP plastic) will be given away as bonus prizes, in addition to the grand prize for the winner (A bag and 8 new discs for most aces, metal hits to break a tie.)

Like last year, for bonus prizes: 20 will be given one at a time for randomly drawn holes afterwards. Whoever got the best score (ace or metal) on that hole wins the disc of their choice, like a draft. A closest to the pin contest will break ties.

The grand prize winner will not be eligible to win any bonus discs.
(he or she already won 8 in the grand prize!!)

The other 5 discs left over will be randomly given out to the loser's pool (those with no aces or metal hits will turn their cards in)

That way, everyone gets a chance to win something!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Better turnouts each year will help us give out more prizes. Last year, we only had 10 "bonus discs" and 66 people. I'm hoping for 100 this year, so 25 bonus discs will be given out. As the event grows, so will the prizes.

Last edited by Earic02; 08-10-2012 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earic02 View Post
I run the Detroit Area Ace Race and this is what I do with profits:

---------------------------------------------------------------

(St. Clair Shores, Sat. Oct. 20th)

Bonus Prizes for OUR Brys Ace Race Only:

25 brand new discs (Z and ESP plastic) will be given away as bonus prizes, in addition to the grand prize for the winner (A bag and 8 new discs for most aces, metal hits to break a tie.)

Like last year, for bonus prizes: 20 will be given one at a time for randomly drawn holes afterwards. Whoever got the best score (ace or metal) on that hole wins the disc of their choice, like a draft. A closest to the pin contest will break ties.

The grand prize winner will not be eligible to win any bonus discs.
(he or she already won 8 in the grand prize!!)

The other 5 discs left over will be randomly given out to the loser's pool (those with no aces or metal hits will turn their cards in)

That way, everyone gets a chance to win something!!
Well done Sir.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

What do you other Ace Race TD's think of allowing players to throw both discs per hole both rounds? Is there a downside to this?
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
The only downside I've heard is that some like to keep one disc pristine as a wall hanger. Otherwise, I've been a big fan of using both discs.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 22.3
Courses Played: 38
One disc per hole keeps a player from zeroing in on the second disc shot. I think two discs per hole favors the more skilled player. I like the new players having a chance to get lucky when everyone is just getting the one disc per hole. A skilled player should have an advantage either way.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:31 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Any player can make adjustments, and it's definitely a more fun event with more aces in my opinion.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm View Post
What do you other Ace Race TD's think of allowing players to throw both discs per hole both rounds? Is there a downside to this?
We had a total of 26 baskets, so we did not have time to play two rounds because the course itself was too large. We had side games, lunch, awards, and whatnot that would have made for a really long afternoon if we had played two rounds. There were several groups there who play sparingly and are not used to a tournament atmosphere. We would have definitely lost them if they believed they would be there for over five hours.

We had every person throw both of their discs on every hole, making for a total of 52 shots. I personally would have liked to have done more, but with everything we did, the tournament ended up being four hours long. That ended up being a perfect time. Players who WANTED to keep a proto pristine were not allowed to play a second round, nor were they allowed to run up and grab their first disc so they could throw that again. If they decided not to throw their second disc because they wanted it fresh (either for keepsake or because they intended to sell it later), they forfeited their second shot and had to settle for 26 shots instead of 52. We did not have a single player who did this, and I congratulate all of our players coming out with the spirit of playing and not being a collector.

Since we were hosted by our amateur league, we still had more portable baskets to spare. Maybe next year we will bump it up to 30 baskets since we still had a little land to play with. Plus, we used the same layout for two years in a row; we are due for a little course shakeup. With it then being our third year running it, with the returning players knowing what to expect we can definitely make it a bigger atmosphere, but I still think pushing anything over five hours is going to scare people away.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 8
I do hate to see someone get raked over the coals after spending their own time and even some of their own money to put on the event for many people. However, this is a Discraft sponsored event and they specifically tell everyone on their website the rules, player packs and prizes. In a way the TD's are representing Discraft locally, so they should honor that relationship by following the prize guidelines.

This was my first Ace Race, and before signing up I checked the Discraft website to see what I was getting into. If something happened and my player pack was lacking things I had paid for and expected, I would be upset. Likewise, if I won this local event and found out my bag and 8 discs were going to be split up among 7-8 other people I would not be happy. Whatever is advertised needs to be delivered and match up correctly, otherwise you risk having problems.

Vice versa, there was no mention of donuts, pizza, pop, water, gatorade, etc... in the ad. Our TD opted to do this on his own, which I greatly appreciate. However if none of this was provided, that would be okay to as it was never the expectation. I have no problems with some minor tweaking to hole guidelines, short holes, longer holes, throw 1 disc, throw 2 disc, play 18 holes, play 24 holes, whatever. But IMO, the player packs and winner pack should not be altered and Discraft has a right to be upset when they are.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamm View Post
Another downside is if a player loses a disc during the round. I have had Ace Races where players throw into the lake and were then down to only one disc.

This year was our first year to do two throws per hole and only 1 round. I liked it better. Faster, less walking, and you get to zero in on the disc better.